Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
MajkJaro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
which iMac 21,5?

I'm thinking about buying the new iMac 21,5 cause I can't afford the 27. What do I need it for? I like photography so for photo editing (photoshop, lightroom). Some dslr movie editing (very rare). Web browsing, movies, mp3 music and normal every day stuff. Games - not very often, I like old games - quake3, coutner-strike, starcraft but it would be fine if it could run new games like Crysis etc.
Would iMac suit my needs? I'm thinking about buying the new cheaper one (with 640 graphics) and adding to it extra 8gb of RAM.

What do you think? Is it a good choice?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
martinm0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
I'm thinking about buying the new iMac 21,5 cause I can't afford the 27. What do I need it for? I like photography so for photo editing (photoshop, lightroom). Some dslr movie editing (very rare). Web browsing, movies, mp3 music and normal every day stuff. Games - not very often, I like old games - quake3, coutner-strike, starcraft but it would be fine if it could run new games like Crysis etc.
Would iMac suit my needs? I'm thinking about buying the new cheaper one (with 640 graphics) and adding to it extra 8gb of RAM.

What do you think? Is it a good choice?
The 2012 21.5" iMacs do not have user upgradeable RAM, so you cannot add additional RAM like you could in the prior models (at least, not without pulling it all apart).

That said, if you can get by on 8GB RAM then go for it. Otherwise, you might want to look at a 2011 or the 27".
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816
 
Nightarchaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I would go for a 2011 model if your stuck with the 21.5", at least that way you will have some form of expand-ability (Ram and at a push being able to add an SSD later) instead of the disposability of the modern 2012 iMac.

I bought mine right on the edge of the upgrade to the modern style and was so glad i went with the old model, ive got 16GB Ram and an aftermarket, self fitted 512Gb SSD (still not fusioned it though)
__________________
iWatch in action http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploa...ael-Knight.jpg
MacBook Pro/iPad Mini/TV1/iMac/iPhone5
Nightarchaon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Photography would be nice for a bigger 27" screen. Would go for the 2011 27" if there are budget constraints. Like what was posted earlier, the late 2012 21.5" iMac has a ram limit and I heard it also has ghost image retention issues
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
What is ghost image retention?

In Poland its hard to buy in an apple store the old iMac - it has dust issues?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
What is ghost image retention?

In Poland its hard to buy in an apple store the old iMac - it has dust issues?
Here is a discussion about ghost image retention. It's more of a hardware problem and not a dust issue as far as I know because this happens on brand new Macs. This ghosting issues also occurs on some retina MacBook Pros.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:42 AM   #7
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
it would suck to have this on a new iMac

i'm going to get probably the 8gb base 21,5...
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Yes, you can go for 21.5 base model..it is powerful and the 21.5 model has no issues.
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:59 AM   #9
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
and why is that? there is a different lcd on a 27 and a 21,5 iMac?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
i don't work at apple but seems that the 27" has more problems than 21.5"

----------

Maybe yes, different brands for ips like they have for retina macbook LG and Samsung, samsung has no problems but Lg displays has ghosting issues
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
i don't work at apple but seems that the 27" has more problems than 21.5"

----------

Maybe yes, different brands for ips like they have for retina macbook LG and Samsung, samsung has no problems but Lg displays has ghosting issues
You are probably correct. 2 of my friends had problems with their Retina MacBook Pros' screens and both of them are made by LGs
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:56 AM   #12
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
is there a big difference between the graphic card in the base 21,5 and the one with 650m card?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:30 AM   #13
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
is there a big difference between the graphic card in the base 21,5 and the one with 650m card?
I would say, yes. I have no benchmarks to back it up (there are some probably on barefeats.com), but I would estimate about 30% fps loss in 640m.
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:59 AM   #14
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
but will the base iMac 21,5 run Crysis and some other new games?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:05 AM   #15
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Well, you could always do a youtube search, like

imac geforce 640 call of duty

and see if there's anything of worth.
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:14 AM   #16
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
but will the base iMac 21,5 run Crysis and some other new games?
Yes you will be able to play Crysis 1 and 2 very well on high settings, Crysis 3 i guess you will play it at 900p on medium so Yes
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:52 AM   #17
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
I've suddenly thought something. Mainly I play games with my PS3 so I thought maybe I should go with the rMBP. Why?
I am an judicial officer apprentice (not sure how you call it correctly) so you can say I'm still studying. I thought that maybe the best way would be to go with the rMBP13 and an external monitor. What do you think?

The rMBP has very good reviews and looks more firm than the 15 inch. The 15 inch though is beyond my budget. The iMac 21,5 in Poland costs about 1700 bucks and the rMBP 2000. Nice prices, arent they?

I would like also to have the iMac but I think that having a rMBP with an external monitor (in 2-3 months time) could be a nice option. Waiting for your opinions
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:55 AM   #18
TjeuV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
I've suddenly thought something. Mainly I play games with my PS3 so I thought maybe I should go with the rMBP. Why?
I am an judicial officer apprentice (not sure how you call it correctly) so you can say I'm still studying. I thought that maybe the best way would be to go with the rMBP13 and an external monitor. What do you think?

The rMBP has very good reviews and looks more firm than the 15 inch. The 15 inch though is beyond my budget. The iMac 21,5 in Poland costs about 1700 bucks and the rMBP 2000. Nice prices, arent they?

I would like also to have the iMac but I think that having a rMBP with an external monitor (in 2-3 months time) could be a nice option. Waiting for your opinions
As it is a great possibility ... I would only recommend buying the macbook pro if you're a lot on the road, otherwise, stick with the iMac. Just because in my experience I felt that using a laptop as if it were a desktop with that external monitor, you'll go through your battery life much quicker, it'll degrade much faster.


edit: I bought a mac mini to take with me every sunday evening to go to my student house and back on fridays. I got a two screens, one back home, one in my studentroom. In addition to that, I bought a macbook air 13" for class notes only and I still got a battery life exceeding the 7 hours as promised, after one year in use I still got about 9 hours battery.
Years before that, I only had a macbook pro 15" to do all the work, and my battery went total loss in about a year - hardly getting two hours.
__________________
No Nonsense!
TjeuV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:34 AM   #19
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Had anyone compared other ultrabooks to the rMBP? The Dell XPS 14 i7 3517U/GT630M/8GB/500GB/mSata32GB?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
put here the two configurations with price and lets compare them
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:47 PM   #21
MajkJaro
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
The configuration od the Dell is above . the rMBP is the 2013 version
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.1 - Fan Noise - Late 2013 27 iMac alksion iMac 139 Jan 17, 2014 09:51 AM
Help, Erased iMac HDD volume drive trying reset my iMac to factory conditions trueq iMac 12 Dec 23, 2013 09:27 AM
Is possible to install Ati HD 6670m (iMac 2011 21,5) in iMac 27 late 2009?? Gianca90 iMac 4 Nov 5, 2013 04:08 PM
Late 2009 27" iMac Graphics Card DYING AGAIN. Which new iMac to replace it? DracoDWS iMac 0 Sep 29, 2013 08:50 PM
iMac late 2012 not the same brightness as iMac 2011/2010/2009? Krrrt iMac 10 May 16, 2013 08:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC