Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perpenso

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Four times the number of pixels to draw/move

The A5X in the iPad 3 had over 9 times better graphics than that in the [iPad] 2.

Where is 9 times coming from? IIRC the iPad 3 has twice the RAM (512 v 1024), essentially the same CPU and a GPU with twice the number of cores (dual v quad).

Also note that when PPI doubles from non-retina to retina a game now has four time as many pixels to draw or move. There may be bottlenecks between GPU cores and the memory or display that manifest more readily when the workload quadruples.

If a game was only using a fraction of the capability of an iPad 2 then going to an iPad 3 would probably be no problem. But if the game was pushing an iPad 2 hard then going to an iPad 3 may very well offer some problems.

mellowman1500

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Los Angeles
would you choose the iPad 3 over the 4 if money was tight ?

Because the iPad 4 is coming out and it's practically the 3 with just a better processor for gaming. They couldn't sell both the 3 and 4 concurrently, they'd be competing themselves. Also, cost justification would be hard since the 3 should "move down" in the pricing structure as the 4 comes out. However, the amount it takes to build one is still the same. Therefore, they had to stop the iPad 3 and start making iPad 4 which in the end makes them a lot more money. Especially since people will be frothing at the mouth for a new iDevice, no matter what it is.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
The iPad 2 is an iPad with no Retina.

The iPad 3 was an iPad with Retina but had problems because its components were too weak

And the iPad 4 is an iPad with Retina that has upgraded components so the Device is now balanced.

That is why apple Discontinued iPad 3

Because they have a Retina Display iPad that works better then the 3 now.

So they have a Cheap option iPad and a better quality more Expensive option aswell.

Utter BS yet people voted this response up? Problems because its components were too weak? That's a new one to me.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Wanna try that again? Maybe in English? I have no idea what you're trying to say. Good luck.

It was in English. Some people just lack the intelligence to understand it. It's quite admirable that someone who does not speak English as his native language can compose a message in English that most people have no problem understanding. It's equally foolish for the native English speaker that probably knows no other language to poke fun at the same person. Do you have an idea of what I'm saying? It's not a subtle point I'm making. Good luck to you in "getting it."

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The 3rd gen. iPad was cleared out of inventory to make way for the 4th gen. The remaining iPad 3rd gen. were probably held to the side for replacements in store. I got my iPad replaced in November and swear it was brand new, not refurbished.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
It was in English. Some people just lack the intelligence to understand it. It's quite admirable that someone who does not speak English as his native language can compose a message in English that most people have no problem understanding. It's equally foolish for the native English speaker that probably knows no other language to poke fun at the same person. Do you have an idea of what I'm saying? It's not a subtle point I'm making. Good luck to you in "getting it."

You're just now responding to a post in August? Happy new year. BTW: the post I responded to was utter non-sense. Have a nice day.

DLAROC

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
There is almost no difference between the 3 and 4.

The only differences are the lightning connector, upgraded A chip, and thats all. I own the 3rd gen and my cousin has the 4th gen and when they are next to each other, you can tell no difference. The screen looks the same, and the speed is the same when loading apps, games, and the web. This is why Apple discontinued the 3 because they are almost exactly the same. No big improvements. Ive had the 3 since the first day the 5.1.1 Jailbreak for it came out (Also owned the 1 and 2) and i have had not one bit of any sluggishness, even jailbroken. Its super fast and awesome. I take it with me almost everywhere i go and im on it all day. Even after about 9 months or so the battery still last a long time. Im looking forward to the iPad 5 tho because it will have a smaller bezel and look similar to the mini but bigger. Awesomeness.

Side note: i just purchased a brand new 32Gb iPod touch 5 today off craigslist for only 150! Couldnt pass that deal up. Now i own the 4th gen (which is very slow nowadays) and the 5 (Which is sweet!). Im just excited and wanted to tell someone :)

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
because Apple is pushing the lightning connector :)

Exactly, they want everyone using the lightning models for all of their devices, although unless they get rid of the 4s once the 5s/6 comes out, not sure how that will work since the 4s will still use the old connector.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Exactly, they want everyone using the lightning models for all of their devices, although unless they get rid of the 4s once the 5s/6 comes out, not sure how that will work since the 4s will still use the old connector.

What do you think the lower cost plastic iPhone rumors are about? No more expensive double gorilla glass paneled second tier phone.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
What do you think the lower cost plastic iPhone rumors are about? No more expensive double gorilla glass paneled second tier phone.

Except that cheaper phone is for the developing markets and not here in the states...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.