Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:31 AM   #101
pdutta2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Count me in the ipad5 camp. Really hoping it gets the same bezel design as the mini. I'm returning my mini today as its just too small. The ipad5 will be a great upgrade to my ipad2.
pdutta2000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #102
SR45
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
I also agree with the iPad 5 purchases. Mini, if one buys one, is normally stuck with the smaller size, and if you have second thoughts with the smaller text/movies/etc, though you will be able to sell it if dissatisfied, but with a bit of time/hassles. With the larger screen with the iPad 5, it is still portable, and one can do, and see things more clearly. Mini has some strong points, but the larger ipads have more in my opinion.
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:23 PM   #103
AppleRobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
I also agree with the iPad 5 purchases. Mini, if one buys one, is normally stuck with the smaller size, and if you have second thoughts with the smaller text/movies/etc, though you will be able to sell it if dissatisfied, but with a bit of time/hassles. With the larger screen with the iPad 5, it is still portable, and one can do, and see things more clearly. Mini has some strong points, but the larger ipads have more in my opinion.
The price and upgraded display will only cannibalize the larger upcoming ipad even further. The current Mini with its screen and resolution already did. I did not mean to imply the 5 would not sell at all, obviously many bought the 4 for better resolution and bigger screen but the 5 will not have both advantages more or less.

I
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:51 PM   #104
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincoln, UK
I like the screen size of my iPad 4, and I have never been in a situation where the Mini fitted, but the full size model didn't. I would stick with the full size.

But I have a friend who occasionally works in prisons. The maximum bag size he is allowed to take in will fit an iPad Mini, but not a full size one. Pity he had already bought an Android tablet before the Mini was announced.

People have different needs, and both models have their strengths, but I think price will make the Mini model more popular.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:14 PM   #105
mrcam216
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I would prefer the larger screen, but you should make a poll
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Apple TV 2, Canon 7d, canon 6d, w/ 70-200 2.8, 17-55 2.8Is, and some others

www.cameronrphotography.com
mrcam216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:14 PM   #106
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
First off, I have an ipad 4 so how did I decide cheaper is better when I returned the Mini? Same for anyone else doing that BUT retina drove the decision more so for most than the larger size. That never crossed your mind? Checkmate 1.

So ask yourself this? Soon the ipad mini 2 will come out more than likely with retina and cheaper than larger iPads as usual. The initial Mini outsold them regardless. Guess what will happen even more? Checkmate 2.

Glad you are not my opponent playing that game. Would be very boring for me, lol.
Did you know that The US is introducing a new initiative to combat the newly classified disease, "Trollism". From July 21st 2013, all known trolls will have their Frontal Lobe zapped in a measure to combat outrageous examples of reasoning on popular talkback/forum sites. The DDC believes this will dramatically make the internet a much healthier place for everyone.


And in the interest of everybody who doesn't care about my opinion - the iPad 5 will sell bucketloads and so will the mini 2 if it's Retina.
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:00 AM   #107
AppleRobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking monkey View Post
Did you know that The US is introducing a new initiative to combat the newly classified disease, "Trollism". From July 21st 2013, all known trolls will have their Frontal Lobe zapped in a measure to combat outrageous examples of reasoning on popular talkback/forum sites. The DDC believes this will dramatically make the internet a much healthier place for everyone.


And in the interest of everybody who doesn't care about my opinion - the iPad 5 will sell bucketloads and so will the mini 2 if it's Retina.
The ipad 5 might sell better than the 4 (which many felt wasn't a big deal and stuck with what they had) cause it will be lighter and the bezel smaller if rumors are correct.

Will it sell in bucket loads? The 4 sure didn't and the Mini crushed it 2 to 1 with proof offered with resources linked back a few months ago. I'm sure the price had lots to do with it and will again.

State your reasons as to why to defend your position as many have. The Mini 2 may not crush the 5 the way it crushed the 4 but again the price and form factor has already proven to be hard to dispute given the sales and that was even without retina.

Personally? I don't care per se but I just inquired as to who would buy the 5 especially if the Mini 2 comes with retina. Whose trolling??????????

Last edited by AppleRobert; Jul 1, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:45 AM   #108
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Will it sell in bucket loads? The 4 sure didn't and the Mini crushed it 2 to 1 with proof offered with resources linked back a few months ago. I'm sure the price had lots to do with it and will again.
There are a couple of reasons why the Mini sold really well including the novelty of it. The most compelling reasons were weight, size and price.

Weight. If the 5 is light enough the desire to have a larger faster device may bring people back to the full iPad. The Mini isn't completely pocketable so you would need to have a bag regardless in which case the smaller size isn't a completely compelling reason.

Size. Some people genuinely wanted a smaller iPad, some people just wanted to see if they used a smaller iPad more. This is where the novelty of the Mini may have been responsible for purchases.

Price. There is no way the full iPad will beat it on price, but the Mini will never get the full specs of the full iPad. The only reason I went smaller was that I could pick up two for the cost of a deluxe iPad 4 and I was willing to put up with the sacrifices that choice entailed. Had my budget been higher I wouldn't have chosen a relatively low-spec device.

The only way to know if the Mini is objectively preferred is over several years sales not the first year sales of a new device.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:55 AM   #109
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 4th padded cell on the right
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdutta2000 View Post
Count me in the ipad5 camp. Really hoping it gets the same bezel design as the mini. I'm returning my mini today as its just too small.
My thoughts exactly. I prefer having more screen real estate, especially when working with photos while out in the field. This will be my first iPad & it's been difficult at best being patient for its release but I believe in the long run, it's the right move for me and worth being patient. The mini's screen is just too small for me, as I need the larger screen area for work and sharing work related photos of options on the fly.
shadow puppet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:41 PM   #110
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I'll reserve judgment until I see a Retina iPad mini in person. I like the form factor and weight of the mini, but not the standard display, so I bought an iPad 4 last December. (I upgraded from an iPad 1.) I like the large display of the iPad 4, because I use it for reading and looking at photos. If everything looks as readable to me on a Retina mini, and the "wow factor" of seeing photos at the larger size isn't dimisnished too much, then I might go for the mini next time. If I still prefer the larger size of the conventional iPad, then I'll probably sit out the 5 and wait for the 6.
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:32 PM   #111
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
if they slim down the 10 inch ipad 5 to have thinner boarders like the ipad mini and make it lighter i will be grabbing an ipad 5 instead of ipad mini.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:53 PM   #112
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
The ipad 5 might sell better than the 4 (which many felt wasn't a big deal and stuck with what they had) cause it will be lighter and the bezel smaller if rumors are correct.

Will it sell in bucket loads? The 4 sure didn't and the Mini crushed it 2 to 1 with proof offered with resources linked back a few months ago. I'm sure the price had lots to do with it and will again.

State your reasons as to why to defend your position as many have. The Mini 2 may not crush the 5 the way it crushed the 4 but again the price and form factor has already proven to be hard to dispute given the sales and that was even without retina.

Personally? I don't care per se but I just inquired as to who would buy the 5 especially if the Mini 2 comes with retina. Whose trolling??????????
Mate, you're a troll as you just harp on and on about irrelevant things that nobody is disputing and ignore the answers given.

The simple answer is: The 5s bigger screen will be a big deal to a lot of people. Will the mini be more popular than the 5 if it has retina? Of course! There's room for both. What's your point? it's not Sega v Nintendo.
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #113
RevTEG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca
To "me" the cheaper price point of the Mini is not an issue. However, getting my work done is. I travel and teach around the world. I do most all of my lesson building right on my ipad. Then teach from it as well. When the Mini came out I bought one. Then returned it two weeks later. As did many of my colleagues. The screen is just not big enough for my personal likes. It's to hard to type on the Mini. Plus the reading experience while teaching was less than optimal.

My ten year old has a Mini for gaming and fun. I'm not a Mini hater. It just didn't meet my work needs.

For me, I would much rather pay the extra $ and have a product that works better for my style of use. I will be getting the iPad 5.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #114
tann
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, England
I think there will be lots who get iPad 5. It won't be as big and heavy as iPad 4 vs mini, so this will not put off people.

Also, I think the iPad mini 2 will be retina + A6X + 16gb -> 64gb.

I think iPad 5 will be retina + A7X + 32gb -> 128gb.

So the extra 16gb on the base model might be worth while to a lot of people, because at current prices *hypothetically* it would only be an extra $70 to go from a 32gb mini to 32gb 5. Getting the faster chips in the process.

Maybe the iPad 5 will have a better battery life too? Like the MacBook Air 11 vs 13.
__________________
2013 13" MacBook Air i5/8GB/256GB || White 64GB iPhone 5 || 32GB Cellular Silver iPad rMini!
Follow me on Twitter!
tann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:36 AM   #115
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Anyone who likes a bigger tablet would still get the 5 >_>
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.10 DP6
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:19 PM   #116
skiltrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Anyone who likes a bigger tablet would still get the 5 >_>
Yup. Size trumps all this other stuff. Most people who buy a mini are buying it for the form factor. They either don't understand the spec differences, or just don't care.

Personally, I'd love to have iPad 4 specs in my mini, and for music production, they'd be used. But the full size iPad form factor just doesn't work for me, so I just accept what's under the mini's hood.

Next gen I'll still be getting a mini regardless of specs vs specs. I'm hoping for 1GB of RAM, as that's what I'm missing the most.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz Quad i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD iPad mini retina 32GB iPod classic 160GB iPod touch 4 8GB
skiltrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:22 PM   #117
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Yup. Size trumps all this other stuff. Most people who buy a mini are buying it for the form factor. They either don't understand the spec differences, or just don't care.

Personally, I'd love to have iPad 4 specs in my mini, and for music production, they'd be used, but the full size iPad form factor just doesn't work for me, so I just accept what's under the hood.

Next gen I'll still be getting a mini regardless of specs vs specs.
Exactly.

Everyone should realize that this is why the mini exists. Some people just want a smaller tablet. That being said, I couldn't get by with a mini... my tablet needs are different than what it would meet.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.10 DP6
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:15 PM   #118
musika
macrumors 65816
 
musika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Music production is lovely on the full-sized iPad.
__________________
I write about lots of things at turtlepie.net.
musika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #119
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I totally love the size and weight of my Mini, but lately the small fonts are really getting to me so I find myself using my iPad 3 more. Hopefully the iPad 5 comes in lighter. That might convince me to sell both my Mini and my 3. Otherwise I'll just tough it out until version 6 comes about.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the iPAD MINI 2 have 'retina' display and A6? Should I wait to buy the mini? saintforlife iPad 71 Jun 26, 2014 07:23 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini with retina for $50 off at Best Buy triple-tap iPad 40 Feb 15, 2014 09:21 PM
All iPads: If the iPad 5 has the same resolution (PPI) as iPad Mini Retina, which will you buy? seasurfer iPad 17 Jan 14, 2013 01:33 PM
iPhone/iPad retina screen owners: Will YOU buy the iPad mini? Jacoblee23 iPad 23 Oct 23, 2012 05:31 PM
Would you buy an ipad mini without a retina screen? Che Castro iPad 177 Oct 6, 2012 01:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC