Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The Mini has exactly the same amount of real estate as any other iPad, and more than the vast majority of other tablets. Everything is just physically 20% smaller.

"same amount of real estate" does not equal 20% smaller.:rolleyes:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
"same amount of real estate" does not equal 20% smaller.:rolleyes:

It does.

An iPad mini shows exactly the same amount of content on the screen as every other iPad ever made. They all display 1024x768 points of content. The physical elements are 20% smaller on the Mini, but the amount of total content displayed is exactly the same.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
The facebook update is awesome! It's their best release yet, very fast. However, it pales in comparison to the mobile web version. In the app I get sponsored posts and I can't find the sort by recent or top stories - I'm sure I'll find it. Not that it worked well in the previous version, even most recent omitted stories that appeared in the browser and I still received sponsored posts. The app is force-fed and sucks. No offense to those who love it.

Slide out the left hand side and tap on the cog on 'News Feed' and you can choose most recent or top stories. Don't think there a lot we can do about sponsored ads on mobile devices though, Facebook just want to make more money :rolleyes: It is slightly annoying when I accidentally tap one and it takes me to the App Store.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
It does.

An iPad mini shows exactly the same amount of content on the screen as every other iPad ever made. They all display 1024x768 points of content. The physical elements are 20% smaller on the Mini, but the amount of total content displayed is exactly the same.

Now you are all of a sudden using the word "content", LOL!

We have the technology to put all the "content" on the head of a pin but imagine trying to use the keyboard:p

There is a difference in "real estate" and "content".

Something tells me you really do not know the difference! LOL!:p

Enjoy your little mini!:rolleyes:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
The Mini has exactly the same amount of real estate as any other iPad, and more than the vast majority of other tablets. Everything is just physically 20% smaller.

Didn't you know the iPad would be smaller? Seems like bad planning. What he is saying. That nothing is squashed or stretched it "looks the same" but yeah fact the screen is smaller will make everything easier to hold.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Slide out the left hand side and tap on the cog on 'News Feed' and you can choose most recent or top stories. Don't think there a lot we can do about sponsored ads on mobile devices though, Facebook just want to make more money :rolleyes: It is slightly annoying when I accidentally tap one and it takes me to the App Store.

Ahhh there it is, thanks!

I find I get less sponsored commercials appearing and the most recent posts are more accurate in the web version over the app on iOS.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Now you are all of a sudden using the word "content", LOL!

We have the technology to put all the "content" on the head of a pin but imagine trying to use the keyboard:p

There is a difference in "real estate" and "content".

Something tells me you really do not know the difference! LOL!:p

Enjoy your little mini!:rolleyes:

I understand it perfectly, which is why I own an iPad 4 not a Mini.

I'm not sure why one would buy the 20% smaller device when they really wanted the larger one? If Apple had scaled up the content to a larger size, everyone would have complained about how little useful content was displayed on the screen.

The whole point of the Mini, it seems to me, is that you get the same iPad experience in a physically smaller device.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I understand it perfectly, which is why I own an iPad 4 not a Mini.

I'm not sure why one would buy the 20% smaller device when they really wanted the larger one? If Apple had scaled up the content to a larger size, everyone would have complained about how little useful content was displayed on the screen.

The whole point of the Mini, it seems to me, is that you get the same iPad experience in a physically smaller device.

It is all about money. Apple needed to compete in this size to remain competitive. Apple is down to only 50% of the tablet sales now and coming out with the mini was a no brainer!

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Lack of screen real estate is why my mini is already on the way back to apple.

All the iPads have the same "screen real estate".

iPad mini has a smaller screen, but the same "screen real estate" as the iPad 1 & 2. Same resolution, same real estate. iPad Mini just has a smaller screen.

iPad 3 & 4 might have double the resolution, but has the same "screen real estate" as the iPad 1 & 2 since iOS just doubles the pixels use on the iPad 3 & 4. You are not going to sell more stuff/content on the iPad 4 screen than an iPad 2. It's just more detailed on the iPad 4.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
All the iPads have the same "screen real estate".

iPad mini has a smaller screen, but the same "screen real estate" as the iPad 1 & 2. Same resolution, same real estate. iPad Mini just has a smaller screen.

iPad 3 & 4 might have double the resolution, but has the same "screen real estate" as the iPad 1 & 2 since iOS just doubles the pixels use on the iPad 3 & 4. You are not going to sell more stuff/content on the iPad 4 screen than an iPad 2. It's just more detailed on the iPad 4.

Sorry it a smaller screen does to equal same real estate. Maybe same content but NOT same real estate. :mad:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Sorry it a smaller screen does to equal same real estate. Maybe same content but NOT same real estate. :mad:

There is a reason why there is a distinction between screen size and screen real estate.

A 24" 1080p monitor has the same screen real estate as a 20" 1080p monitor.

A 1080p monitor has the same real estate as a 1080p monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.