Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
mac00l
macrumors 6502

Anyone having BB legacy habits???

I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

Anyone having this or any other habits???
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 AM   #2
monkor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac00l View Post
I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thankfully, no. And I'm still using a Curve as well.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
MattBookBower
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkor View Post
You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.
Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I prefer landscape keyboard sliders over the BB keyboards. I find the BB keyboards too narrow and the keys too close together for my liking.

My old Desire Z died in July, so I had to switch to touch screen keyboards. It took me about 4 months to get to the point that I can tolerate it. At one point, I was thinking of ditching it for a keyboard slider phone. I'm accepting touch screen keyboard for now.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:32 PM   #6
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:

yeah the only time i use one hand..is when driving.
two hands always to type.
long live the sidekick!
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #7
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Wow I find it easier to type one handed and that i mess up more when using 2.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
tvith
macrumors member

One of the very few things I enjoyed on Android, the swype keyboard. At first I hated it, but once I got the hang of it...it was the best on handed keyboard I've used in my life. I only always had touch screen, going as far back as windows vx6800. I still find myself sliding my fingers on the iphone. As for the iPhone, I do use both hands on the iphone. I find that I'm able to type faster on the iphone than any other phone i've used....which I didn't expect and was a pleasant surprise
tvith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
monkor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.
Agreed about stylus pens, agreed about voice dictation.

I'm thinking more along the lines of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbO2...layer_embedded

I think that would about do it if that technology could become more feasible. I know that's in the future, but it's what I would prefer.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone