Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I really don't get the ideal of constantly upgrading with every new release. I feel like the more use you get from something the more it pays for its self. I went from a 1st gen iphone to the 5... a huge jump and I do love my new phone but was perfectly happy with my dinosaur... However, it was becoming obsolete, with no OS updates since 3.01 or something, I could no longer use many apps, or download new ones.

I do feel like I got my money's worth from that phone and will always prefer to use stuff till it wears out. My truck is almost 10 years old, paid for and in great condition, I would love it to go another 10!

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Im considering slowing down on the upgrades. It started for me when they released the 4th Gen iPad. There is just no need to keep blindly updating. I think from now on I will only upgrade when there is a genuinely big reason to do so. Plus by upgrading less often I'll see MORE of an improvement when I do.

Besides Apple's upgrades are usually pretty small so its not as if there will be any huge loss anyway. I think I am finally out of that obsessive upgrade loop.

Ive even held of buying my daughter an iPad mini this year as its almost certain to receive a retina display next year. An upgrade worth holding off for.

----------

Sounds like your friends are very hard on / or fail to understand / or have phones that should be returned for warranty exchanges, not everyone is on top of taking care of their phones.

That said I do know that it can be very nerve racking for someone in your position to accept the current success Samsung is having.

It's why I bought not only the SGS III, but the Note II and the Nexus. A wonderful trio of the terrific Android phones. Trouble free, annoyance free, fast and fun, I could not be happier.

Or, actually let me backup and reveal _what would_ make me happier.

That would be for the one tech company I've been extremely loyal to, always enjoyed, but lately has declined in both quality and it's attitude about competing on the open market...

Yes I'm referring to Apple.

I would be absolutely thrilled for them to create the kind of world class smartphone I personally _KNOW_ they are capable of... IF, they put their best efforts into the project.

If I traded in my Apple stuff for something that I personally thought was far superior I certainly wouldnt be spending so much time on forums related to my 'old' inferior product. Maybe your life lacks substance.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I'm upgrading to the next one. I just got a 5. I can sell it, and pay about 50$ to get a brand new one. I have no reason not to really

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Samsung is all gimmicks not innovative. Adding bigger and bigger screens is not something I would call innovative.

I invite you to broaden your level of awareness beyond where it currently stands.

If you're going to make a false slanderous claim, at least have the guts to take responsibility. You've got no clue as to the current advancements, features & benefits of Android circa 2012. If you did, you'd have never made such a clueless claim.

Pick the search engine of your choice and get educated.

You can do it :)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I invite you to broaden your level of awareness beyond where it currently stands.

If you're going to make a false slanderous claim, at least have the guts to take responsibility. You've got no clue as to the current advancements, features & benefits of Android circa 2012. If you did, you'd have never made such a clueless claim.

I have had 3 android phones including the SIII if you get offended over someone's opinion then you might have some self esteem issues.

If you prefer android then enjoy. I don't care what you use.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I really don't get the ideal of constantly upgrading with every new release. I feel like the more use you get from something the more it pays for its self. I went from a 1st gen iphone to the 5... a huge jump and I do love my new phone but was perfectly happy with my dinosaur... However, it was becoming obsolete, with no OS updates since 3.01 or something, I could no longer use many apps, or download new ones.

I do feel like I got my money's worth from that phone and will always prefer to use stuff till it wears out. My truck is almost 10 years old, paid for and in great condition, I would love it to go another 10!

And I thought my 4 was slow. I feel bad for you! Glad you upgraded.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I've found that getting the first gen of any phone from Apple is a crap shoot (as can be expected with a complete new design), so upgrading once every two years on the 'S' model makes the most sense to me.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
well as im locked into a 2 year contract ... its not.

hence why i didnt get the 4s, works out better tho, guessing next time will be the ip6 or w/e its called ...

----------

I've found that getting the first gen of any phone from Apple is a crap shoot (as can be expected with a complete new design), so upgrading once every two years on the 'S' model makes the most sense to me.

i must have got lucky then, my 4 was fine and my ip5 is (so far) :rolleyes:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm one of those people who currently own an iPhone 4 with an expired contract that haven't upgraded yet. When I do upgrade, I'll want the 64GB version which is $399. Add Applecare and tax to that and I'm looking at around $530 even *with* a subsidy that comes with a new contract.

I fail to see how I'm "losing" money by not upgrading immediately.

You are not losing $, it is failed logic to think you are. By not upgrading you are saving the $530 you would have spent.

They only way you might be losing $ is if your plan was to take the upgrade and then sell the new phone pocket the cash and keep using your old phone. You could also take the new phone and then sell your old one, so the difference between paying your part for the new phone and what you sell your old one for is money gained.

Upgrading just because you can get it at a reduced price is not the same as making money.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have owned every iPhone since the original iPhone. After owning the i5 for the past month, I probably will not upgrade to the 5S since I won't absolutely NEED to. Each time I purchased a new iPhone, it was more out of want than a necessity. My i5 is not going to die once the 5S is released, and being that LTE is still being rolled out with AT&T, there isn't going to be a "5G" network anytime soon.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i never thought the need to buy five just didn't do it for me i have 4s at the moment i might up upgrade to 5s depending what involved if there isn't much of a change then i should of thought that i would keep my 4s for another couple of years i have never seen the point upgrading every year just don't feel the need to upgrade because apple don't put enough in there devices to say that thats worth buying this minute.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

LOL--FAR FAR from slanderous, you should pick a search engine (or a dictionary)--figure out what the definition of slander is

As well, he's right. At least according to a jury, judge, and a Billion Dollar (and some change) judgement. It took Apple years of R&D to build the iPhone. They ordered many of the electronics necessary from Samsung--in the process, I'm sure, sharing design and engineering characteristics---then BOOM! Three months later Samsung has a very VERY similar device far removed from anything they'd released before that point?? Doesn't take many brain cells to figure out who's the true 'innovator' eh?

Garbage, Rubbish---why have you not left YET???? I'll ask again, are you unable to find a site/forum that interests you? You've lost any ounce of credibility here...@ MR.

"You can do it!"---You did it!!! No name calling here, as I'm aware...but you, my friend...you need to find a website that interests YOU. Quit spitting drivel, find a 'Droid site (there are plenty--PM me if you're unable to use a search engine and I'll point you in the right direction---or just Google XDA).

i never thought the need to buy five just didn't do it for me i have 4s at the moment i might up upgrade to 5s depending what involved if there isn't much of a change then i should of thought that i would keep my 4s for another couple of years i have never seen the point upgrading every year just don't feel the need to upgrade because apple don't put enough in there devices to say that thats worth buying this minute.

The iPhone 4s is a monster!! Still an excellent phone and it's performance is on par or exceeding that of many top shelf Android phones. It's display and graphic horsepower is really only rivaled by the iPhone 5/iPad 4. You're fine as developers are aiming right at YOU and the common denominator of iPhone ownership...which I would bet right now to be over 50% 4/4s. The '5' is brand new...and other than the LTE and screen...and doubled 'power', it's hard to quantify the 'power' without games or software programmed specifically for the new iPhone

j

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You are not losing $, it is failed logic to think you are. By not upgrading you are saving the $530 you would have spent.

They only way you might be losing $ is if your plan was to take the upgrade and then sell the new phone pocket the cash and keep using your old phone. You could also take the new phone and then sell your old one, so the difference between paying your part for the new phone and what you sell your old one for is money gained.

Upgrading just because you can get it at a reduced price is not the same as making money.

I didn't clearly state my position--and I actually agree with you. I mean't to say that I felt that by upgrading, even with the subsidy, I was losing money not somehow "leaving money on the table".

I guess if one can sell their old iPhone for the price you'd pay for the new model then you'd be ok.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I didn't clearly state my position--and I actually agree with you. I mean't to say that I felt that by upgrading, even with the subsidy, I was losing money not somehow "leaving money on the table".

I guess if one can sell their old iPhone for the price you'd pay for the new model then you'd be ok.

Sounds like we both agree on that, all of that being said I have paid full price for a 5 (so I can keep my ULD with Verizon) and passing my 4 down to my daughter , acullay trading it for her iPod Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.