Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I lost my fusion cd but have my fusion serial and after entering it on the parallels site it qualifies me for the reduced price. Though it does say "Upgrade to Parallels 8". Would I still need to have Fusion actually installed on the machine in order to install this download ?

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Anyone, surely their have been plenty of people here who have used the upgrade from Fusion discount option ?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I guess I'm more confused as to why you're mentioning Fusion and Parallel's like they are the same product. VMWare Fusion is on 5.0 something right now and I only know that because it's what I use. I'm not sure what your talking about with Parallel 8 in regards to Fusion.

And to try and actually answer the question, if you're downloading an update only, then yes you would probably need the original program installed. If you're able to download the entire new program then you shouldn't need it installed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, perhaps you should have mentioned that parallels is offering a competitive upgrade. In any event you only need the serial number. People can buy VMware Fusion without a disk now, so there will not be any mechanism within parallels to valdate against a disk. It will look for vmware on your drive, if its install you're good to go

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
OP, perhaps you should have mentioned that parallels is offering a competitive upgrade. In any event you only need the serial number. People can buy VMware Fusion without a disk now, so there will not be any mechanism within parallels to valdate against a disk. It will look for vmware on your drive, if its install you're good to go

Ok, so it will check if vmware fusion is installed, even after parallels accepted the serial and let me download the upgrade. I wasn't asking if it would check against physical media but was inquiring if it would check if I have fusion installed in applications.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It will look for vmware on your drive, if its install you're good to go
Is this based on first hand experience? I'm just asking because I recently purchased the Fusion competitive upgrade. The Parallels serial was verified at purchase but the Fusion installer never checked for an existing Parallels install.

Anyone, surely their have been plenty of people here who have used the upgrade from Fusion discount option ?
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Is this based on first hand experience? I'm just asking because I recently purchased the Fusion competitive upgrade. The Parallels serial was verified at purchase but the Fusion installer never checked for an existing Parallels install.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Hmm, ok. So when using the Parallels to Fusion upgrade offer that vmware provides Fusion upgrade does not check if parallels is installed. I would think parallels would also not a give a stuff if Fusion was installed once the serial has been verified but someone with first hand experience would definitely put those doubts to rest.

As per the bump rules I didn't know. That being said I believe one bump should be allowed per post should the user feel the urgency to do so. For instance it's almost a certainty that this thread would have had no replies now if it were not bumped and made it to page 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.