Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 AM   #76
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by declandio View Post
Google maps uses vector based graphics....
Yep, but still its data usage is much higher, dunno why
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:10 AM   #77
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

Although I may eventually download Google maps, for now I'm sticking with Apple maps.

I base this on the fact that Apple maps lock onto my position, accurately, and much faster than the old Google maps used to.

Add to this that I have yet to find the Apple maps incorrect and you can see my reasons for staying with Apple.

Last edited by Tom G.; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Grammar correction.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:01 AM   #78
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
Apple Maps destroys Google Maps and any rational person can see this. Launch both and use both to navigate at the same time. Apple maps is by far the better app.
Any rational person can see that their personal experience may not reflect that of others
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 AM   #79
Anastasie1989
macrumors newbie

Apple Maps can show incorrect addresses of locations, mix up establishment labels and odd 3D-depictions of landmarks. The latest Google Map application offers new features and noteworthy re-designed interface. Here is a nice comparison of Apple and Google Maps slashgear.com/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-hands-on-to-the-airport-13260896/
Anastasie1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #80
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasie1989 View Post
Apple Maps can show incorrect addresses of locations, mix up establishment labels and odd 3D-depictions of landmarks. The latest Google Map application offers new features and noteworthy re-designed interface. Here is a nice comparison of Apple and Google Maps slashgear.com/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-hands-on-to-the-airport-13260896/
Well...it's a comparison...

I think the obvious comparison between the two has Google Maps coming out WAY ahead from a poi standpoint. I can even type my company's name in and it will show me all the locations in my state...and they're correct.

My issue with Google is the actual directions it uses. In most cases, if traveling on main roads where options are limited, Google does just fine and it always gets me to my final destination the fastest way available. But I have noticed that nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of the cases where I have used it since it was released, that it chooses odd turns (or flat out incorrect ones) or tends to take some roundabout ways to get to the final destination.

When turning on to a road it will sometimes ask me to go right and then either go around the block or make a u-turn instead of simply turning left onto the road to head directly to my destination...this has happened 3 times in just the past day. Completely legal turns (no medians or other reason...simple two lane roads)...can't figure out why it wants me to go in the opposite direction.

Apple Map's directions are never a surprise...always the best route for me so far if the correct info is either entered by me or Siri.
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6