Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibank/id402422773?mt=12

I am a long time Quicken user presently using version 2006. I tried Essentials once but it was a joke and so went back to 2006. I hear that 2006 or 2007 will not work in LION, so if I upgrade from SL I will need something. Is iBank any good? Will it sync all my Quicken accounts, and allow me to DIRECT CONNECT with banks? Some Credit Cards I download via Direct Connect, and others I download via a web connect file. Tell me your views on iBank. Thank you.

John

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been using iBank since January this year and have been very pleased with it. I imported Quicken QIF files from four accounts without any issues. I also use iBank to direct connect to two banks with no problems. iBank will do both direct connect and web connect import.

The one complaint I have seen from Quicken users coming over to iBank it that the investment features in iBank are not as complete as those in Quicken. I don't really use the investment features, so can't comment on that part myself.

What I would suggest is you use the 30 day trial from their site here to see if you like it before you purchase from the App Store.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Take a look at this:

Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible

it's the same as Quicken 2007 (which is pretty similar to Quicken 2006) that has been updated to make it compatible with OS X 10.7 Lion and according to the folks over at MacInTouch.com with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. It's only $14.99 and in the interim it also works with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibank/id402422773?mt=12

I am a long time Quicken user presently using version 2006. I tried Essentials once but it was a joke and so went back to 2006. I hear that 2006 or 2007 will not work in LION, so if I upgrade from SL I will need something. Is iBank any good? Will it sync all my Quicken accounts, and allow me to DIRECT CONNECT with banks? Some Credit Cards I download via Direct Connect, and others I download via a web connect file. Tell me your views on iBank. Thank you.

John

I tried iBank a few years ago when I switched to OS X. I had horrible problems importing my Quicken data, and the time it would have taken to correct it just wasn't worth it. I use Moneydance now, and while it's UI is not as polished as iBank, it can do everything I need it to. Importing into Moneydance wasn't without problems either, but they were manageable.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
iBank

I have only download the 30-day trial for iBank...and haven't started using it yet...but...

In just a few minutes I setup an account in iBank and imported my account statements for five months from BofA...no problem at all. Pretty easy!

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I've been using iBank for years, and love many things about it. But the best thing for ME is being able to sync with my iPhone on the fly while out and about. It works very well. I've got it set up to sync via webdav to my synology ds212j. Before that, I was using mobileme to sync.

daniruth

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Ireland
SEE Finance

Hi,

I've been using SEE Finance since i moved to macs. It worked great importing my accounts. Minor problems with the process. I really like it. It is very good with reports, online transactions and I find it quite easy to use. I've tried iBank a couple of times, but I ended up deleting it after the trial period. Also, SEE finance is free to use for as long as you want, though I bought my copy when I was sure that was the program for me and my accounts :)

I hope this comment is useful for you

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have been using iBank since January this year and have been very pleased with it. I imported Quicken QIF files from four accounts without any issues. I also use iBank to direct connect to two banks with no problems. iBank will do both direct connect and web connect import.

The one complaint I have seen from Quicken users coming over to iBank it that the investment features in iBank are not as complete as those in Quicken. I don't really use the investment features, so can't comment on that part myself.

What I would suggest is you use the 30 day trial from their site here to see if you like it before you purchase from the App Store.

Good. I do not use Investments so it should not be a problem. I should buy the new program soon. I hear it can also sync with my iPhone which would be a nice feature. I used to be able to do this back in the Palm OS days.

----------

Take a look at this:

Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible

it's the same as Quicken 2007 (which is pretty similar to Quicken 2006) that has been updated to make it compatible with OS X 10.7 Lion and according to the folks over at MacInTouch.com with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. It's only $14.99 and in the interim it also works with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I saw that. However I wonder if I should go cheap or just go to iBank and get the added features and the ability to sync to my iPhone. Its a good question...

----------

I have only download the 30-day trial for iBank...and haven't started using it yet...but...

In just a few minutes I setup an account in iBank and imported my account statements for five months from BofA...no problem at all. Pretty easy!

I have been using Quicken for Mac & PC since January of 1998. It needs to be able to import all accounts I have created since January of 1998 which would be allot. I like to be able to look at past history sometimes. I wonder if iBank will do it all, since the Quicken format has changed over the years. There is most likely older data in my Quicken file from the Mac OS 7.x days that may have an issue with iBank.

----------

I've been using iBank for years, and love many things about it. But the best thing for ME is being able to sync with my iPhone on the fly while out and about. It works very well. I've got it set up to sync via webdav to my synology ds212j. Before that, I was using mobileme to sync.

I would get this feature back as I could do the same back in the Palm OS days.

----------

Hi,

I've been using SEE Finance since i moved to macs. It worked great importing my accounts. Minor problems with the process. I really like it. It is very good with reports, online transactions and I find it quite easy to use. I've tried iBank a couple of times, but I ended up deleting it after the trial period. Also, SEE finance is free to use for as long as you want, though I bought my copy when I was sure that was the program for me and my accounts :)

I hope this comment is useful for you

Is that some online option? I am not interested in online options as my records need to be on my Macs hard drive. I also have allot of data since 1998 and need to be able to import all of it to iBank. The quicken format has changed a bit since 1998, so no question there will be some Mac OS 7.x Quicken data in my Quicken file. I hope iBank can import that.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Good. I do not use Investments so it should not be a problem. I should buy the new program soon. I hear it can also sync with my iPhone which would be a nice feature. I used to be able to do this back in the Palm OS days.

----------

I saw that. However I wonder if I should go cheap or just go to iBank and get the added features and the ability to sync to my iPhone. Its a good question...

----------

I have been using Quicken for Mac & PC since January of 1998. It needs to be able to import all accounts I have created since January of 1998 which would be allot. I like to be able to look at past history sometimes. I wonder if iBank will do it all, since the Quicken format has changed over the years. There is most likely older data in my Quicken file from the Mac OS 7.x days that may have an issue with iBank.

----------

I would get this feature back as I could do the same back in the Palm OS days.

----------

Is that some online option? I am not interested in online options as my records need to be on my Macs hard drive. I also have allot of data since 1998 and need to be able to import all of it to iBank. The quicken format has changed a bit since 1998, so no question there will be some Mac OS 7.x Quicken data in my Quicken file. I hope iBank can import that.

There's been a lot of discussion over the last few years over on MacInTouch concerning alternatives to Quicken and you might want to give it a read through:

MacInTouch.com: Applications: Quicken and Alternatives

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Quicken gor Mac

I just downloaded Quicken for Mac and tried to import my old Windows Quicken files to NO success:mad:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
What I have read on the web you need to install, Quicken 2007 for Lion, so that's another 15 dollars..:mad:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Up Date

I did get to import my Quicken files with Quicken 2007. I used the export to QIF, (thanks for all the help here) but I like Ibank better, and it lets me import my accounts from my credit union..so I am happy:)

so at tax time I will just hit the big print icon..

MonkeyCookie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I've been using iBank 3 for several years, and I like it very much. I've never used Quicken, so I don't know how it compares. I've been meaning to upgrade to iBank 4, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.