Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Actually there is a difference. I can buy PS3 games at amazon or any other retailer. No one is forcing devs to sell games on PSN, that is their choice.

Seriously? People can't read? I said ARCADE GAMES!!! Please tell me where else I can buy Arcade games!?? Unless I am mistaken (possible and if so I will take back what I say) you can only buy arcade games from the console manufacturers store. From what I can tell I made it pretty obvious what I was talking about. Though it seems people don't want to read.

I just searched Amazon for some Play Station Network Arcade Games. Haven't found any listed to buy somehow via Amazon yet.

Just did the same for the 360 Arcade Games. Nothing. Oh just did the same for 360 Indie Store. Nothing. I can only buy those games from the store Microsoft Controls.

Again...please try to read the post.

Some developers do not get the licenses to develop an official disk game for those systems. Some developers can only develop Arcade Titles. From what I can tell from doing a lot of Googling I can't buy these anywhere else unless I get it from the Console Manufactures Store.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I hardly think controlling all of the oil, which is a natural substance that the world depends on to function, is the same as controlling the app distribution that apple created from nothing, on a device that apple also created from nothing. Not to mention that currently, everything depends on oil... No one NEEDS an app store..

i'm pretty sure when rockefeller1 was in action, oil wasn't viewed as a limited resource.. (not meant as a counter argument.. just sayin)

no one needed oil back then either.. the need for oil was created by corporations selling products which required oil to run.. (well, that combined with a shortage of whales ;) )

Just because what they created is popular and made them a ton of money, doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal by not allowing other companies to potentially screw up the experience they are striving for with their product.
i really wish that last bit were true.. the iphone and all the apps are money making machines first and foremost.. user experience probably ranks around 3rd or 4th in the board office..

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Sure it does, as long as there is somewhere else to go. The question of whether there is somewhere else to leave to, is the very question that determines whether something is or isn't a monopoly.

i'm not quite convinced that's the determining question..

i am fairly convinced no one in the thread is an expert in these laws (i'm definitely not either ;) )

it's worth going through the wiki because i think you'll find this lawsuit might be more justified than many here are claiming..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

up top, in regards to your determining question, you'll see..

Holding a dominant position or a monopoly of a market is not illegal in itself, however certain categories of behavior can, when a business is dominant, be considered abusive and therefore incur legal sanctions.

which is then (to me) very well elaborated upon in the rest of the entry..

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
your right it has "always" been that way, that way is still by definition a "monopoly" which is the topic at hand

Most times when people talk about a monopoly it's that someone has a large hold on the marketplace and it's impacting the world. Like when windows had 75%(?) of the business marketplace of computers and they were the standard.

If you look up the definition, it actually specifically talks of control of commodities or services (think electricity or cable which used to be geographically link) and control prices. The only thing Apple has is control of the device they manufacture and the process to get apps on their device. They don't control app prices, you can even give an app away and Apple doesn't make anything on the app.

Apple iPhone is not a standard. They don't have that huge of a marketplace. They are one of many phones out there that do many things similar. The iDevices could go away and the world would end in the same way if every windows computer stopped functioning.

One the the things (and this is my point) that they do is offer a very secure central marketplace for apps. Secure for users and more secure for developers. This is a huge feature they are offering and to open it up differently takes that away and dilutes their name and security.

Yes, insecure things happen and yes people are pirating apps. But I still feel it's more secure than other systems out there. And if that's what they're selling, I'm buying.

I can do more geeky stuff with an Android phone, but I'll stick with my consistent and reliable iPhone.

Gary

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Seriously? People can't read? I said ARCADE GAMES!!! Please tell me where else I can buy Arcade games!?? Unless I am mistaken (possible and if so I will take back what I say) you can only buy arcade games from the console manufacturers store. From what I can tell I made it pretty obvious what I was talking about. Though it seems people don't want to read.

So here is the deal. People are sitting here coming up with all kinds of scenarios where this sort of thing also happens (that is most of what this thread is about, not picking on you, you were just the latest example). That's great. Lawsuits generally happen where there is money to be gained and laws to be changed. I don't know much about arcade games, but if you are right, someone could rightfully make this case against them too. If Apple loses this case, there would then be legal precedent to go after all of these lesser (I say lesser because they are all under Apple in terms of revenue I would think) companies and seek justice under the law.

In short, the fact that other companies do it, it doesn't make it legal. As a crazy example, there is organized crime all over the US. When one group on the East Coast gets busted, it's not a valid defense for them to say "But those West Coasters are doing it too!" The obvious difference between them, and the case we are talking about, is that the former is cut and dry, while this one, not so much. As far as I know, it has never been tested. And, as an interesting fact, organized crime was basically legal less than a century ago. Of course it wasn't called organized crime and it involved state border hopping.

And there is a heavily truncated history lesson on how laws are made. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.