ZuneMan?
Banned

Very bad, you will go blind
ZuneMan? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:37 AM   #52
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
I think I may have posted earlier on this thread, but that being said, the iPad Mini has a great display - all those who say otherwise simply say it for the hell of it. No, it's not retina, but it's not horribly jagged either. Turn it landscape and you will see the text looks fine. Half the reason it looks so pixelated when in portrait mode is because it is squeezing the text together too much.

I will buy a retina version when it comes along, but for now, it's the best iPad Apple have ever made, regardless of a lower PPi screen. My 3rd gen feels like a briefcase by comparison.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:01 AM   #53
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
I think I may have posted earlier on this thread, but that being said, the iPad Mini has a great display - all those who say otherwise simply say it for the hell of it. No, it's not retina, but it's not horribly jagged either. Turn it landscape and you will see the text looks fine. Half the reason it looks so pixelated when in portrait mode is because it is squeezing the text together too much.

I will buy a retina version when it comes along, but for now, it's the best iPad Apple have ever made, regardless of a lower PPi screen. My 3rd gen feels like a briefcase by comparison.
Right! I really think Apple finally got it and this is the perfect iPad IMHO

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmu View Post
I agree the mini is a very good product. If it was the only 7" tablet available I'd have certainly kept the one I tried. I've still got the case I bought for it!

However, there are now lots of alternatives at a much lower price. I use my iPad 2 quite a lot every day whereas the Kindle gets used much less often. It does the job for a lot less than the price of the mini.

If or when the mini gets a retina display then the Kindle will be on eBay in a flash. Hopefully the size will stay the same and I get to use the case.
How's the kindle working for you? I heard it runs Android OS right?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
Love mine to bits, and I own a rMBP.

It's absolutely fine, no it's not retina and I wish it was, but it's certainly not a deal breaker or awful in any way.
I have a rMBP also and thought the iPad screen was going to be awful. Turns out, it's not for me. I like it! Wish it was retina

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
It's fine, but not amazing. I find m iPad 2s screen to be a little higher quality than my mini.
Higher? But the mini has the same resolution and a bit higher ppi. But anyways good for you though!
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:15 AM   #54
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiction2040 View Post
This is the worst place to ask that question. I'm sure the apple retina snobs will be here shortly to complain about how the lack of a retina display has deeply impacted their lives in a negative way.

[/COLOR]Wait for the new Mini. I for one am too spoiled by the Retina display to ever want to take a step back.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:26 AM   #55
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

I really want an ipad mini, but I think I will wait and see what is coming. I could always still a discounted current mini.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:09 PM   #56
richardmu
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=WhiteIphone5;17199771]Right! I really think Apple finally got it and this is the perfect iPad IMHO

----------

How's the kindle working for you? I heard it runs Android OS right?[COLOR="#808080"]

The Kindle is very good for the price. Bright, clear screen and pretty good sound. It runs an earlier ICS version of Android I believe but with an Amazon overlay. It all works extremely well except it's not as smooth, fluid or powerful as the mini. Substantially cheaper than the mini so as I don't use it that much I can easily live with the slightly clunky operation./COLOR]
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:36 PM   #57
WhiteIphone5
Banned

[QUOTE=richardmu;17200140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
Right! I really think Apple finally got it and this is the perfect iPad IMHO

----------

How's the kindle working for you? I heard it runs Android OS right?[COLOR="#808080"]

The Kindle is very good for the price. Bright, clear screen and pretty good sound. It runs an earlier ICS version of Android I believe but with an Amazon overlay. It all works extremely well except it's not as smooth, fluid or powerful as the mini. Substantially cheaper than the mini so as I don't use it that much I can easily live with the slightly clunky operation./COLOR]
Is it the 8.9 HD version? I saw a commercial where amazon was comparing the screen to the iPad 3/4 lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltepeceno View Post
I really want an ipad mini, but I think I will wait and see what is coming. I could always still a discounted current mini.
Looks like you're gonna have to wait until October. If you can. Awesome
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:51 PM   #58
richardmu
macrumors 6502

No it's the 7 " Kindle Fire HD.

I was even tempted to get the larger version when it became available on the UK Amazon website recently. Always a sucker for a new toy and I was interested in
what they have done with the larger tablet. I really like the 7" version even though it's a bit clunky.
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:24 AM   #59
twintin
macrumors 6502

Just bought a mini to complement my IPad 2 and I just love it. No issues with the screen what so ever (looks even a bit nicer than the IPad 2's screen).
twintin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:43 PM   #60
itjw
macrumors 6502a

There are NO alternatives that integrate into the Apple ecosystem the way the mini does though.

Sad to admit it, but that is worth at LEAST $100 to me (to be able to use existing lightning cables, download thousands of dollars of software from the last 7 years at absolutely no additional cost (because I already own it), be able to use it with my AppleTV, car, media... etc.)).

I agree though, if it was a completely clean slate, there would be attractive alternatives. The reality is, for most people, you are committed to one format or another (iOS or Android). I chose iOS.

That renders all of the other choices moot unless I decide to have a black sheep in the herd (and I tried it once, with a free BB Playbook, and within a week was done with that experiment). Just creating a new account and downloading a few .99 apps made me realize how much of an undertaking it would be to "integrate" a new OS.

Apple knows they "have" certain people. Doesn't make me love the mini any less, but they could have put LESS into it and I still would have bought one based solely on form factor and ecosystem.

And the screen is still pretty fabulous
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #61
fiction2040
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=WhiteIphone5;17200682]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmu View Post
Is it the 8.9 HD version? I saw a commercial where amazon was comparing the screen to the iPad 3/4 lol

----------

Looks like you're gonna have to wait until October. If you can. Awesome
Some sites are reporting that the next mini wont even be released until next spring.
fiction2040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:09 AM   #62
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post

That renders all of the other choices moot unless I decide to have a black sheep in the herd (and I tried it once, with a free BB Playbook, and within a week was done with that experiment).

And the screen is still pretty fabulous
i did the same thing and bought a Nexus 7. had it for a week and decided to sell it. bought myself a samsung galaxy tab 2 7 and played with it for a week also and decided to sell it. then got an ipad mini.
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:13 AM   #63
Arcsylver
macrumors member

I own the 15 " rMBP, iPhone 5 and iPad mini and my partner has the iPad 2.

I used the iPad 2 for 6 months as my only computing device before I got my first MBP.

I use the iPad mini 5 nights a week for 4 to 6 hours a night surfing forums, checking email, viewing video, examining pictures, and playing games like tapped out, infinity blade and baldur's gate.

I personally think the mini is fine.

Is it as good as my phone or notebook? No

Is it more than capable of doing all of the above things without giving me eye strain or migraines? Yes

Is it better than the iPad 2? Both are about equal in usability. It all depends on if you want the smaller form factor of the mini.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:52 AM   #64
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
Higher? But the mini has the same resolution and a bit higher ppi. But anyways good for you though!
There is more to a high quality screen than those two things. Things like brightness, blacks, color reproduction, etc. are also the things that determine how high quality a screen is.

For example, the N7 has a higher ppi screen, but overall it is a lower quality screen.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad