Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 16, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

Worth buying an external Blu-ray?

Hi all,

Do you think it is worth buying an external blu-ray and using handbrake to move my library into iTunes? I know it's rather subjective, but I just wanted some opinions. Will even blu-ray become outdated (silly question, I know)?

If yes, do you have any suggestions on the best piece of hardware at a "decent" price?

My brother has a ton of blu-ray discs he was going to sell, but he said he would give them to me if I wanted them, but I don't have a blu-ray player. All of the HD video I have has been purchased directly from the iTunes store, and I currently use handbrake to rip my own DVD's, but, of course, there is a noticeable difference in quality.

Thank you,
ZLM
zachlegomaniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlegomaniac View Post
Hi all,

Do you think it is worth buying an external blu-ray and using handbrake to move my library into iTunes?
Versus doing what with it?
Old May 16, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
linds15
macrumors 6502a

if you're doing it for the sake of not having them given to someone else no, if there are a bunch of movies in the pile that you want, then the cost of the drive will be more than made up by not having to purchase them with itunes
Old May 16, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Bozley0621
macrumors 6502

I vote yes. I received this one for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506...y+burner+drive
Bozley0621 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a

I bought an external Blu-Ray drive this spring in part to get my growing Blu-Ray collection into iTunes.

The external drives are relatively inexpensive (I bought an LG model for about $100).

As a bonus, writing to BD discs is easier when doing backups that using DVDs. I back up all the photos the family takes and it can easily add up to 50 gb a month worth of RAW files. Using 2 BD discs is faster (and cheeper) than using 10+ DVDs (or 5+ DVD-DL discs).
Old May 16, 2013, 11:42 PM   #6
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbrossard View Post
I bought an external Blu-Ray drive this spring in part to get my growing Blu-Ray collection into iTunes.

The external drives are relatively inexpensive (I bought an LG model for about $100).

As a bonus, writing to BD discs is easier when doing backups that using DVDs. I back up all the photos the family takes and it can easily add up to 50 gb a month worth of RAW files. Using 2 BD discs is faster (and cheeper) than using 10+ DVDs (or 5+ DVD-DL discs).
+1 for backup, also less physical discs laying around, which also makes it easier when doomsday come and you need to recover from it
Old May 17, 2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

A BR-ROM is cheap isn't it, and slightly more if u want burner capability. But we are talking under usd$100.

Ah, YES, specially if you wish to watch those big-budget, special effects, majesty scenes movies, that anything less than FULL HD (not compressed) will do. U can rip them, without compression, to your HD, but I don't know whether you are able to retain all extra features etc.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:58 AM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

I went with the Asus. The Samsung is okay, but look carefully at specs. There are currently only two drives that will do full Dolby, and proper 7.1 surround sound...The Asus and the Liteon.

The Asus has a lower desktop footprint which is why I went for it, but it's fast, quiet and reliable.

My Buddy got the Liteon, but says that the Dolby is flaky...can't vouch for that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Asus BRD.png
Views:	27
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	412659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liteon BRD.png
Views:	12
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	412660  
Old May 17, 2013, 03:02 AM   #9
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

It really doesn't matter if blu ray disc play becomes obsolete in the future as you can always (later) transfer what is on the discs.

There are a couple of things you might consider -

1) have you compared a blu ray type of movie converted for iTunes against a regular purchased blu ray disc movie?

2) converting a blu ray level movie for itunes provides an inferior image and the reality is you are converting to an inferior product.

3) While they may not play DMR iTunes movies, there are multiple streamers out there that can play blu ray level movies with full HD audio goodness and that includes several Blu Ray players or items such as Dune Media players, Med8tor and others.

4) Maybe start with a Blu Ray player to play your soon to be blu ray disc collection and later opt for a burner/reader to convert some to iTunes ready.

5) a nice alternative might be a Mac Mini with Plex or XBMC hooked to your TV to handle BOTH iTunes and also full Blu Ray level files with DTS and Dolby ability (sorry not HD version of the latter unless running Windows or Linux).

In short you should compare both iTunes playable file of a movie with the blu ray disc version. If you have a decent TV or plan to get one, you will definitely see a difference and possibly audible difference if you have a receiver. As you said it is subjective.

I use a Blu Ray player to stream files and also play my purchased movie discs. My streaming is from my purchased so I can quickly re-watch movies without all the menus/features etc. I also use XBMC off my Mini Mac and all my DVDs converted to file are played beautifully. (Yes I do have a blu-ray burner/reader.)

Hopefully, my comments are food for thought and do/get what you feel is best for your needs.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

Thank you all. I think I'll go for it. If I can get a drive for the cost of even 5 Blu-ray Discs that I would like a copy of it seems like a no brainer. It's one of those things where I was hesitant because I wonder if ill get caught up in trying to now rebuild my entire library in HD once I get used to it. A very non-urgent "problem".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Versus doing what with it?
Not buying one at all and continuing with DVDs until everything goes all digital to save money.
zachlegomaniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I went with the Asus. The Samsung is okay, but look carefully at specs. There are currently only two drives that will do full Dolby, and proper 7.1 surround sound...The Asus and the Liteon.

The Asus has a lower desktop footprint which is why I went for it, but it's fast, quiet and reliable.

My Buddy got the Liteon, but says that the Dolby is flaky...can't vouch for that one.
I just got some no-name brand BD-ROM from Amazon for $40. It shows up in profiler at Mat****a. Is this possibly the reason why on my first rip attempt the Dolby Digital 5.1 didn't work but the stereo channel worked? If so, DAMMIT. Not the biggest deal in the world since most the time I watch these on my bedroom TV that outputs to just two speakers. But DAMMIT.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I just got some no-name brand BD-ROM from Amazon for $40. It shows up in profiler at Mat****a. Is this possibly the reason why on my first rip attempt the Dolby Digital 5.1 didn't work but the stereo channel worked? If so, DAMMIT. Not the biggest deal in the world since most the time I watch these on my bedroom TV that outputs to just two speakers. But DAMMIT.
Was it this one? Because I was considering buying this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OP6IQW?qid=1366579622&sr=1-14
Old May 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Bozley0621
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Did you get instructions on how to set the bluray settings once it's ripped but before its converted? That's what through me for a loop the first time I tried.
Bozley0621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TVAU0E/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

This is what I bought. White one posted looks almost exactly the same. As I saw on a comment somewhere, the eject button doesn't work. But a paperclip will do fine.

I have done a couple other discs now. I got an IMAX flick to work on surround, and it's awesome. It has shuttle launches and birds, and the sound was split well. I may have messed up something using Subler. I also ripped Tropic Thunder but haven't tried surround sound yet.

FYI I'm using Handbrake's Apple TV 3 settings. Tropic Thunder ended up being 8.5 GB. I wonder if forced subtitles did that. Thanks for the info on checking settings.
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Che Castro
macrumors 601

I vote no 4K blurays are coming out soon , they will replace 1080p
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 11:45 PM   #16
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
I vote no 4K blurays are coming out soon , they will replace 1080p
This is basically why I have decided to go the iTunes route now. Theoretically Apple could at some point offer an upgrade pricing from SD to HD with shows and movies you bought in the past. If you are offered this with DVD to BD, it's rare to get some sort of rebate.

But when 4K movies become a thing, I can't imagine Apple NOT working out a deal for people who bought HD movies to upgrade to Ultra HD for $5 or $10. 4K BDs are probably going to run you $30 or $35. So that's a huge savings.

I doubt this is going to happen soon en masse because I still know people JUST getting BD players and HDTVs. So it's going to take a long time to convince people to upgrade that extra step, especially at the price the 4K TVs are.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:57 PM   #17
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Yep. That's why I did a lot of research before i bought one...I guess it's not a big deal if you don't need that level of support, and you do pay a premium price, but the Asus does what it says...Both DPL and 7.1 are covered...The Liteon claims this too, but as I said, can't vouch for that one.

They have come down in price though....I paid 139.00 or $211.00 for the Asus back in December last year just before I got my new iMac....Now they can be had for around the $180.00 mark...I wondered why the big difference and that's it...The full range of support. If you just want to rip your BRD's then the little Samsung is fine...If you want the pro stuff, you pay the premium for it...I think as 3D and BRD become more popular, the prices will drop....other makers are bound to come to the party too.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater