Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Sad, but understandable.

It was my browser of choice when I first got a Mac in 2006, until Firefox was native Cocoa, but now a Chrome user.
Crazy, I went through the exact same path and I also got my first Mac in 2006. I switched to Firefox because Camino had already started to lag behind and Firefox was getting there on the Mac.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
RIP Camino...

It was a solid web browser for it's time, but not surprised by this news due to the lack of consistent & timely updates in the past several years. Personally, I haven't used it much (if at all) since about 2007.

N

nostromo77

Never celebrate an option, a choice or an alternative taken away from you. It doesn't matter if you didn't use it, others did and some used to. The fact is that not only did a dream die here, but people loosing their job over something they once believed in.

Now maybe you should pay more respect towards a situation like this than making fun of it just because you never used it or didn't like it.

Imagine the day when people will make fun of you for having used an iPhone when the iPhone won't be around anymore. Yeah, like some of you say... nothing lasts forever.

So pay some respect to yet another fallen "Alternative Application"

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
No Way to Migrate

I still use Camino as well as Firefox and Safari. It was obvious that Camino was not being maintained. I still have it because of the very many book marks which Mozilla provides no way to migrate to Firefox.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I still use Camino as well as Firefox and Safari. It was obvious that Camino was not being maintained. I still have it because of the very many book marks which Mozilla provides no way to migrate to Firefox.

I, too, still use Camino. And it is my preferred browser, because Cookie handling and plugin behaviour are outstanding. Camino has a nice option to import/export Bookmarks to both Firefox (html) and Safari (plist). You can easily convert between both browsers.

It's really sad to see practically the last browser with a native GUI to Mac OS X to bite the dust. Not to forget that it runs on Power PC.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
It's the best thing if you have an old Mac with a slow Safari (since Safari gets messed up on some computers somehow). It's like FireFox but a lot faster, and it comes with built-in ad blocking and Flash blocking :D

HMF

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Lisbon
Camino best Mac browser

Sad, I still use it at home

great simplicity and a great and fast engine back in the days.

Using Camino since 2006

Now will be using the older brother Firefox

Hope that some day can come back :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Used Chimera too before it was Camino.
I used it as my main browser before Safari became mainstream.

Sad to see it go, but I assume all developers are well looked after now!

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Chimera (later Camino) on 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 was all I ever used. I thought when Firefox started it was no match for that cocoa gecko that made my PPC fly. Then it turned into a 1 man show and then that man started to work at Google. Check in's floundered. Mozilla stopped active support. :mad::confused::(

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I guess it succeeded in its own way. It brought a more pleasant Mac-like UI to the gecko engine than was available otherwise. But I never used it for anything other than testing. Now there's a wealth of attractive and powerful browsers...or Firefox if you must (glares at Mrs Truffy).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Just export them and import them in Firefox.

Nightly builds will be turned off soon.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
I forgot this existed. I mean, even among the niche browsers almost nobody used, Camino was tiny. I'm surprised it hung on as long as it did.

Competition is nice, even if nobody notices you. I don't think we've seen the end of the browser wars, though. We've seen so many iterations, little browsers coming out of nowhere, big companies suddenly making their own, browsers living and dying. I think the mobile browser space is going to introduce some new players, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there's a whole new set of names in the browser space. There's always open-source offshoots and who knows what the Linux people are up to there's a whole slew of different ones in that world.

Agreed.

To anyone on a PPC try Roccat (http://runecats.com/roccat.html) its actively maintained (mine got autoupdated only last night to v3.3) and runs perfectly on my G5.

Thank you for the link.

----

Anyway, what are people using these days besides Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.