Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:01 PM   #26
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

But I don't understand why Apple does not use gorilla glass on their phones..?
It's probably more expensive and that would mean Apple would have to raise the price of iPhones or eat the cost and hurt their plans to have a trillion dollars in reserve
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:01 PM   #27
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass..
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:47 PM   #28
Cozmo85
macrumors regular

Gorilla glass is just a brand name for chemically strengthened glass. Apple doesn't have to have gorilla glass to have the same product
Cozmo85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:45 AM   #29
Judas1
macrumors 6502a

Either you use gorilla glass from Corning or you don't. Nobody else makes gorilla glass. While other companies can make their own chemically strengthened glass, it'll use a different process, and is most likely inferior to Corning's gorilla glass.

Last edited by Judas1; Feb 1, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Judas1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:41 AM   #30
nmg196
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

But I don't understand why Apple does not use gorilla glass on their phones..?
What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.
nmg196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:12 AM   #31
gpsouza
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmg196 View Post
What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.
So please tell me which screen protector you are using, because over the year I had some and they all ended with scratch and with a yellow dirty color (Back Zagg InvisibleShield).
The plastic screen will not do ANYTHING if damaged, it is simple not thick or bouncy enough to absorve damage. The point of screen protectors is to prevent scratches, not damage, and since glass is much more scratch resistant than any plastic screen protector, it would be nice to put some over our iPhone glass.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:27 PM   #32
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
Citation please. I know a lot of people look at Corning's customers page, and assume, because they don't see Apple listed, that Apple isn't a customer, but many companies don't list customers on those sorts of pages because their contracts with those customers say *not* to.

The known properties of iPhone glass match well with the known properties of Corning's Gorilla Glass. Apple doesn't put Intel Core i7 stickers on their MacBook Pros, but they still use them. Just because they don't advertise the use of Gorilla Glass doesn't mean they aren't using it

The lack of lawsuits relating to the Gorilla Glass story in the Jobs biography, I think we can safely assume that the story told there is true. Based on that, what makes you think they've *stopped* using it?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM   #33
vincent.m
macrumors member

I have never though any kind of a screen protector was a good idea. As the guy at the Apple Store told me, the iPhone has the highest quality display out of any mobile device in the world. No matter how clear the protector is, it will always distort that at least a little bit, ruining the point of the retina display. As far as the tiny scratches people are getting on their phone, the front screen rarely scratches and when it does, its so small you can hardly tell when the phone is off and you can't tell at all when it is turned on. For the scratches on the back, you can pop a case on, or if your like me and have no case, if it somehow gets scratched you can get the back replaced by Apple for about the same cost as this screen protector.

The real problem with iOS screens is getting them smashed, and no screen protector would ever stop that (especially a glass one).
vincent.m is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:11 PM   #34
CTYankee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
For what its worth I know a guy who casually mentioned his son works for Corning making glass for iPhones.

Another anecdote to toss into this incredibly important topic.
CTYankee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:03 AM   #35
nuratrim review
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCachetes View Post
Kinda my theory. The kind of knocks or falls that will ruin your day, this won't help you with - but I have yet to see any kinds of scratches on the surface of my glass, with daily use.

Still, it's a neat product IMHO.
I refuse to pay the money for these new smart phones. I work with aroud 300 people and there is someone every day that has had their phone broken or damaged buy a little knock.
nuratrim review is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:17 AM   #36
bosco2012
Banned

I just note the Glass screen protector, it's so strong, and i am out!
I found it $21 on Caseswill, has anyone ever used it? Thanks.

check here:http://www.caseswill.com/0-4mm-tempe...-4s_p3488.html
bosco2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM   #37
miss.manson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to miss.manson
Does anyone know if this works with the Speck Candyshell for the iPhone 4/4s?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:44 PM   #38
rdokoye
macrumors newbie

I guess its okay; I think the protection that it offers is fairly limited, scratch resistance being the most pivotal. Id like something that offers some kind of shock resistance.

Last edited by rdokoye; Jun 25, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
rdokoye is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion