Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Read this Anandtech article on the subject.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u
I would go with the i7. Negligible effect on battery life but significantly faster and more future proof with better resale value.
People don't realize how much different the bigger cache in the i7 makes. It's not just higher clock speed. Combined its up to a 30% increase.
Personally I think 8 GB is a must have especially since the gpu eats up 1 GB all by itself.
To me the sweet spot is 8 GB ram, 1.7 ghz proc, 256 GB SSD unless you just have to have 512GB ssd.
Also the 256GB ssd is faster than the 128GB sad but you probably won't really notice it.

----------

No difference except paying tax in some states.

----------

Yeah that's wrong and bad advice to boot.

No, it's not. For uses requiring little Turboboosting such as typical student uses (word, browsing, email) and more intense stuff like streaming Flash video, the i7 will draw more power than the i5 due to the 1.7 vs. 1.3 GHz. And as a result it generates more heat. The Anandtech link confirms that in the medium usage section. Care to explain why it's bad advice?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.