Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:58 PM   #26
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #27
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Explain further. How is a child with ADHD "cumbersome" for the parents without medication?
I think he means non-drug treatments like therapy are time consuming and expensive compared to just "popping a pill".
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #28
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
What's your problem?
My problem is that you're talking out your ass about something you appear to have no firsthand knowledge of.

My son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with ADHD. He's in a gifted program at his school, he tested with a genius-level IQ, and he's more than intelligent enough to do the work. The problem is that his impulsiveness makes it difficult for him to focus on what he needs to be doing, and he acts without thinking. Silly things, things he knows on an intellectual level he's not supposed to do, but he does them before he can get his brain to think of what the "right" thing to do is. Things like dropping a book on the floor to see what kind of noise it can make, or trying to hide his pencil in his hair.

According to you, counseling is too "cumbersome" for us as parents. That's probably why we only took him to counseling for two years with three different counselors and watched his self-esteem plummet in the process before we pulled him out. The kid started feeling like he couldn't do anything right, when in fact he's more intelligent that most of us in many respects.

His primary care doctor and his most recent therapist (a licensed clinical psychologist) suggested that we try him on medication. Within a week his grades were all back up to A's and he hasn't had any more outbursts at school. His depression is completely gone and his self-esteem is better than I remember ever seeing it. He's fully aware of how the medicine helps him and he actually asks for it before he goes to school.

But the part where you're most wrong, and the part that pisses me off the most? I haven't done any of this for my benefit - he doesn't take the medicine on weekends, and he hasn't had any all summer while he's out of school. He doesn't use it whenever he's with us. So when you start rattling off about how "cumbersome" it is to the parents to have a child with ADHD and that that's why we get medication for them, it shows us that YOU'RE the one with the problem, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I think he means non-drug treatments like therapy are time consuming and expensive compared to just "popping a pill".
Do you have children yourself? "Time consuming" and "expensive" don't really register here. I'm talking about my child, the single most important part of my life. I'd go through a dozen brick walls for him. My time and my money are not an issue, his well-being is.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:16 PM   #29
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
But on the other side of that ledger, popping a pill not only doesn't address the symptoms, but covers them up, and does nothing to resolve the problem.

All in all, if this is your child, in all honesty, nothing should be time consuming, expensive, and cumbersome. Would I have my child pop pills to take care of a serious problem? Outside of common cold, more than likely not. Some chemical or neurological imbalance of some sort? I'd read up more on it before going to just pills for the sake of convenience.

Many people tend to overlook that aspect and its consequences because it is too expensive or cumbersome. And that is very sad.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:23 PM   #30
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
You have some major issues identifying personally with people who do exactly the opposite of what you did for your own child and then take it as a personal insult when someone criticizes them for NOT doing what you did.
I take it personally when someone offers criticism of how I care for my child while suggesting that my doing so is a result of being so self-centered that I simply want to take the easy (for me) way out.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:57 PM   #32
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
But on the other side of that ledger, popping a pill not only doesn't address the symptoms, but covers them up, and does nothing to resolve the problem.

All in all, if this is your child, in all honesty, nothing should be time consuming, expensive, and cumbersome. Would I have my child pop pills to take care of a serious problem? Outside of common cold, more than likely not. Some chemical or neurological imbalance of some sort? I'd read up more on it before going to just pills for the sake of convenience.

Many people tend to overlook that aspect and its consequences because it is too expensive or cumbersome. And that is very sad.

BL.
Completely agree. Hopefully he was saying why "other" people choose to simply medicate as opposed more successful treatment methods (drugs + therapy, therapy alone, etc).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:21 PM   #33
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:17 PM   #34
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Sometimes all a doctor can do is treat the symptoms. If a pill helps someone manage their symptoms (whatever) and get through the day, leading a "normal" life, then so be it.

I wholeheartedly agree that you have to do what's best for your children, regardless of the social implications (pills, IEPs, whatever).

<Just a general comment>
In the end, though, we all have different circumstances which lead to different outcomes. Just because I chose one way doesn't mean that I'm right and you're wrong.
jdechko is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues