Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CompuMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
I think it's important to go with a hosting company that is optimized for WordPress. There are quite a few options out there, but Nexcess really seems to get it. Their staff is quite knowledgeable and they provide the service of a company that hasn't gotten too big to care.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I'm gonna throw Vidahost into the mix: Vidahost

10% Discount Code for them: CL10

I have been using them for around 4 years now for hosting my Blog and a friends site and the support is far better than the previous web hosts I have used. Trust Pilot has a few reviews for them too: Trust Pilot

They have 24/7 support via Phone and Email, I have contacted them a few times to get their help with problems (caused by me) and it has never taken longer than 20 mins to get a reply.

Hope this helps :)

rochow

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
site5.com

Used them for 3 years or so, good uptime and speed. Best of the "cheap" hosts I've used ($6/month or something)

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You can't go wrong with Bluehost. I sell a photography CMS written in PHP that clients install on their own hosts. We recommend Bluehost and have several hundred customers running the CMS there without issue. The servers are fast, PHP is well-configured, you get ssh access and can even set up subversion repositories, all for the base price.

I also have experience with Hostgator (great service) and Mediatemple (also great service, but relatively pricey).

On the other end of the spectrum is Godaddy. Just don't go there. From over-loaded servers, to FTP restrictions that deny multiple connections that many FTP clients depend on, to non-standard or incorrectly setup PHP configurations, to lousy admin interfaces, and to unethical practices such as restricting domain transfers by demanding you update your information and then blocking transfer for 60 days as a result, they are the pits. Just don't go there.

Another one to avoid is Network Solutions. I have encountered errors on their servers and gone mad trying to get any acknowledgment or action from support. You can't reply to support tickets so dealing with them is like being stuck in Groundhog Day.

TravelGuy504

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Hostmonster has meet my needs for 5+ years

I've put several of my web sites and client web sites on this company. I have found them reliable and a good value as they offer:

WordPress and Gallery supported

Telephone technical support 24 hours/365 days

Unlimited Space & Bandwidth

Host Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Email Accounts

Free Domain name

and more...

http://www.hostmonster.com

kwiky

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I just signed up for dreamhost, and it looks pretty good. It's got quite a few features. I just tried the "One Click Install" for wordpress and it works pretty well.

Unlimited Disk Storage + 50GB Personal Storage
Unlimited transfer bandwidth
1 Free Domain
Unlimited pop/imap email accounts
Shell and FTP access (unlimited accounts)
your own jabber chat server
1-click installs (Wordpress, phpBB, MediaWiki, Joomla, Gallery and more)
ability to host unlimited domains and subdomains
MySQL, php, cgi and all the usuals

I went to http://dreamhost.com and used promocode CHEAPHOST4U

Looks like it's $22.40 for the year. Which is like ~$1.87/month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.