Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
I have an early 2008 Mac pro and it doesn't have Wifi.

What's the simplest way to add wifi to it? This looks like it will work, but looks difficult to install.

Any other ideas?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Its either that or finding a USB dongle that will work on OSX, I don't know of another way.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Another option would be an external wireless bridge that you connect via the ethernet port. I have one that I connect my Blu Ray player and network printer to. I used to have a PC attached to it before I bought my Mac Pro.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ask the network forum whether you can attach an Airport Express to your MP (via ethernet) and then use the AE as a bridge to your WiFi.

I haven't looked it up, but if I was considering a USB/ethernet dongle solution I would I would confirm that the USB speed wouldn't throttle the throughput. Like I said, I have no idea what the relative speeds are between USB and WiFi.... but I would look at them incase there is a surprise.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have an early 2008 Mac pro and it doesn't have Wifi.

What's the simplest way to add wifi to it? This looks like it will work, but looks difficult to install.

Any other ideas?

That's the wrong product for starters.

What you want is this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682954-REG/Apple_MB988Z_A_AirPort_Extreme_Card_for.html

Installation is very easy. It's located under the first two HDD bays (if you have drives installed in them).

Simply lay your computer down, remove the first two drives, and you'll see the card slot and antennae just hanging there disconnected; just slide in the card, screw it in with the included screws, attach antennae; it should work immediately.

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
Right this moment, I have an Airport Express connected via ethernet cable to my 2009 MacPro. The AE is linked wirelessly to my main router. I suspect it's not quite as fast as a direct link, but it works great otherwise.

Nevertheless, I want the real deal. But that B&H link, above, is so much cheaper than the Airport card I found on macpartsonline.com.... thanks!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Notice that B&H part is listed for the 2009, not 2008. There is an airport card slot in the 2008, however.

Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airport-Ext...rnal_Network_Cards&hash=item20cc69e0c6&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airport-Ext...rnal_Network_Cards&hash=item3f1e455970&_uhb=1

This is the best option and it's not that hard to install these.

There are plenty of guides online, plus, you will get integrated WiFI and gain a USB port by not using a USB wifi dongle.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
i had an issue installing a wifi card to my 2008 MP in that it was a 2006 specific model wifi card, it ended up showing up as a 'bluetooth PAN' device in networking preferences. however, the wifi icon in the menubar allowed me to select the network and connect successfully. see if you can find a 2008 model wifi card specifically, might be hard though

energyboy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014

Robert Davies

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
People's Republic of Wrexham
I see that this listing is still active but the WIFI card looks like a knockoff or something. I'm also looking for a wifi card for my 2008 Mac Pro.

Anyone if I should just opt for this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YYITW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4RI3XKZXSHQ5

That looks like the official WIFI card from Apple.

Thoughts?

The card you're referring to as 'a knockoff or something' is in LA, and has a full description of the cards's capabalities. The Amazon listing has 3CLeader as the supplier, based in Hong Kong, with a stock generic image in the description.

Your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.