Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
wedouglas
macrumors member

iPhone photos always sideways and tiny when emailed. How do I fix this?

My mom is always sending me photos from her iPhone and they are always the wrong orientations and tiny. How can she fix this? I'm not there to play with her phone and figure it out, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me being that I don't have an iPhone.

Someone just sent me a photo from her iPhone 4S via Sparrow, so says the email, and the orientations is correct. Also, while it is 640x480 as well, it displays in Gmail at a reasonable size.

The ones my mom is sending are sent via iPhone, so says the email, and they are sideways and true 640x480, making them annoyingly small on my 1080 screen. Oddly enough, the thumbnails are the correct orientation.

What's going on here? I have my suspicions that it has to do with how she is sending then, most likely taking a picture and hitting the send button, rather than composing an email with an attachment, though I'm not sure.

Last edited by wedouglas; Nov 6, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
wedouglas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:25 AM   #2
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedouglas View Post
My mom is always sending me photos from her iPhone and they are always the wrong orientations and tiny. How can she fix this? I'm not there to play with her phone and figure it out, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me being that I don't have an iPhone.

Someone just sent me a photo from her iPhone 4S via Sparrow, so says the email, and the orientations is correct. Also, while it is 640x480 as well, it displays in Gmail at a reasonable size.

The ones my mom is sending are sent via iPhone, so says the email, and they are sideways and true 640x480, making them annoyingly small on my 1080 screen. Oddly enough, the thumbnails are the correct orientation.

What's going on here? I have my suspicions that it has to do with how she is sending then, most likely taking a picture and hitting the send button, rather than composing an email with an attachment, though I'm not sure.
She must have sent naughty photos to fret so much over small sideways photos... (not your mom, the girl sending via sparrow)

I've seen mine do the sideways thing but never small pics through email. The iPhone gives you the option to select the file size before sending through email. Make sure she is sending either acutal size or large size.
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:26 AM   #3
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

when you send a pic via email, you have the option to resize, or send full size. she is probably tapping the "email attachment" button which makes it the smaller 640x480. as for the orientation, ask her which way shes holding the phone, then have her try to take a pic holding it the other way.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
wedouglas
macrumors member

Googling this issue more leads me to believe that since the iPhone 4, the images are now just tagged with exif data rather than rotating the raw image data. Web browsers don't seem to honor exif data and so all the images are sideways. I guess Sparrow somehow fixes when attaching.

Lame.
wedouglas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
mdelvecchio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedouglas View Post
Googling this issue more leads me to believe that since the iPhone 4, the images are now just tagged with exif data rather than rotating the raw image data. Web browsers don't seem to honor exif data and so all the images are sideways. I guess Sparrow somehow fixes when attaching.

Lame.
this is still a problem today on iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and Gmail -- photos taken in portrait mode are received in landscape mode. most lame.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 05:07 PM   #6
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
this is still a problem today on iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and Gmail -- photos taken in portrait mode are received in landscape mode. most lame.
Yes. All programs should honor the EXIF orientation tags. The picture is telling them which was is up and it's being ignored.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone