Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wedouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
My mom is always sending me photos from her iPhone and they are always the wrong orientations and tiny. How can she fix this? I'm not there to play with her phone and figure it out, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me being that I don't have an iPhone.

Someone just sent me a photo from her iPhone 4S via Sparrow, so says the email, and the orientations is correct. Also, while it is 640x480 as well, it displays in Gmail at a reasonable size.

The ones my mom is sending are sent via iPhone, so says the email, and they are sideways and true 640x480, making them annoyingly small on my 1080 screen. Oddly enough, the thumbnails are the correct orientation.

What's going on here? I have my suspicions that it has to do with how she is sending then, most likely taking a picture and hitting the send button, rather than composing an email with an attachment, though I'm not sure.

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
My mom is always sending me photos from her iPhone and they are always the wrong orientations and tiny. How can she fix this? I'm not there to play with her phone and figure it out, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me being that I don't have an iPhone.

Someone just sent me a photo from her iPhone 4S via Sparrow, so says the email, and the orientations is correct. Also, while it is 640x480 as well, it displays in Gmail at a reasonable size.

The ones my mom is sending are sent via iPhone, so says the email, and they are sideways and true 640x480, making them annoyingly small on my 1080 screen. Oddly enough, the thumbnails are the correct orientation.

What's going on here? I have my suspicions that it has to do with how she is sending then, most likely taking a picture and hitting the send button, rather than composing an email with an attachment, though I'm not sure.

She must have sent naughty photos to fret so much over small sideways photos... (not your mom, the girl sending via sparrow)

I've seen mine do the sideways thing but never small pics through email. The iPhone gives you the option to select the file size before sending through email. Make sure she is sending either acutal size or large size.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
when you send a pic via email, you have the option to resize, or send full size. she is probably tapping the "email attachment" button which makes it the smaller 640x480. as for the orientation, ask her which way shes holding the phone, then have her try to take a pic holding it the other way.

wedouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Googling this issue more leads me to believe that since the iPhone 4, the images are now just tagged with exif data rather than rotating the raw image data. Web browsers don't seem to honor exif data and so all the images are sideways. I guess Sparrow somehow fixes when attaching.

Lame.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Googling this issue more leads me to believe that since the iPhone 4, the images are now just tagged with exif data rather than rotating the raw image data. Web browsers don't seem to honor exif data and so all the images are sideways. I guess Sparrow somehow fixes when attaching.

Lame.

this is still a problem today on iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and Gmail -- photos taken in portrait mode are received in landscape mode. most lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.