Yes to remove the "iPhone Launch Meetups" sub forum 11 47.83%
No to remove the "iPhone Launch Meetups" sub forum 6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:47 PM   #26
=w=
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
I appreciate what you say here, but two and a bit weeks on and hardly anyone is using the Carrier prefix. It is annoying, because when visiting the iPhone forum, I don't want to see whether T-Mobile or AT&T or Deutsche Telekom are having a big sale, or have improved their contracts. I want to talk about the iPhone.

Just to illustrate my point, I've attached a screenshot from today showing only a portion of the first page. 9 out of 26 topics are about carriers. That's over a third of the discussions. The vast majority of these also don't use the prefix, making it very hard to filter them out.

I just think the idea of a Carriers sub-forum should be revisited.
I admit that i'm a pretty lazy browser.. and opening up the iPhone forum and seeing something like this makes me quickly exit said forum.

Also, I wouldn't call the moderators of this site lazy. If anything, i'd call a few of them a bit overzealous. (Don't take this too personally, because I have a very small sampling of this site -- because, you know, i'm a lazy browser)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #27
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I appreciate what you say here, but two and a bit weeks on and hardly anyone is using the Carrier prefix. It is annoying, because when visiting the iPhone forum, I don't want to see whether T-Mobile or AT&T or Deutsche Telekom are having a big sale, or have improved their contracts. I want to talk about the iPhone.

Just to illustrate my point, I've attached a screenshot from today showing only a portion of the first page. 9 out of 26 topics are about carriers. That's over a third of the discussions. The vast majority of these also don't use the prefix, making it very hard to filter them out.

I just think the idea of a Carriers sub-forum should be revisited.
Good chance in hell the mods are gonna listen.. It was a waste of My time bringing this issue to their attention
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:31 PM   #28
=w=
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Good chance in hell the mods are gonna listen.. It was a waste of My time bringing this issue to their attention
I'm on your side with this "issue".

But your way of approaching the situation at this point is borderline childish. It just sounds like you're whining.

Have you ever been a moderator on a website? Especially on a site of this magnitude, there is a lot more that goes into making such decisions than "oh this guy made a thread, let's do it".

Creating more sub forums makes things harder to access (yes, one click is considered "harder" when it comes to the internet) and assessing the pros/cons of adding a new sub-forum and having people wade through threads they care nothing about is a process.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #29
*Batman*
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =w= View Post
I'm on your side with this "issue".

But your way of approaching the situation at this point is borderline childish. It just sounds like you're whining.

Have you ever been a moderator on a website? Especially on a site of this magnitude, there is a lot more that goes into making such decisions than "oh this guy made a thread, let's do it".

Creating more sub forums makes things harder to access (yes, one click is considered "harder" when it comes to the internet) and assessing the pros/cons of adding a new sub-forum and having people wade through threads they care nothing about is a process.
This does seem like a large forum and I bet it's difficult to keep up with a lot of it. Assuming as much, I think I have to agree with you.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:13 AM   #30
Carlanga
macrumors 601

I can't vote on your poll, but IMHO your idea is not good. All of it.

The mods took initiative and met you halfway and that says a lot of them since you post very little for them to care about your thoughts on the forum. You cry wolf because you didn't get exactly what you wanted and that just looks childish.

IMO not even the carrier prefix is needed and just take space, tags can help someone use the search function and takes the same skill level to add a tag as it it to add a prefix.

You keep rocking mods.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:45 AM   #31
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
I can't vote on your poll, but IMHO your idea is not good. All of it.

The mods took initiative and met you halfway and that says a lot of them since you post very little for them to care about your thoughts on the forum. You cry wolf because you didn't get exactly what you wanted and that just looks childish.

IMO not even the carrier prefix is needed and just take space, tags can help someone use the search function and takes the same skill level to add a tag as it it to add a prefix.

You keep rocking mods.
I agree that the mods do a fairly good job overall, but personally I think that was a bit insulting to the OP.

To be fair, the carrier prefix situation actually impacts people who read the forums more than post - for all you know, he's reading the forums 10 hours a day which would affect him more than someone who posts 100 times a day in other forums. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but you see my point.

I think a prefix/subforum is needed as I don't go to the iPhone forum to talk about carriers - I go there to talk about the iPhone. Tags aren't the answer as how many people do you think use tags? Answer: practically nobody.

I still think this is an issue, but I personally think it needs a more permanent solution that prefixes, as guess what - very few people use prefixes, either. (See my earlier post for evidence).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 04:25 PM   #32
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
I disagree, I wrote based on what he/she has written on this thread.
You are bias because is an idea you like, but the way he/she has express themselves on the thread tells otherwise.

I mentioned tags, because they already exist and I know people don't use them. I don't believe a carrier subdivision is worth it. Nor any new subdivisions, why give a carrier subforum, then go get a sub for iPhone size, color, cable connector, av, audio, music, video, etc etc etc it would never end and at the end most will just post in the general heading.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #33
chrf097
macrumors 68020

I think this should be revisited once again.

I have used the carrier prefix and I know some others have as well, but it's hardly being used.

Here's some information. Attached are 2 screenshots of the first 50 topics in the iPhone forums, not counting the topics that were moved by moderators.

Out of the first 50, 17 are related to carriers. That's slightly over 1/3rd of overall discussion.

Out of these 17, only 3 actually use the carrier tag. That's only 17%. Nobody is really making use of the carrier tag.

Out of these 17, only 4 actually mention anything related to the iPhone in the title. That's less than 1/4th of the topics that up-front relate directly to the iPhone.

The proposal is to create a devoted subforum for discussion of all carriers, US or Worldwide or whatever. There's no need to create a subforum for TM, one for Verizon, etc. but instead just make one large one.

Just like cambookpro, when I go to iPhone, i want to talk about the iPhone, not my iPhone bill or what carrier I should switch to next.

If you look in the Alternative to iOS, there are a few carrier related questions, but most of the discussion is what the subforum is actually about. Out of the first 50 posts in that forum, there were only like, 3 or 4 posts relating to carriers (~6-8%).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.23.04 AM.png
Views:	3
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	468604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.24.25 AM.png
Views:	3
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	468605  
chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #34
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
I think this should be revisited once again.

I have used the carrier prefix and I know some others have as well, but it's hardly being used.

Here's some information. Attached are 2 screenshots of the first 50 topics in the iPhone forums, not counting the topics that were moved by moderators.

Out of the first 50, 17 are related to carriers. That's slightly over 1/3rd of overall discussion.

Out of these 17, only 3 actually use the carrier tag. That's only 17%. Nobody is really making use of the carrier tag.

Out of these 17, only 4 actually mention anything related to the iPhone in the title. That's less than 1/4th of the topics that up-front relate directly to the iPhone.

The proposal is to create a devoted subforum for discussion of all carriers, US or Worldwide or whatever. There's no need to create a subforum for TM, one for Verizon, etc. but instead just make one large one.

Just like cambookpro, when I go to iPhone, i want to talk about the iPhone, not my iPhone bill or what carrier I should switch to next.

If you look in the Alternative to iOS, there are a few carrier related questions, but most of the discussion is what the subforum is actually about. Out of the first 50 posts in that forum, there were only like, 3 or 4 posts relating to carriers (~6-8%).

He broke it down a lot better than I could... So how bout it moderators?
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #35
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
How much did you pay last year towards the salaries of the staff and the site's running costs? How much work have you put into supporting and maintaining this site and its caretakers apart from running your mouth?

Haha... Got me there and this is when I should had shut my mouth , I never saw this post, that being said with the amount of ads this site has vs the amount of traffic.. I can only imagine that macrumors is doing very well...

That being said I like this site.. I'm more of a reader than a poster.. Nevertheless I'll do my part with the upkeep of this form.. Will make a contribution in a week or two

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback