Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If your goal is a turbine powered Cobra (I have seen the turbines helis fly), your going to need to know how to fly.
I've already flown a turbine powered Cobra. A real one. :)

Just thought that someday it might be fun to have a turbine RC one. I figure that it will set me back a bit but what the heck. If I do go that route, I will want to make one with some extra features that real one's have like articulated pylons, rack ejectors, and the like.

XRB is good for basic hovering and upright orientation skills (like flying nose in). The downside is that non coaxial helis are no where near that stable. Your not going to be taking your hands off the sticks to take a picture of it.

The T-Rex is not something your going to fly in your house (although some do). For all intent purposes, it's a full blown RC heli. What's nice about them, is that they are very quick and once you learn to fly it, your reaction time will get very fast. When you move to a bigger heli, it will seem "heavy" and slow in comparison.
The XBR is a lot of fun to mess around with since you can do some interesting tricks that are impossible with a TR type.

I currently have a Honey Bee King 2 that I fly indoors at home. Good for precision hovering, but Japanese homes are much smaller than your average US home so there isn't much you can do. But it does improve your accuracy, and close in reflexes since there is absolutely no room for error. I also fly outside or in a local gym with my friends.

I like my King 2. It's fun to fly. About half the folks here have them, the others the T-Rex. Many have a Quark, or other small heli like a Wink, in addition to their King 2 or T-Rex.

The T-Rex looks cool to me as well, so I may get one of those down the road. But for now, the King 2 will suffice.

At this point in time, I am not interested in 3D flying, but rather doing real heli maneuvers with precision such as ground taxi, run on landings, bubble landings, max performance T/Os, min performance T/Os, accels, decels, realistic aerobatic maneuvers such as RTTs -- basically everything I did when flying real helicopters such as the Cobra.

I must say that the Quark looks interesting to me. It's neat, small and fun. I may just pick me up one for the heck of it.

Here's a link for you to some very nice high end Fuselages:

http://www.lenmountscalefuselages.com/cobra.htm
Nice site. Thanks.

I may opt for a smaller electric AH-1S model for a variety of reasons, one of which is simple storage space. And I also like flying indoors, so that rules out a turbine or large one. Decisions... But time is on my side. :)

One thing is for sure, the technology seems to be accelerating in the RC arena due to its increased popularity.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I have a 14MZ that I dumped a fortune into. I won't switch to spectrum until I really have a need for it. If I were to get a new radio, that would certainly be a good choice. I see a bunch of guys down at the field with them, no issues whatsoever.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Mine's the Futaba T7C.
Sweet! :)

I have a 14MZ that I dumped a fortune into. I won't switch to spectrum until I really have a need for it. If I were to get a new radio, that would certainly be a good choice. I see a bunch of guys down at the field with them, no issues whatsoever.
Yeah, I would say that qualifies as a fortune! :)

My local hobby store was pushing that model. Cost was about 2,600 USD. Luckily, I have the Mode 2 out since everyone here is flying Mode 1. Yes, they can order Mode 2 for me, but understand I may want to order from the US. That's one reason why I went with Spektrum since they cannot get them here. So no honor lost in the deal.

Anyhow, nice system. What are you flying with 14 channels?

brett567

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Very Nice, AirHogs Havoc Heli. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.I haven't got much experience with helis but i read that It is quite stable outside. It's very hard to fly it inside in a small room I think it should be better if It flies where there is a lot more room available. But it sure looks very cool with all the scales and spinning tail blade.The thing to remember with RC helis, as with all aircraft, is that control input will continue to affect orientation after you release the controls.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I gave it a go about 10 years ago with a $500 helo. IMO, my mistake was building it myself. It flew fine for a couple of weeks and then one day it went haywire and turned into very little pieces on impact, due to what I suspect was part of the control mechanism coming loose. In my opinion, if going with a larger, expensive model, you need someone to professionally build it for you and then keep it under a maintenance plan with someone who is very familiar with it's mechanical underpinnings. Granted, technology has changed a bunch since then but my guess is that maintenance is just as critical today as it was 10 years ago.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
since this thread has been revived, here's my heli: EDIT - posted the wrong video the bottom one is my DREAM heli!

added a video of me flying my heli (the top one), it's a gasser (regular pump gas and 2 stroke oil) not a turbine

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I crashed mine 12 years ago while trying to learn hovering on the ground. flipped over and the rotor went deep in the ground. I decided thats too dangerous for me and gave up.
One team mate crashed a week earlier his "Airwolf" ...

I envy with every skilled RC heli pilot.

----------

since this thread has been revived, here's my heli

YouTube: video

really nice; the sound remind me on a RC SR71 with jet engine I once saw on an airshow. makes noise like a big one :rolleyes:
Nice hobby :D

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
...really nice; the sound remind me on a RC SR71 with jet engine I once saw on an airshow. makes noise like a big one :rolleyes:
Nice hobby :D

opps, posted the wrong video, that's my dream heli running a turbine engine, I have a gasser heli (regular pump gas and 2 stroke oil same size as the turbine) added a video of me flying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.