Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
JamesTheFish
macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt display or dual monitors?

Hey All,

I'm pretty settled on a Mac Mini (upgrade the processor, manually upgrade the RAM, maybe do a fusion drive) but I'm on the fence about an Apple Thunderbolt Display (refurbished) or running dual monitors. I'm looking at a refurb Thunderbolt display to keep the cost down, but I have a feeling that it might be around longer than the Mini as I can upgrade the Mini down the road. I'm tempted to run dual cheaper monitors to keep the costs down but still get a bunch of real estate to work with (I have dual ViewSonic 22" at work).

I've read about the HDMI port monitor having to be calibrated to get to match the other port's monitor, is this really a concern?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks...
JamesTheFish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2
JimWPVB
macrumors member

Mac Mini and Monitors

I tried your approach with the Mac Mini with a TBD (2012 model) (great picture) and a HDMI monitor (actually, a series of monitors). The TBD worked great, the HDMI not so much and was an unacceptable picture. So poor, in fact, I returned the Mac Mini and ordered an iMac. This was true even after the firmware upgrade. And trying numerous cables, etc.

Oddly, at least to me, a USB monitor (AOC, 22", $150 +/-) worked great and the display was excellent. Seemed to confirm to me that the problem is the HDMI port.
JimWPVB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
CarlHeanerd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheFish View Post
Hey All,

I'm pretty settled on a Mac Mini (upgrade the processor, manually upgrade the RAM, maybe do a fusion drive) but I'm on the fence about an Apple Thunderbolt Display (refurbished) or running dual monitors. I'm looking at a refurb Thunderbolt display to keep the cost down, but I have a feeling that it might be around longer than the Mini as I can upgrade the Mini down the road. I'm tempted to run dual cheaper monitors to keep the costs down but still get a bunch of real estate to work with (I have dual ViewSonic 22" at work).

I've read about the HDMI port monitor having to be calibrated to get to match the other port's monitor, is this really a concern?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks...
For me, a well calibrated and accurate display will trump two bad monitors. The satisfaction that comes from a well presented display will always beat the chronic frustration of poor picture quality. Additionally, OS X offers good multitasking management and spaces to get the effect of multiple monitors. I'd go with the Thunderbolt Display.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
JamesTheFish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlHeanerd View Post
For me, a well calibrated and accurate display will trump two bad monitors. The satisfaction that comes from a well presented display will always beat the chronic frustration of poor picture quality. Additionally, OS X offers good multitasking management and spaces to get the effect of multiple monitors. I'd go with the Thunderbolt Display.
Yeah, this is what I'm leaning towards... The TB display is such an elegant solution, like all Apple stuff, it just works and works well.

Thanks for the input!
JamesTheFish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

I like the TB display also but I'm waiting for the next refresh as we'll likely see the "reduced" glare treatment of the latest iMac plus USB3.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:30 PM   #6
jocamero
macrumors member

Over the years I've required lots of screen real estate... From dual 19" CRTs, each @ 1280x1024, to a 30" ACD, and finally to a 27" TBD.

That being said, I would go with the 27" TBD. The built in iSight, speakers, mic, and auto backlight based on ambient lighting are nice features. Plus the USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt and GigE ports on the back all going over one (built in) Thunderbolt cable makes for a clean setup.

tl;dr Get the 27" TBD.
jocamero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice