Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:11 PM   #126
RCAFBrat
macrumors regular

Noticed that no one has tried using Linux on the PC side; although I highly doubt it would work given Apple statement about Mac-to-Mac, I don't know enough about the drivers, TB compatibility in Linux, etc to know if it is worthwhile looking into.

Note self interest in this subject:

Need to build a PC for my son to render scenes in Blender and was planning on using Linux to keep price in check. The GT 650M in his iMac does not have enough RAM or CUDA cores for GPU rendering the scenes he is working on. It would have been nice to not have to buy a monitor since I'd much rather put the $ towards a better CPU (will be Intel's loss).

The high price points and limitations such as this are crippling TB in my opinion. This makes me .

Cheers
RCAFBrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:23 AM   #127
RCAFBrat
macrumors regular

Just read the following:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTcwMDU

Looks like Linux is out for the time being (quote: no Apple Thunderbolt Display support) but I wonder if it might be more promising than Windows since it is at least a thought? Looks like objective is to support Linux on Mac computers.
RCAFBrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 05:51 PM   #128
insane79
macrumors 6502

is it easier to use a late 2012 27" iMac as a thunderbolt display if its connected to a mac pro 2013(desktop)? i m planning to upgrade to a mac pro soon so would be great to use my 27" iMac as a display.

Thanks..
insane79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:49 PM   #129
RCAFBrat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
is it easier to use a late 2012 27" iMac as a thunderbolt display if its connected to a mac pro 2013(desktop)? i m planning to upgrade to a mac pro soon so would be great to use my 27" iMac as a display.

Thanks..
Will be fully supported since it is Mac-to-Mac.

The iMac will function as monitor but I doubt it will have other functionality such as USB hub like in the case of a Thunderbolt display - not sure if you can do target disk and target display at same time but that would be really interesting, maybe with two TB cables?

The issue the OP is having is with non OS X computer connected to iMac.

Makes me wonder whether a Hackintosh could be made to work?

Cheers
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:57 AM   #130
insane79
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAFBrat View Post
Will be fully supported since it is Mac-to-Mac.

The iMac will function as monitor but I doubt it will have other functionality such as USB hub like in the case of a Thunderbolt display - not sure if you can do target disk and target display at same time but that would be really interesting, maybe with two TB cables?

The issue the OP is having is with non OS X computer connected to iMac.

Makes me wonder whether a Hackintosh could be made to work?

Cheers
thanks for the help. so basically the iMac has to be powered on to osx to make it work as a monitor? if thats the case its sad we can't have access to the usb & hard drive of the iMac then.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:07 PM   #131
RCAFBrat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
thanks for the help. so basically the iMac has to be powered on to osx to make it work as a monitor? if thats the case its sad we can't have access to the usb & hard drive of the iMac then.
According to this support article, video and sound only although iMac continues to operate normally in the background:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14264

Same here (this is an excellent article):

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs...-display-mode/

Although I doubt it would work, it would be interesting to know if it is possible to do target display and target disk modes at the same time using two Thunderbolt cables; also wonder if target disk mode exposes external USB drives attached to the target Mac or just the internal drive(s).

Cheers
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:29 AM   #132
insane79
macrumors 6502

Has anyone come with a fix to mak the new slim iMacs into an external monitor running windows? i thought a hack or a software to fix that would eb out by now?

Thanks..

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
target display mode, thunderbolt