Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You think the current stock price is ok? $290 billion of Apple’s market value has been wiped out in just six months. Stock is at a 52 week low. In 7 months it dropped from $700+ to sub $400.

None of that means anything to you?:confused:

No not really, but this is coming from someone who had the stock when it is $10-12 a share. So no.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Well to be honest, I'm not a big stock expert but I get the impression a lot of it is based on a sort of mob mentality and is easily manipulated. I mean everything I read says Apple still makes healthy profits and sales and hold a good chukc of the market-they still dominate the tablet market for instance. I just get the impression as a layperson that the stock market doesn't always jibe with reality. :eek:

The stock market is the most corrupt and manipulative system in this world. People speculating in money, getting rich due to others getting poor. Temptation is almost irresistible. Yet, since Apple chose to be part of this with their stocks, and reward their employees and executives with stock, they deserve the disgusting manipulation and outcome of it.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you ask me, its mainly in the poor state of their software. iOS 4 was miles ahead of any other mobile OS at the time. We're now on iOS 6 and I'd say both Android and Windows Phone have the edge. Since iOS 4 all they have done is add more icons I cannot delete, make my iPhone slower and break a few apps.

OS X is another example. Since Snow Leopard, OS X has had nothing but an iOS makeover. Still no up to date version of OpenGL for gamers, multi-monitor support pretty much gone and a massive focus on redesigning apps that really didn't need it (with the exception of iTunes). The added security they've put in is nice, but half the iOS inspired features seem implemented awkwardly and just seem to get in the way.

Lack of attention to pro apps has been clearly visible over the years.

I guess the problem for me is that it is great that these devices work fine for the average Joe, but there seems to be nothing but stale air if you want to do something a bit beyond that. Apple's software used to be a great blend of features for both the pros and the consumers and it seems increasingly one sided nowadays, reducing their gadgets to nothing but mere consuming devices rather than devices for creativity.

This is very much my view, and it started well before the departure of Jobs. I thought Apple started to lose its spark quite a while ago.

Apple has been slowly shunting the pro market, even the pro-sumer market, to focus almost solely on the "one-button" consumer model. Everything seems to be getting so simple that you can hardly do anything complex any more. And the last thing I want is my desktop running mobile phone software, which it seems like they are pushing.

Although I do question your comment about multi-monitor support. I've got an iMac with two separate external monitors attached to it, for a three-monitor system. It was quick and easy to set up.

As for the stock price, I called that years ago. How could anyone think that Apple would keep blowing it out of the park year after year? At some point, they would hit every market and that would be that. But maybe that's their plan, they will re-hit the pro market and start over. naaaah...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I was reading that too. I agree that even a rumor of it will make the stock market move.

But why wouldn't Apple be looking? The numbers don't lie. Stocks are dropping with no sign of stopping. How long will they let him drive a sinking ship?

Stock is increasing now :)

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
As for the stock price, I called that years ago. How could anyone think that Apple would keep blowing it out of the park year after year? At some point, they would hit every market and that would be that. But maybe that's their plan, they will re-hit the pro market and start over. naaaah...

Problem is that they didn't even maintain for a while. Straight up, straight down.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Problem is that they didn't even maintain for a while. Straight up, straight down.

They very steadily increased from early 2009 through the end of 2011 from about $90 to about $405. It almost looks like a straight line, it's so even. Then from January 2012 to the middle of September, they shot up to $700. $300 increase in a matter of 9 months. I think it just went too fast, then corrected quickly. Unfortunately for many who thought they were jumping on a gravy train, it didn't just correct, the wheels fell off.

Any time I see something increasing with that speed, I predict a drop soon afterwards. Few times have I seen a quick large increase followed by a long hold.

But I am by no means a financial wizard.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'd say Tim Cook is a decent care-taker CEO, but not one that seems to have great vision or drive.

Yes, Apple has enjoyed a lot of successes financially under him, but most of the grunt work was done by Steve.

Look at some of the missteps under his leadership.

Apple Maps is an unmitigated failure, one that should have not seen the light of day. Beta testers of iOS 6 were quite vocal in stating its lack of finish, but they rolled something out that was incomplete and buggy.

Hiring Browett, all I can say for someone who's supposed to be a supply chain genius and one who has his pulse on the apple stores, he screwed this up big. No way should he have been hired

I'm not sure if its really his "mistake" but I'll mention it. Why in the world would you roll out a thin iMac, I mean it just sits on the desk, and because of the components its only thin from one angle, you cannot help but see the bulge in the back.

Siri has not really been the success it should have been, though this may have been partly on Job's watch I'm not sure about the timing.

Ive as a potential candidate for CEO depending on what he does with IOS7?

Well, this is MacRumors....:D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What's wrong with Phil Schiller?

Nothing really wrong; just looked another video of one of his presentations. Not bad, much better the I ever will be (not difficult :rolleyes: ). But charisma ? Not sure if he should do the lead dancer ... It's really difficult the replace SJ in that respect.

As mentioned before by Badrottie: Bill Gates comes close ... But of course will not happen.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
I have a few points:

1)CEOs do not, and very typically ARE NOT, charismatic and flashy and cool people such as the infamous Jobs. Period. CEOs are people with an extreme amount of experience in running companies and/or divisions of companies. They have leadership experience and vision. They typically are NOT in the day-to-day tasks of building/designing products...that's what Product Managers are for.

2)Steve Jobs is something of an urban legend...smart, mean, in people's faces all day long, hands are in the design of every single product/feature. He originally started/owned Apple so for a long time, yes, those points made sense. But 99% of CEOs of publicly-traded companies did not start the company...they were brought in to make a company even better...and maybe even take a company Public.

3)I really have no idea what Cook does all day long and that's fine...I have no idea what the CEOs of 100 other companies I can list here do all day long, too. At the end of the day, Cook (or insert your Apple CEO here) needs to report to (unfortunately) Apple Share Holders...the ASH want to earn money...how does Cook make them happy and make them earn money?...by creating good profits, instilling promise that there will be growth, and introducing new products/services that promise to earn new avenues of money for the company.

I don't think Steve Jobs was the best CEO of all time...he introduced some great products in the 2000's and turned the company around...his "presence" was really inflated by the legions of loyal Apple fans...kind of like a fan base of some hot new recording artist.

If someone is looking for the next Steve Jobs (in all aspects of him), you're going to spend a long time looking for that person...If you're looking for a CEO that's going to lead Apple and turn a healthy profit for Apple and the Shareholders, heck, there are a lot of CEO's out there that can do that. Is Cook that guy? I don't know...I think he needs a little more time...Jobs obviously recommend him...Apple shelled out a boatload of money to retain Cook...but if he gets axed tomorrow, either the Board knows something we don't or they're making a poor decision based on comparing Cook with Jobs.

softwareguy256

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I think its pretty much over for apple. Samsung, Intel, Google have established outposts in apple's territory and apple's going to get grinded out just by sheer brute force. Without Jobs, there is no way apple can sell items for the premium price they are used to. The writing will be on the wall when these apple stores start closing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think its pretty much over for apple. Samsung, Intel, Google have established outposts in apple's territory and apple's going to get grinded out just by sheer brute force. Without Jobs, there is no way apple can sell items for the premium price they are used to. The writing will be on the wall when these apple stores start closing.

http://www.macerkopf.de/2013/05/03/eroeffnung-apple-store-berlin-kurfuerstendamm-fotos-und-videos/

berlin7.jpg
berlin10.jpg

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Nonsense.

Apple clearly needs to fill the role that Jobs played, but none of these other companies have a visionary the likes of Steve, and they certainly won't be running away with the phone and tablet markets any time soon.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

For a minute there, you almost had me convinced that someone could have written such a dumb post intentionally. Nice trolling.

softwareguy256

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Sorry, your problem is that you base opinion as fact. I have stated several undeniable facts that all point to one logical concrete thesis. If you don't like it too bad. Most people need to see the writing on the wall to be convinced. Time will prove me to be correct.

For a minute there, you almost had me convinced that someone could have written such a dumb post intentionally. Nice trolling.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sorry, your problem is that you base opinion as fact. I have stated several undeniable facts that all point to one logical concrete thesis. If you don't like it too bad. Most people need to see the writing on the wall to be convinced. Time will prove me to be correct.

Another good one! Keep 'em coming. I need entertainment on late nights.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I really hate how much importance people put on Wall St and share prices.

Sure, their share price has fallen but why? Sales and market share are consistently high, Apple have significant cash reserves and their lines have reached maturity to the point where their margins must be pretty good.

Even if their share price is falling, it seems to be based on sentiment rather then reality.

As for Cook, he is doing an OK job. He is the calm head that keeps everything in check, and people like Ive have control over their respective departments to push Apple's "vision".

Steve had charisma, but people should never underestimate the team he built up around him. He's gone but they are by and large still there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Lets see in Q1 Apple posted ~$13B in profit, in Q2 $9.5B. The only company to come close to generating figures like that is Exxon Mobile, an oil company. Apple rose frm #17 to #6 in the Fortune 500 rankings. Yet what is the Wall Street chatter about? If Apple's CEO should be replaced. All because they're not matching or surpassing the crazy, once in a lifetime numbers from FY 2012. What a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.