Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
If I am only using one computer that will be hard-wired (with no other internet enabled devices), do I even need a router? Can I just plug it in directly to the modem (are there safety issues?). Thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
There would be no safety issues using a modem hard wired to your computer. If there is no wifi requirement, not having wifi will make your network more secure than a wifi network with a password.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There would be no safety issues using a modem hard wired to your computer.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. There are risks from being connected directly to the modem that being behind a router (wired or wireless) avoids, such as port sniffing.
Hacking a wireless network is a potential vulnerability, too, but that's still not "in" your computer, unless you've got public shares.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
When you say there are no Internet enabled devices, does that mean that there are other devices or that there are no other devices.

If there are other devices, what are you doing about DHCP ? Where are these other devices getting a local IP address ? If they are all USB attached to your sole device, then you are OK without DHCP as your device will get an IP address from your ISP and the USB devices don't need an IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.