Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I may be well out of the 'know' here, but I did check this a few weeks ago and it wasn't working then.

Checked earlier and it seems the desktop version of Youtube is now working great on my iPad3. It even works proper full screen! - unlike the mobile version.

Is there even any need for an app now? Just need a way to make the desktop version open by default.

:D

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I may be well out of the 'know' here, but I did check this a few weeks ago and it wasn't working then.

Checked earlier and it seems the desktop version of Youtube is now working great on my iPad3. It even works proper full screen! - unlike the mobile version.

Is there even any need for an app now? Just need a way to make the desktop version open by default.

:D

The mobile version is fantastic too.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Ironically YouTube has stopped working when web pages imbed it in a web page in Safari. I keep having to click the screen to open it on the native YouTube webpage on my iMac.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Last I checked, the desktop version doesn't let you select quality, so it's worthless unless you're fine with not watching HD.

Also, the lack of fullscreen on the mobile version isn't really a big issue, thanks to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen. There's enough room in the letterboxing of a 16:9 video to put the interface, or in other words, you're not missing anything. And not being able to fullscreen actually avoids the contrast issue in the other thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484132/

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Last I checked, the desktop version doesn't let you select quality, so it's worthless unless you're fine with not watching HD.

Also, the lack of fullscreen on the mobile version isn't really a big issue, thanks to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen. There's enough room in the letterboxing of a 16:9 video to put the interface, or in other words, you're not missing anything. And not being able to fullscreen actually avoids the contrast issue in the other thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484132/

Yes it does.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
It's working, but the old youtube app was just perfect. Pisses me off that they removed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.