Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #26
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister View Post
Why's everybody so hung up on SL? When I bought my first apple, it came preinstalled with Leopard (10.5.6).

When SL came along, this place was filled with complaints on how crap it was and people going back to Leopard.

When Lion came along, this place was filled with complaints on how crap it was and people going back to SL.

When ML came along, this place was filled with complaints on how crap it was and people going back to Lion.

I mean, it's history repeating itself with every major release.

SL leopard wasn't the cat's meow. If I look back at my benchmark results over all releases on the same laptop, Leopard was the fastest of the bunch. As far as stability, none of the cats so far have given me any real problems.

But despite all this, each new release from Apple is still better, more polished and more refined than the previous versions imo.
This person hit the nail right on the head. There's nothing in Mountain Lion that wasn't in Snow Leopard that makes it less productive. You could even argue that ML has more features that make it more productive. Some people like change, others hate it. Overall, I like Mountain Lion. That said, Launchpad is dumb.
Nielsenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #27
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partron22 View Post
Finder 10.8.1 is often slower at updating folder contents than was System 7.0.1 on my Mac SE 30*.
Yes, this is unfair given Apple's recent de-emphasis of 'Finder' in favor of 'Launchpad' etc., but we are talking about a 16 MHz machine, vs a multi-GHz machine with multiple cores.
Don't even get me started on boot times.
ML contains plenty of room for fat-trimming and general improvements. Nothing of the sort is going to happen any time soon, but that's no reason to delude ourselves into thinking everything is just ducky in Lion-land.

----
*Good golly, $6,500 in 1989 dollars!? I wonder who I stole that from?
As someone whose first Mac was an SE and who helped a colleague setup his SE/30, I can start with absolute confidence that the post quote above is complete nonsense.
MisterMe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:32 PM   #28
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Traded in my Apple III for a Macintosh, and Ubuntu is looking better with each OS release since Snow Leopard. Naturally, multi- monitor support sucks on Ubuntu too. OS's in general seem to be going thru an excessively cell phriendly phase. Perhaps that'll change in a decade.
As a linux user since 1995...

LOL.

Application support isn't there
The linux community is NIH hostile
Get ready to give up the apps you like every 18 months.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:22 AM   #29
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Finder 10.8.1 is often slower at updating folder contents than was System 7.0.1 on my Mac SE 30.
Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Yes, this is unfair given Apple's recent de-emphasis of 'Finder' in favor of 'Launchpad' etc., but we are talking about a 16 MHz machine, vs a multi-GHz machine with multiple cores.
It's not fair because they are fundamentally different OSs, not because Apple has de-emphasized Finder in favor of Launchpad (which it hasn't). New features for Finder in Mountain Lion: five. New features for Launchpad: one. Tell me which one got more attention.

Yes, modern Macs have astronomically more power than a Mac SE 30, but they also do astronomically more. Can OS X get faster? Of course, no one is saying that there isn't room for improvement.

Quote:
Don't even get me started on boot times.
Why should you? There's very little reason to restart your Mac pretty much ever, apart from updates.

Quote:
ML contains plenty of room for fat-trimming and general improvements.
This is true of pretty much any software that exists. It's ALWAYS true. So no one is denying that, but to claim that ML has bloatware (I know YOU didn't claim it) is completely inaccurate.

Quote:
Nothing of the sort is going to happen any time soon, but that's no reason to delude ourselves into thinking everything is just ducky in Lion-land.
Nothing is ever perfect, but ML has been working quite well for me. My MBP is just as fast as it was with SL. And, TBH, it works faster than any Mac SE I've ever used in every aspect.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion