Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
iPhone 3GS x2 - Otterbox Defenders
iPhone 5 - Otterbox Defender
iPad 4 - Apple Smart Case
iPad Mini - Apple Smart Cover

Reason for covering; due to the amount of money I spend on these items and resale value.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Not for me.
I have my iPhone 5 with only a skin and screen protector
The iPad (3) had a cheap-o $5 case but it's looking pretty beat so I just took it out so it's naked with just a screen protector
My wife uses a case on her phone though.

Worth noting that I have AC+ for both my phone and the iPad.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
4S - Apple Bumper
iPad Mini - lioncase Folio Shield

Without the cases, my devices feel... slippery I guess is the right word. Like if I'm not careful, they'll slip out of my hands. The cases add just enough girth that they don't feel slippery and I can hold them without fear.

Also, the lioncase has a Smart Cover feature that works great.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Without the cases, my devices feel... slippery I guess is the right word. Like if I'm not careful, they'll slip out of my hands. The cases add just enough girth that they don't feel slippery and I can hold them without fear.

I thought that at first but it was just the effect of having something in a case, then not having it in a case. You get very used to it NOT being in a case very quickly and then it's hard to go back.

Get a skin if you think it's slippery. It makes it more rubbery (feels like a prophylactic).

I used to always think people who carried their $650-$850 devices around w/o a case were crazy. now I'm one of them.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
If I do use a case on my iPhone 4, it's the Mophie juice pack air. Otherwise I rock it without a case.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
of-course.jpg
on my iphone :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you use a case on your iPhone and iPad?
iPhone: no
iPad: yes

I have an otterbox defender for both my 4s and ipad 2 and I was thinking of just ditching cases and screen protectors all together.
Why are you polling others? It's a matter of preference. You have to do what works for you.

Since one of the best things about iPhone is its build quality and if I use any case, it hides the build quality which I do not like.
A lot of "build quality" isn't visually apparent to begin with. Are you intending to say "aesthetics" (which a case would hide)?

I thought that at first but it was just the effect of having something in a case, then not having it in a case. You get very used to it NOT being in a case very quickly and then it's hard to go back.
You might find that to be the case but you really can't speak for others. Again, it's a matter of preference which varies from person to person and is evidenced by the various options people select.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
On my iphone 5 I have a screen protector. I do have a gear 4 tread case. But I only have my case on when I am outside my house.

Jimmymck

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
iPhone 5 - cheap leather wallet case (from amazon)

iPad 3 - a nifty invision case (again, from amazon)

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I have a few cases for my 4S. I'm afraid if I drop the phone it will shatter into a million pieces if its naked lol, plus I need an external battery, so I can use the phone all day..

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
iPhone 5 (white) - Otterbox Commuter (white)
iPad mini (white) - Switcheasy CoverBuddy (clear) + Apple Smart Cover (RED)

Me too! Almost.
iPhone 5 (black) - Otterbox Commuter
iPad Mini (white) - Smart Cover

I broke my last naked iPhone on the concrete, so this time I made sure to get an Otterbox for it.

----------

OtterBox Defender on my 5, looking to switch up to a smaller case though. When I had my 4 I always went naked, felt great.

Being naked always feels great.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a semi-clear black case that covers the back of my iPhone. Mainly so that I don't have to worry about it getting scratches when I lay it on a flat surface. It doesn't really provide any drop protection but I'm not worried about dropping it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.