Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ataylor2009

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
You most definitely can get it to work without an iOS device. Play the video using the video station app on your laptop/desktop and it will open a new window with the video player. In the lower right hand corner you will see the AirPlay icon and you can stream it directly to the ATV. This works for both Mac and PC.

Wait...so all I have to do to watch a movie on my Apple TV is start it playing on my computer first? Well, color THAT convenient.

Not complaining to you, monkey...just think this is kind of a stupid implementation. Wouldn't even go so far as to call it a feature.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You most definitely can get it to work without an iOS device. Play the video using the video station app on your laptop/desktop and it will open a new window with the video player. In the lower right hand corner you will see the AirPlay icon and you can stream it directly to the ATV. This works for both Mac and PC.

It still seems a bit deceptive, it can't stream to an ATV. It can stream to a 3rd device (Mac/PC/iOS) which in turn can stream to the ATV, but there is no storage->ATV streaming.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
It still seems a bit deceptive, it can't stream to an ATV. It can stream to a 3rd device (Mac/PC/iOS) which in turn can stream to the ATV, but there is no storage->ATV streaming.

Actually when you initiate AirPlay from the Video Station app on your Mac or PC it streams directly, it does not route through the Mac/PC. I thought the exact same thing but found that the AirPlay functionality is a direct function within the server, not client side. You can look at the networking throughput of your computer to verify this (as I did) and see that your Mac/PC is not actually having any noticeable network throughput from this.

----------

Wait...so all I have to do to watch a movie on my Apple TV is start it playing on my computer first? Well, color THAT convenient.

Not complaining to you, monkey...just think this is kind of a stupid implementation. Wouldn't even go so far as to call it a feature.

I agree it isn't the best implementation, but it is hardly Synology's fault. Apple has the HomeSharing system locked down so tight the NSA couldn't make a workaround for it. They are not allowing anyone to use the Apple APIs that are involved with HomeSharing and it is honestly (IMO) hurting Apple in this case by not letting NAS owners use them to their full potential.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Actually when you initiate AirPlay from the Video Station app on your Mac or PC it streams directly, it does not route through the Mac/PC. I thought the exact same thing but found that the AirPlay functionality is a direct function within the server, not client side. You can look at the networking throughput of your computer to verify this (as I did) and see that your Mac/PC is not actually having any noticeable network throughput from this.

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the correction!

It still would be nice if they could initiate the stream directly from the ATV, but at least they're correct in advertising it as-is!

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
And there's no way to initiate that from an iOS device? It has to be from a computer? (if you want direct NAS-> ATV Airplay)

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I think you can, yes. Though I don't currently have one, so I'm not certain (though I'd happily buy one if it could emulate a Home Sharing share).

Yea... I'm on the fence about it myself. Leaning towards getting the Synology, but I just HATE the fact that I have to have another machine running just to serve content. I might just build my own file server... don't know yet.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
And there's no way to initiate that from an iOS device? It has to be from a computer? (if you want direct NAS-> ATV Airplay)

I just checked using the video station app on my phone and it appears that the AirPlay must be routed through the phone. I did, however, find a very interesting little tidbit that if you disconnect your phone from wifi while it is AirPlaying, you will get a content error on the screen. If you push the Play button on the ATV remote again, however (with your phone still disconnected form wifi), the video will start playing again!

Very intriguing...

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
AFter reading this thread, I guess I won't bother.

Right now, having my iTunes library on the Synology, and being able to access it via ATV, works very well.

-t

dewerker

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Interesting discussion, but not 100% clear to me yet...

I am about to buy a Synology NAS and probably an ATV3. Can I stream any videoformat (i.e. including MKV) to the ATV3? I don't mind using my Iphone as in ' intermediate' device, but I want to video to be fullscreen on my TV.

Does anybody know if that works or not?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Interesting discussion, but not 100% clear to me yet...

I am about to buy a Synology NAS and probably an ATV3. Can I stream any videoformat (i.e. including MKV) to the ATV3? I don't mind using my Iphone as in ' intermediate' device, but I want to video to be fullscreen on my TV.

Does anybody know if that works or not?

This does not work through the current Synology system "as-is". You can, however, download the PLEX app for your Synology and air-play them this way through your iPhone. You can also do it with a few other programs going through your iMac or other devices.

There are a couple stipulations, however. In order for you to be able to stream any mkv file or the like to the Apple TV, it needs to be transcoded. This is literally the exact same thing that Handbrake and other programs do, except that it does it real time as the movie is playing (and doesn't physically change the file). This takes a lot of processor power, and therefore is not supported on ARM based NAS units (for Synology, this means models ending in j. EX: DS413j).

The other stipulation is that you must have an intermediate device, whether that is an iOS device, Mac, PC, or something else (jailbroken ATV works as well of course, but only ATV2).

dewerker

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Thank you, that is really helpfull information. The NAS will would be an 213+ anyway, so the CPU power should be fine.

One more question though, will the movie be displayed full screen on my television or will it be 'mirrored' from my Iphone.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you, that is really helpfull information. The NAS will would be an 213+ anyway, so the CPU power should be fine.

One more question though, will the movie be displayed full screen on my television or will it be 'mirrored' from my Iphone.

With the Plex app itself, it'll use Airplay for the video (not mirroring) and it'll display full screen on the TV.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I think this thread has gone way off topic as it currently has nothing to do with Synology's beta Video playback software or apparently Apple TV.

sswany

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2005
Just wanted to chime in. The DS Video app on iOS DOES allow you to initiate the stream directly from the Synology box to an Apple TV (or DLNA TV). You can then close the app and keep watching.

I have a Synology DS413 that it works great with.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just wanted to chime in. The DS Video app on iOS DOES allow you to initiate the stream directly from the Synology box to an Apple TV (or DLNA TV). You can then close the app and keep watching.

I have a Synology DS413 that it works great with.

Just a note, he is now correct. It did NOT previously allow this with the 4.2 BETA builds, but now that it has been moved to live it appears they have changed how it works. It now works exactly the same as the web interface and also integrates a full DLNA support as well.

Looks like Synology actually listens to their customer complaints and ideas! Maybe now Apple can take a hint...

tokyojerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
MacMini / Plex Alternatives for Synology NAS

This is true, now only if I could get it to actually work with my .m4v (Handbrake ATV3) files (gives a content error).

Would have been something if it actually supported Home Sharing, but that's very unlikely.

It's why I won't bother with AppleTV at this point in time. I've bought one twice (AppleTV2 and 3) and have sold it twice (on auction), because of it's homesharing and networking limitations. I deploy a macmini in my frontroom on my home network as 'media server' in lieu of the ATV. It is a more costly proposition then an AppleTV, true, but then, it will stream ANY THING I throw at it. And, being a full fledged computer as well, it will establish a direct connection to my Synology NAS's ( DS1513+ and DS213 ) over the LAN using Gigabit ethernet. I also have the iOS devices if I want to go that route.

I've tried to give creedence to the AppleTV but as long as they are going to maintain a strangle hold on what you can share in your home network based on whether or not you have iTunes installed, this is the only way for me to go. Besides, Synology also supports Plex media server. I am not going to fight AppleTV and increase my frustrations just because they will not allow one to access their home network resources as a matter of policy (not technology) in using an AppleTV, having to route every thing through iTunes, et e..

Attachments

• plex-media-server.JPG
    plex-media-server.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 230

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Just tried the latest versions of VideoStation and its companion iOS app - it all works rather well. You basically have to use your iPhone (or iPad) as a remote control. iOS app gives you a nice UI to navigate your library, select a video and launch playback to an Apple TV. After that, the iOS app can be closed and the playback can be controlled with a standard remote.

Perhaps not 100% as convenient as proper Home Sharing, but not that far off it really. I would say it's perfectly manageable way to run your ARM based NAS as a home media server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.