Desk Size and setup for iMac - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #51
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

The table I have is 32" deep by 58" wide. It's a kitchen dining table with the leaves fully extended. The 27" iMac sits 16" from the front edge and is nicely placed.
wgnoyes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:27 AM   #52
iamdavekennedy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfunkt View Post
Thank you Dave, well I think you have convinced me that 70cm depth is not too much and although it may not be huge, knowing that some people get away with much smaller desks makes me think this is the happiest medium I can probably find.

That's a very generous offer but I'm actually based in Cornwall at the moment so I can't take advantage of it unfortunately but thank you none the less.
No problem at all! Good luck finding your perfect desk!
iamdavekennedy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:21 AM   #53
highlights
macrumors newbie

If you want to be creative and cobble something together, I'll suggest a set of trestles from ikea and a door (from the habitat restore or other salvage place). They come in every imaginable size and are cheap and sturdy. That's how I made my desk for about $50 and it's the exact size I wanted. With metal trestles it's also quite sturdy.
highlights is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:58 PM   #54
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Go with the Galant. I have one (which I'll post a pic of my setup later) and couldn't be happier. Plenty of depth for the computer area and a lot of space left over for everything else.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...13/#/S69806816
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:55 PM   #55
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
I've come across this desk now which might fit the bill better. I'm starting to think a desk 75cm deep is too much and 60cm isn't enough so I'm looking for something in between but there isn't much I can find.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...124/#/80115988

What do you think?
The annoying thing is it's more than twice the price of the other two I was looking at not sure why.

(It also says "Holds up to a 19" monitor." not sure why it would say that, sure it can manage the 27" iMac.)
Funny you bring that up because I actually used to own that as well. It was my last desk before I got the Vika and its used at my parent's house now. But its a great exceptional desk. The reason why it's more expensive is it's metal under frame and much heavier table top. The Vika Amon table top is really light as its made up of that mashed up wood (not sure what it's called). The Fredrik table top just feels more sturdy overall. The metal frame has wide legs so its also more stable than the Vika and theres also a cable management area in the back so these are the reasons why I think it's more expensive.

I wish I had a picture of my Fredrik setup before but I never took a photo of it. Anyway, I'm kind of thinking of trading back with my parents again because I had equipped the fredrik with two under frame drawer units on both sides which also made it more functional for me. Thats another reason why the fredrik is more expensive too: it's more modular; you can expand it with drawer units that hang under the table top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50111128/). I think the Vika Amon can have shelving and drawer units too, but they serve double purposes as being the legs as well.

Quote:
Would you mind posting a pic of your desk setup to give us an idea or how it looks with the iMac on and what kind of space it takes up?
Sure, here's my current setup now. Sorry, my midi keyboard blocks the view of the iMac stand but this is why I had chose this desk (and prior to this, the fredrik), is because of the greater depth that allows me to use it in front of my iMac. Also as iMikeT above me suggests, the Galant will also be more than sufficient. It's actually larger than both the fredrik and Vika.

Last edited by Icaras; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:52 PM   #56
mikdog
macrumors member

Here's mine. Found this desk in a second-hand store. Works like a charm, and cheap. Have since replaced with Wacom Intuos with a wireless Intuos 5.

mikdog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:46 PM   #57
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Funny you bring that up because I actually used to own that as well. It was my last desk before I got the Vika and its used at my parent's house now. But its a great exceptional desk. The reason why it's more expensive is it's metal under frame and much heavier table top. The Vika Amon table top is really light as its made up of that mashed up wood (not sure what it's called). The Fredrik table top just feels more sturdy overall. The metal frame has wide legs so its also more stable than the Vika and theres also a cable management area in the back so these are the reasons why I think it's more expensive.

I wish I had a picture of my Fredrik setup before but I never took a photo of it. Anyway, I'm kind of thinking of trading back with my parents again because I had equipped the fredrik with two under frame drawer units on both sides which also made it more functional for me. Thats another reason why the fredrik is more expensive too: it's more modular; you can expand it with drawer units that hang under the table top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50111128/). I think the Vika Amon can have shelving and drawer units too, but they serve double purposes as being the legs as well.

Sure, here's my current setup now. Sorry, my midi keyboard blocks the view of the iMac stand but this is why I had chose this desk (and prior to this, the fredrik), is because of the greater depth that allows me to use it in front of my iMac. Also as iMikeT above me suggests, the Galant will also be more than sufficient. It's actually larger than both the fredrik and Vika.

That's great man thanks for posting up that pic.

It is the larger Vika Amon isn't it? Slight shame that they only have that table top in two colours but it does look nice in white and it'll go with my room so I think I'll go for that.

I can certainly see why you appreciate the depth especially and it looks a really nice clean setup and the desk looks neither too big or too small.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:18 PM   #58
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:

It is the larger Vika Amon isn't it? Slight shame that they only have that table top in two colours but it does look nice in white and it'll go with my room so I think I'll go for that.
Yep. 59" x 29.5". But there's an even larger one that is about 78" long, but only 23" wide.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:24 PM   #59
Mikey86uk
macrumors 6502

Your best bet is to, go to Ikea and walk round to the office section, as they have all the desks on there site setup with office chairs so you can judge for youself

i got myself a nice corner desk from Ikea today for my 27" iMac and im very happy.
Mikey86uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:41 AM   #60
unknownking123
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I can certainly see why you appreciate the depth especially and it looks a really nice clean setup and the desk looks neither too big or too small.
Did you decide on a desk in the end?

I've currently got a desk that's 60cm deep like this one and considering a 27" iMac. Just don't know whether I'll need a new desk as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdavekennedy View Post
http://oi46.tinypic.com/14ebfpl.jpg

Still need to stain the legs on the chair to match the desk but you get the idea!
Wow, that looks great!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac and if I find my current desk (60 cm deep) is too small, I might just decide to create my own. Is it fairly easy to securely attach Ikea legs to a piece of wood? - amateur at DIY
unknownking123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:58 AM   #61
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownking123 View Post
Did you decide on a desk in the end?

I've currently got a desk that's 60cm deep like this one and considering a 27" iMac. Just don't know whether I'll need a new desk as well.

----------

Wow, that looks great!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac and if I find my current desk (60 cm deep) is too small, I might just decide to create my own. Is it fairly easy to securely attach Ikea legs to a piece of wood? - amateur at DIY
I went for the Vika Amon that was 60cm by 150cm I believe.

But I won't know how suitable it is until my 27" iMac turns up.

Good thing is I can still use the legs (vika adils) for a larger Vika Amon table top if I decide it's not big enough, but I'm hoping 60cm depth is just enough.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:18 AM   #62
unknownking123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I went for the Vika Amon that was 60cm by 150cm I believe.

But I won't know how suitable it is until my 27" iMac turns up.

Good thing is I can still use the legs (vika adils) for a larger Vika Amon table top if I decide it's not big enough, but I'm hoping 60cm depth is just enough.
Nice choice and fingers crossed.

Likewise it's a shame Ikea don't offer more variety in sizes as I don't really want a 150cm long desk so I may have to create my own.
unknownking123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:32 AM   #63
kappaz
macrumors member

I like this

http://www.structube.com/en/catalogu...ategory_id=610
kappaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:46 AM   #64
talmy
macrumors 68040

The new 27" iMacs are thinner so you don't need as deep a desk.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:25 AM   #65
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

This is my current desk:

Ikea Micke

I did a few modifications to it. My wife has the smaller Micke desk. I took the wooden side panel from her's. So now my desk has two wooden sides and her's has two metal sides. The reason I did this was so that I could screw and glue two long pieces of wood to the bottom. Since I am 6'4" the desk needed to go up a few inches!

Just pretend that that old 2006 MacBook Pro is a 21.5" iMac:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1098 2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	380923  

Last edited by Johnf1285; Dec 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #66
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And is that comfortable for you or would you prefer the desk to be deeper and have more space? It sounds like a good size can I assume you got it from somewhere in America that isn't available in the UK, that would be typical.

Is that the 80cm deep one or the 60cm deep? One seems too big and the other seems possibly too small for the 27" iMac.
Could you please take a photo of our iMac on this desk? Want to get an idea for real world size
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #67
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
Could you please take a photo of our iMac on this desk? Want to get an idea for real world size
Well I can when it arrives but I've been given estimated dates of 28th December - January 4th.

Do you still want a photo or will that be too late?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:28 PM   #68
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well I can when it arrives but I've been given estimated dates of 28th December - January 4th.

Do you still want a photo or will that be too late?
Sorry I don't read things properly, but yeah it's never too late just cause I'm moving out of my current place next summer so looking at furniture for going back home / future place
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac