Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Is it worth buying Applecare for the iPhone 5 ? I'm in the UK, so we don't get Applecare+ . I'm thinking of getting Applecare and insurance... is that too much ?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

a iPhone can be a steep investment. To my knowledge, AppleCare is for problems with the hardware/software, reparations and so on. An insurance would cover loss and another kind of damage, I suppose. So for assurance for the investment, the more you can afford, the better, IMHO

:):apple:

Acari

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Insurance includes a monthly fee, and that lost or stolen claim carries a deductable with it. Here in the US, insurance through a carrier is $10/month for the length of your 2 year contract. $10x24months=$240+$200 deductable=$440 vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo. :apple:

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Insurance includes a monthly fee, and that lost or stolen claim carries a deductable with it. Here in the US, insurance through a carrier is $10/month for the length of your 2 year contract. $10x24months=$240+$200 deductable=$440 vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo. :apple:

Except A+ doesn't cover loss or theft like the $10/month carrier insurance does. A+ also has a deductible, although it's $49 rather than $199. For me, that makes it a head scratcher rather than a no brainer - unless you can see into the future and know you won't lose or have your iPhone stolen.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Do you have contents insurance for your home? With a decent provider? It's often cheap to add items you take out of your home - I'm covered for £2500 total, with £1000 per item and £50 excess. Covers loss, accidental damage and theft. Added about £40 to my annual quote, and obviously covers more than just an iPhone.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is it worth buying Applecare for the iPhone 5 ? I'm in the UK, so we don't get Applecare+ . I'm thinking of getting Applecare and insurance... is that too much ?

Call your home insurance first and ask them what is covered.

...vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo. :apple:[/FONT]

I think "Find my iPhone" is excellent when you lost your phone somewhere in your home, or at some friends place. If it is stolen, getting it back might prove tricky.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
My rule of thumb is to never insure a rapidly depreciating asset. The reason insurance of this type is so lucrative is that the seller knows from statistics that they will most likely not have to pay out. So if your homeowners or renters insurance covers your handset, great. If not, I wouldn't spring for extra insurance besides perhaps an Otterbox.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My rule of thumb is to never insure a rapidly depreciating asset. The reason insurance of this type is so lucrative is that the seller knows from statistics that they will most likely not have to pay out. So if your homeowners or renters insurance covers your handset, great. If not, I wouldn't spring for extra insurance besides perhaps an Otterbox.

I would add to this wisdom the rule of thumb to not insure items that you can readily afford to repair or replace on your own. Extended consumer product warranties and insurance policies are pushed heavily by manufacturers and retailers because they are very profitable.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
thanks for the advice.

I have heard with AppleCare the genius's in the sop are more likely to go further to help you . As in terms of them taking away a product to fix... ?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I would add to this wisdom the rule of thumb to not insure items that you can readily afford to repair or replace on your own. Extended consumer product warranties and insurance policies are pushed heavily by manufacturers and retailers because they are very profitable.

All excellent points. Apple Care for a $199 phone is a waste of money.

----------

thanks for the advice.

I have heard with AppleCare the genius's in the sop are more likely to go further to help you . As in terms of them taking away a product to fix... ?

Not correct. But it seems like you have already decided to get AppleCare and you are looking for people to talk you into it.

If you want it fine. And you'll find lots of stories on here about how AppleCare "saved" them. You don't hear about the countless number of people who bought AppleCare and never used it once so they wasted money.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
All excellent points. Apple Care for a $199 phone is a waste of money.

----------

Not correct. But it seems like you have already decided to get AppleCare and you are looking for people to talk you into it.

If you want it fine. And you'll find lots of stories on here about how AppleCare "saved" them. You don't hear about the countless number of people who bought AppleCare and never used it once so they wasted money.

Wrong , if I decided to but it, why would I create a post about it. The whole point of this thread is to find out whiter AppleCare without the "+" as we don't get that in the UK is worth it.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wrong , if I decided to but it, why would I create a post about it. The whole point of this thread is to find out whiter AppleCare without the "+" as we don't get that in the UK is worth it.

Fair enough. Then that is a subjective question. If you think the "peice of mind" is worth the price, then you should get it. But the likelyhood that something goes wrong with your phone outside of the 1 year warranty period is quite small.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Fair enough. Then that is a subjective question. If you think the "peice of mind" is worth the price, then you should get it. But the likelyhood that something goes wrong with your phone outside of the 1 year warranty period is quite small.

Hope I didn't sound to harsh, I do understand your point. Especially with the one year care Apple provides anyway.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I thought in the UK you are covered for 2 or 3 years by law. If that is the case what does Applecare offer that the law doesn't besides phone support?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I thought in the UK you are covered for 2 or 3 years by law. If that is the case what does Applecare offer that the law doesn't besides phone support?

You have statutory rights. After more than six months, it is up to you to prove that a device was defective when purchased. And if you bought any product for example from Comet, good luck with statutory rights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.