Fully Functional MAME Emulator Appears in App Store - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:34 PM   #76
bboyredcel
macrumors member

Has anyone tried loading NAOMI or CPS2/3 ROMS into this? Fighting games like Capcom Vs SNK Pro, Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2, Street Fighter 3, Street Fighter Alpha (ZERO)??

I tried loading Street Fighter 3 into iMAME when it came out, it wouldnt even recognize the game. Just wondering if anyone has attempted to load games more advanced than ms pacman or donkey kong into one if these... Thanks
bboyredcel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:38 PM   #77
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Technically, Pokemon is a Game Freak IP. It doesn't belong to Nintendo. Pokemon Rumble and an official (in Japan) Pokedex have both appeared on the iOS App Store, both made by Game Freak.

I don't expect any of Nintendo's own IPs (Mario, Zelda, etc) to come out on the App Store anytime soon, though.
Rolling with this, this could mean that non-Nintendo IP games that were licensed by Nintendo could be fair game, such as games Konami licensed to them (Gradius, Contra), Ikari Warriors, etc.

Heh.. it just occurred to me.. in the version of Ikari Warriors that came out on Nintendo, in some of the upper levels, we actually see the first occurrences of what would be a suicide bomber (bad guy walks up to you or the tank, flashes red, and blows himself up).. Crazy that we didn't think about it then, and that was 25 years ago.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #78
Caseynd
macrumors member

Talking i'm surprised

If I was the dev for i-MAME I would be very upset that my app got pulled while this one is still available
Caseynd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:10 PM   #79
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajani Isa View Post
The program is called "Gridlee" - showing up in the US iTunes store for me as of this posting.
thank you.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 AM   #80
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Rolling with this, this could mean that non-Nintendo IP games that were licensed by Nintendo could be fair game, such as games Konami licensed to them (Gradius, Contra), Ikari Warriors, etc.
Yeah, if they're not first-party developers, it's totally up to their discretion where to release their games. Konami released a Contra game in China in response to how much the game was being pirated. Nintendo could release something like Mario on the store if they wanted to, but most likely won't, since they have their own hardware to develop for.
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:46 AM   #81
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

It's just like iMAME but updated with a new software to run newer games. It's possible to play Super Mario Bros 1-3 on this. Which is great. I already downloaded the app. I'll probably add roms later. My iMAME has like 20 roms.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:17 AM   #82
starwa314
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Technically, Pokemon is a Game Freak IP. It doesn't belong to Nintendo.
That is incorrect. While the games are developed by Game Freak, the Pokemon franchise is owned by Nintendo.

Edit: In fact, the official Pokedex for iOS app wasn't developed by Game Freak. It was developed by Creatures Inc., which is a subsidiary of Nintendo. The app is listed under the Pokemon Company brand, owned by Nintendo.

Last edited by starwa314; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
starwa314 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:40 AM   #83
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

This is pretty cool. I cant get enough of Galaga.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:39 PM   #84
bboyredcel
macrumors member

Its saying that its missing chd files for marvel vs capcom, and sf3. Both are functional roms that i play all of the time so i guess CPS2 and CPS3 are not supported.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 PM   #85
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyredcel View Post
Its saying that its missing chd files for marvel vs capcom, and sf3. Both are functional roms that i play all of the time so i guess CPS2 and CPS3 are not supported.
CPS2 is definitely supported. I got Dungeons and Dragons running.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 PM   #86
bboyredcel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
CPS2 is definitely supported. I got Dungeons and Dragons running.
you're absolutely correct. my bad.

I have loaded a bunch of CPS-2 Games. Infact, i wonder why MVC1 doesnt work because XMvSF does, as does Vampire Savior 2 (Darkstalkers 3).

Screenshot

I cannot, however, get any CPS-3 games to run.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:49 AM   #87
Albright
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
If it's justified, it isn't theft. If it's theft, it isn't justified. The two terms must complement each other to make sense.
That said, the original purpose of copyright was to protect ownership for a few years - less time than it takes most "abandonware" to warrant the label.
Pirates justify their theft all the time (to themselves, at least). "Abandonware" is a perfect example. Who decides whether software is abandonware or not? Certainly not the parties who hold its publishing rights; it's the pirates. I doubt very many of them actually bother to get in touch with the publishers or any other relevant parties to ensure they actually never intend to continue to market or profit their product before they rip it off.
Albright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 PM   #88
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Pirates justify their theft all the time (to themselves, at least). "Abandonware" is a perfect example. Who decides whether software is abandonware or not? Certainly not the parties who hold its publishing rights; it's the pirates. I doubt very many of them actually bother to get in touch with the publishers or any other relevant parties to ensure they actually never intend to continue to market or profit their product before they rip it off.
And who decides what is "theft" ? The last time I checked even the laws on the books don't support YOUR use of the word "theft". Information falls under copyright law since things are copied, not stolen. True "pirating" also involves SELLING the information to make a profit off someone else's work, not just copying it, but that fact seems to have escaped the press over time as well. People like you like to throw words like "theft" around and in my opinion this only make yourself look ignorant of both the law and the concept.

Who gets to decide what copyright law is and how long it lasts? The last time I looked several large corporations like Disney have managed to lobby the thing into near infinity when it was only supposed to be used to protect a single person's ideas during their lifetime and only for things like books. Software was never included because it never existed.

Who decides now what is and is not a copyright violation? People in the pockets of these corporations? Yes, I think so or the laws would reflect their original intent. Copyrights ORIGINALLY lasted 14 years with the option of another 14 year renewal and then became public domain. Since 1978 after much lobbying, it is now the life of the author plus 70 years and shows no sign of ending there the way it's continually modified by lobbying of corporations that never die (i.e. early Disney should be public domain by now since it dates prior to 1978, but it's already been extended to 2023 for the earliest cartoons and it will never happen if Disney gets their way).

Current law also ignores both the scope and shelf life of computer technology. A book may be viable for hundreds of years but even it was limited to a time not much longer than the life of the author whereas software becomes ancient in much shorter periods of time and hence the reason old games devalue so quickly to the point where they are no longer even offered for sale because the cost to do so outweighs any sales they might make.

So please don't go around calling people thieves when you have no idea what you're talking about. People should be supported for their ideas and works, but there should also be reasonable limits on these works. Mickey Mouse should not be exempt just because a large corporation thinks it can make money on it until the end of time, for example.

Patent law is far more reasonable and ironically, it gets far more bad press due to all the insane software patents given out these days, something also never designed into the law and therefore able to be challenged in court. But by your thinking, almost every corporation on earth is guilty of theft since most of them have been accused of patent violations at some point including Apple.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:16 PM   #89
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Is there any cheaper alternative to iExplorer?
Their website says nothing about trial or how the trial is crippled...

EDIT: I read only pages 1 & 3, but on second page i-FunBox was mentioned several times...
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd

Last edited by toke lahti; Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion