Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vjay.png
Algoriddim has made its realtime video mixing app Vjay free for both the iPhone and iPad, presumably for a limited time. The apps are normally $9.99 and $2.99 for the iPad and iPhone respectively.

The app launched last June on the iPad and for the iPhone in November.
Mix and scratch your favorite music videos from iTunes or combine songs from your music library with personal video footage into an interactive audio visual experience. Or use your iPad's built-in camera to create your very own music video live. vjay lets you get creative with your content, display directly to a TV, stream wirelessly via Apple TV, or record your performances live to share on your favorite social channels.
In addition to the change in price, the latest software update for Vjay added a couple new features including 'Key-Lock' that allows users to change the tempo of audio and video without affecting pitch. However, Key-Lock only works on the iPad 4 and the iPhone 5.

Update: Vjay is Apple's 'Free App of the Week'.

Vjay is currently a free download for the iPad and iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Links: iPhone, iPad]

Article Link: Algoriddim Drops Price on Video Mashup App 'Vjay' to Free

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
If you use copyrighted music videos, and mix them and share them to say, YouTube, won't they be flagged automatically by a DMCA request?

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
As someone above me just said, it's this week's app of the week. It has the banner in the app card on the iPad now. It won't download yet - must still be changing over.

mroben

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Should be ok...

If you use copyrighted music videos, and mix them and share them to say, YouTube, won't they be flagged automatically by a DMCA request?

You should be fine as long as you don't try to monetize your video.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Wow i really get p'd off when all these app companies make their apps free right after i buy them! maybe algoriddim should make djay for ipad actually affordable

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
Wow i really get p'd off when all these app companies make their apps free right after i buy them! maybe algoriddim should make djay for ipad actually affordable

Oh yes. these companies should totally spend 1000's of hours making software and give it away for free!

Jeeze! can't they have a sale without you feeling entitled to having things thrown at you for free? If you were happy to pay $10 for it, then you shouldn't feel bad.

If you need DJay the $20 or $10 or whatever it is is peanuts to you. If you want it but can't afford it, well then, thems the breaks. As someone who owns both, they're very much worth the asking price (i mean in a world where most pro audio apps used to cost $10,000 i almost laugh when people can't break a $20).

These apps are what make iOS superior to andriod. Audiobus, DJay, looper, garageband, etc... These make the platform great. They cost money. Deal with it

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

The app isn't free. Apple is making it "App of the week" which means instead you paying for it, Apple is. After the week ends, it will go back to the price it was before.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
You should be fine as long as you don't try to monetize your video.

Yet another person who doesn't understand the copyright laws. Copyright means the 'right to copy' is set by the owner of the copyright. Fair use says you can make a back up copy to preserve your investment. Fair use allows for parody or to inform or teach, the latter is usually limited to excerpts and not the whole body of work.

In the case of vJay, you are looking at creating a derivative work, using bits and pieces to create a new work.

See this link:

http://www.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property-rights/copyrights/what-are-derivative-works-under

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
These apps are what make iOS superior to andriod. Audiobus, DJay, looper, garageband, etc... These make the platform great. They cost money. Deal with it

I agree with you 100%. You know what even for $20, if you are unwilling to pay for it, then you don't need it that bad. Would it be nice to play with? Sure, but I'm not willing to pay that (I have no real need for it). Thus if you think it's too high, find something else to use or, go to AppShopper.com and add it to your list for when it goes on sale, maybe then it would be at a price you'd like. (FYI, Audiobus and DJay are both $4.99 right now [-50% and -75%])

Just like games, if you're not willing to pay for them at the price they are asking, then you don't want to play it bad enough. Deal with it.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Thus if you think it's too high, find something else to use or, go to AppShopper.com and add it to your list for when it goes on sale, maybe then it would be at a price you'd like.

Although this saved me hundreds of bucks, if I really need an that bad I'd happily pay for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.