Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aweb15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hello everyone! I am sure my question has been answered before, so I do apologize in advance for anyone aggravated I ask again; I just want a clear explanation to my question.

I signed up for iTunes Match over Christmas. All 5000+ songs I have in my iTunes library were successfully uploaded to iCloud and I now stream all my music to my devices. My question is: can I delete my ENTIRE iTunes library from my HDD and then re-download them all via iCloud to have the maximum quality?

I want to do this because from what I understand...all my music will be stored in the cloud and I can free up sum 40 gigabytes off my hard drive.

Thank you!

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
Yes you can download to your device (iPad, iPhone) whatever albums/songs you want to listen to while away from wifi.

You can then later delete from device again should you choose to if you want to free up space.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You don't want your only copy of the music to be in the cloud. What I suggest you do is verify on another device each album you want to re download for higher quality.

After you've verified it has matched okay, then delete that album on your computer and redownload it.

If you have a good backup of your system, you can of course just revert to the backed up versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.