Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen1025

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
So right now, the townhouse I moved into down at JMU has this really awful analogue cable, despite having a wall-mounted 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma pre-installed, go figure.
Anyway, I've connected an Apple TV to it all year and it's been great for catching up on shows in HD via Netflix/Hulu Plus/YouTube, but live events have always been a problem and tomorrow's probably one of the biggest events of them all.
I'd love to find a way to watch CNN/MSNBC/NBC/ABC/CBS through my iPad/iPhone and AirPlay it to the Apple TV, in HD.
My parents have DirecTV, but I can't figure out their login (could be solved by asking them, obviously).
What do you guys think is the best solution here? Hopefuly it doesn't involve watching analogue SD cable all night..

(BTW the town's very rural and mountainous..about two hours outside of DC and an hour from Charlottesville, so OTA isn't really an option and I'm thinking my iPad holds the answer)

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
So right now, the townhouse I moved into down at JMU has this really awful analogue cable, despite having a wall-mounted 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma pre-installed, go figure.
Anyway, I've connected an Apple TV to it all year and it's been great for catching up on shows in HD via Netflix/Hulu Plus/YouTube, but live events have always been a problem and tomorrow's probably one of the biggest events of them all.
I'd love to find a way to watch CNN/MSNBC/NBC/ABC/CBS through my iPad/iPhone and AirPlay it to the Apple TV, in HD.
My parents have DirecTV, but I can't figure out their login (could be solved by asking them, obviously).
What do you guys think is the best solution here? Hopefuly it doesn't involve watching analogue SD cable all night..

(BTW the town's very rural and mountainous..about two hours outside of DC and an hour from Charlottesville, so OTA isn't really an option and I'm thinking my iPad holds the answer)

Best bet is probably to use your parent's DirecTV login to unlock the live stream on the CNN app, assuming it's an option alongside the other cable companies (and they haven't blocked AirPlay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.