Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello All !!

Again, new Mac user, which one should i use to manage my photos ???
i have iphoto , Lightroom and Aperture...what do i suggest ??

which one is best ? and and which way ??:confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please review this thread for LR vs. Aperture

Pick which one you like the best. There's no right or wrong answer, but rather personal preference.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
iPhoto and Aperture are a better choice if you're heavily invested in the Mac ecosystem (i.e. have an iPad/iPhone). LR does a better job at "developing" images.

FWIW, it seems that a new version of Aperture is on the horizon. A couple of "Aperture evangelists" have hinted at it, with one indicating he has a book in the works (but can't reveal anything beyond that due to a NDA)

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
When I was in a similar position to you I tried all the photo apps I could find and just confused myself. I spent more time playing with different apps than I did in enjoying my images,

All the apps have supporters and detractors. So my advice is pick one and learn to use it, do not flit from one to another. As to which one is best? If you are new to this then pick one that friends use so you may draw on their expertise and experience. Having said that, I would skip iPhoto and pick from Aperture or Lightroom.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree that the choice should be between LR and Aperture. I own both. I started... and continued with Aperture. I love it. I like the integration with the rest of Mac OSX.

If you are going to really actively use dual platform (PC and Mac)... the LR is the obvious answer. However, few people will actually use both platforms and choose either PC or Mac for their photo libraries even if they own both (most will chose Mac).

Do not try to get into a feature for feature comparison between the two. Anyone can "cook the books" to make either one of them look best.

If needed... flip a coin and get on with enjoying your photos.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.