Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

How do I use handbrake to convert .avi to .mp4

Hey,

I'm trying to get .avi files converted to .mp4 files so I can store them on iTunes and ultimately on my iPad.

I downloaded Handbrake because a lot of people here recommended it.. but I don't really know how to use it. I also downloaded VLC media player because for some reason I heard that I would need it, but don't know what to do with it.

I selected a destination for the files (my desktop). Basically what I do is click the source tab, then I click the .avi file I want to convert, then I press the start button...

After that, it loads up, and about 20 seconds later it reads that it has finished encoding, I open the .mp4 file on my desktop and for some reason, the video is only a couple seconds long...

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone run my by step by step how to successfully convert? I tried YouTube tutorials, but none of them are helpful since I use Windows, plus they never explain it well enough.

Any help is good help! Thanks.
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Martylaa
macrumors member

I will be interested in this as I will be doing this soon.
Martylaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Anyone?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 AM   #4
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

You don't need to convert them. Just get an app like Cinexplayer and you can load the AVI files directly onto the ipad via the apps page in itunes when your ipad or iphone is plugged in.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
Open source (the avi file, often there is a 'sample' in downloaded movies do not select that one off course)
Select destination
Press start

It's easy as that, don't know what goes wrong on your computer.
Corax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone run my by step by step how to successfully convert? I tried YouTube tutorials, but none of them are helpful since I use Windows, plus they never explain it well enough.
That's all there is to it.

Are you using any of the presets?

What codec does the original AVI use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Anyone?
http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
Quote:
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

I have to repeat...

You don't need to convert.

Players like Cinex are superior to the apple video player.

It also saves you valuable time. Sure you can't have the movies in your itunes collection but it's not that difficult to keep them in a folder on you computer.

I was doing crazy amounts of converting before I found AVplayer HD and Cinex. It changed everything.

It's crazy to convert when you don't need to. These players only cost a couple of bucks. How much is 2 bucks compared to all the time you'll save?

In saying all that, if you still must do it the hard way, follow what Corax says as there are the rare AVIs that are stubborn and won't play.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8
EvelynW
Banned

First import the video you want to convert to Handbrake on your windows computer, select the output format namely MP4 and then start to convert.
Besides handbrake, I also used macx video convertor free edition, similar to the steps above. both are useful.
EvelynW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:35 AM   #9
cukong
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynW View Post
First import the video you want to convert, select the output format namely MP4 and then start to convert avi to mp4.
Besides, I also used video converter to download the youtube videos and editor the videos, Here is the guide to convert the videos and download the online videos, both are useful.
As i used the IPad, i can watch the mp4 files in it and i always convert dvd or movies to the ipad mp4 quickly by using the apps, it is good size to match the ipad. And it is fast and save me time!!!

Last edited by cukong; Jul 14, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
cukong is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
.avi, .mp4, handbrake, ipad