Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:39 PM   #26
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

You posted so it is an issue from your perspective. If it wasn't you would not have brought it up.

Return it.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:10 PM   #27
wick001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
I have no problem with people wanting a pretty ipad, but I think it's hilarious this kind of thinking is prevalent now. Nobody takes a magnifying glass to buy a car for example. It's better to just say you expect perfection at all price levels.
I’m sorry, but if I was purchasing a $99.00 “Coby”, “Insignia”, or some other no-name electronic device, yes my expectations would be a lot lower and I wouldn’t have cared. You are paying a premium for a premium product and I expect that product to be in 100% like new condition, anything less is unacceptable. Also to answer your question, YES, you can bet your left nut if I’m paying 30k+ for a new car everything inch of it better be like a freshly powdered baby’s ass.

I’m reminded of a time I test drove a 2010 fully loaded used Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. Black on black leather, every option, it looked amazing and had only 5,000 miles on it. While I wasn’t “expecting” it to be like new, I went over it with a fine toothed comb and couldn’t find one defect. I gave the salesman all of my information, deposit, all the paperwork was filled out, and right before I signed the paperwork, I said, oh yeah, let me see the CarFax. It had been in 2 moderate damage accidents in only 5,000 miles and I immediately said give me my deposit back and I’m out. He would not let me leave trying to explain how the truck is perfectly fine, and what happens when a new vehicle gets in an accident? You just throw it away? I looked him square in the face and said, You know what? It might perfectly fine for someone else who is ignorant or doesn’t care about the fact it’s been in 2 accidents, however I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and I know damn well I will never be able to sell it with this carfax history. I walked out with my deposit, everyone in the dealership looking at me, all while I had a big smile on my face.

It’s all about your expectations. Mine are high. Oh, and I just exchanged the iPad with no questions asked. I specifically asked to see the manager so I could show him the chip, he said yes that is unacceptable, I am sorry about that, here is a new one.

Don’t settle.
wick001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:19 PM   #28
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Omg how many threads "my new iPad has an invisible scuff I am the only one who can see but I paid $600 and must be perfect" like this we are going to see in this forum ?!?

If it wasn't for the title of you post, it is very difficult to find a defect in your photos. It's less than cosmetic ...
Nokia Lumia 925
Max(IT) is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:23 PM   #29
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
Omg how many threads "my new iPad has an invisible scuff I am the only one who can see but I paid $600 and must be perfect" like this we are going to see in this forum ?!?

If it wasn't for the title of you post, it is very difficult to find a defect in your photos. It's less than cosmetic ...
I do kind of agree with this. Why start a "should I return this?" thread for damage. What bothers you will not bother someone else. I could understand if it was a software bug or manufacturing defect that may be affecting everyone or a large majority. You knew it was something not normal, and it either bugs you or you can get past it. Only you will know...
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:33 PM   #30
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick001 View Post
I’m sorry, but if I was purchasing a $99.00 “Coby”, “Insignia”, or some other no-name electronic device, yes my expectations would be a lot lower and I wouldn’t have cared. You are paying a premium for a premium product and I expect that product to be in 100% like new condition, anything less is unacceptable. Also to answer your question, YES, you can bet your left nut if I’m paying 30k+ for a new car everything inch of it better be like a freshly powdered baby’s ass.

I’m reminded of a time I test drove a 2010 fully loaded used Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. Black on black leather, every option, it looked amazing and had only 5,000 miles on it. While I wasn’t “expecting” it to be like new, I went over it with a fine toothed comb and couldn’t find one defect. I gave the salesman all of my information, deposit, all the paperwork was filled out, and right before I signed the paperwork, I said, oh yeah, let me see the CarFax. It had been in 2 moderate damage accidents in only 5,000 miles and I immediately said give me my deposit back and I’m out. He would not let me leave trying to explain how the truck is perfectly fine, and what happens when a new vehicle gets in an accident? You just throw it away? I looked him square in the face and said, You know what? It might perfectly fine for someone else who is ignorant or doesn’t care about the fact it’s been in 2 accidents, however I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and I know damn well I will never be able to sell it with this carfax history. I walked out with my deposit, everyone in the dealership looking at me, all while I had a big smile on my face.

It’s all about your expectations. Mine are high. Oh, and I just exchanged the iPad with no questions asked. I specifically asked to see the manager so I could show him the chip, he said yes that is unacceptable, I am sorry about that, here is a new one.

Don’t settle.
Apple management is trained not to argue with customers most of the time. So the management does that just because thats what Apple does. To be honest he probably went in the back room and laughed about it.

I worked at Apple a few years ago and dealt with this nonsense all the time.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:49 PM   #31
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
You are certainly entitled, but it doesn't seem worth the time to me. I'd just put my own scuff on it within 3 days, so why bother going to the store?

If you have nothing to do or if you are some sort of perfectionist who can keep your iPad looking perfect 3 years from now, then I suppose it would be worth the time.

Also keep in mind stores are tracking return information in order to crack down on serial returners.

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/19/fi...ned-purchases/
Serial returners? That's a crock. If Apple payed Foxconn a little more to build their products properly maybe there wouldn't be so many "serial returners."

So long as these sweatshops in Asia continue to build shoddy products for pennies, there will be people like me who return cosmetically defective products. I expect a quality, defect free product out of the box.
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:55 PM   #32
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
Serial returners? That's a crock. If Apple payed Foxconn a little more to build their products properly maybe there wouldn't be so many "serial returners."

So long as these sweatshops in Asia continue to build shoddy products for pennies, there will be people like me who return cosmetically defective products. I expect a quality, defect free product out of the box.
Obviously you don't know the full situation in building these products. Money is not the total issue. Demand is very high so no matter how much you pay, the amount of product that needs to be pushed out keeps climbing, inevitably causing some QC issues. Also products like the new iPhone 5 require a lot higher precision that other products. Foxconn has already admitted that the phones are more tedious to build than ever.
jonnyb098 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #33
RenoG
macrumors 6502a

Your already 'that guy' so embrace it-work it. Go in tell them that the blemish is unacceptable and due to the price paid you wish to exchange.

Or

Slap a case on, and carry on with life and be happy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Obviously you don't know the full situation in building these products. Money is not the total issue. Demand is very high so no matter how much you pay, the amount of product that needs to be pushed out keeps climbing, inevitably causing some QC issues. Also products like the new iPhone 5 require a lot higher precision that other products. Foxconn has already admitted that the phones are more tedious to build than ever.
In other words its best to simply be patient and wait until the all the hype has died and all stores have stock sitting on shelves.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #34
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I agree with you. Nevertheless, the system exists and I think people should be aware of it.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:34 PM   #35
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick001 View Post

Don’t settle.
if that is how you supposedly are...why did you create a thread asking people's opinion?

Also, it's a USED car....plenty else could have been wrong even if she showed you a clean carfax. did you have them jack up the car and u lay underneath with a microscope to check for any issues?

I don't understand why people can't decisions for themselves anymore. They look for opinions and when people voice it....they all the sudden have to get angry and defend the decision. Enjoy your supposed brand new "used" cars without one tiny imperfection on them.

----------

Quote:

go back and read the OP....this was now his 5th return in a week and a half.....

Bestbuy tracks you and asks you for a driver's license each time. what was wrong with the 1st iPad he bought?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad