Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
No, I migrating the whole smear

It sounds like you had an old backup that you migrated from.

My first backups in TM were empty on the Desktop file until I redid the migration and saved right away. It still happens, but now I have backups. Mail is a different story, all the mailboxes gone. Seems to me I restored mailboxes and their contents some time in 10.6. Yes, I still have the files on the old computer, TC saves in Mail. I wonder how I did it. The mailboxes are mostly gone and what is left are empty. Tomorrow I'll fool around with that. The Desktop is a time consuming nuisance. Today it merely rearranged the items in grids. I arrange them by categories along the top and down the right side. Appreciate any help.

2012 21 iMac 2.9 GHz

Last edited:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I just migrated to a new 21.5 from an early 2006 iMac running 10.6.8, updated my apps, like DragThing. I had my dock filled with what I want, dumped what I don't use, and my DragThing all set up.

I was prompted to upgrade to 10.8.2 and did so. The upgrade wiped out my settings for DragThing, forcing me to start from scratch. All my Mail mailboxes were erased, along with years of data I rely on for registration, receipts, and other important reference data. The Dock was wiped of all my things (like DragThing). All of the things I had deleted were back. I have enough to do to ready my new computer without set-backs like this. Apple's upgrade in fact was for me a downgrade.

I found that Safari's fonts and font sizes cannot be changed. That's a serious blow to my having access to Safari's use because of my eyesight. Having it read would be worse because of my hearing. Zooming the fonts doesn't help because of their complex structure. Is this an example of Apple's trying to make it more like iOS?

note taken..thx.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Nvidia 320M

I am so disappointed in Apple about their handling of Nvidia 320M, this is on a Macbook Pro 13" mid 2010. The animations get choppy as heck just after a few hours of usage, such as changing desktop animation. I tried the same thing on the Macbook Pro 13" 2009 (Nvidia 9400M), but it stays smooth. To make matters worse, I experience enormous amounts of memory leak in the form of inactive memory, which never clears unless I restart. I have done clean installations of OS X 10.8.2.

Some say they resort to this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmoWoeNrkOs to achieve smoothness.

But this shouldn't be happening to a computer like Mac where the weaker one outperforms the stronger one . What are your guys thoughts? Have you had similar issues with 320M?

Any developers reading this post, please notify Apple about these "bugs" concerning Nvidia 320M. Would extremely appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.