Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I have returned two iMac because of chips or scuffs on the side. My third iMac has a scratch on the back as big as a thumbnail. Is this normal? The apple store said some minor nicks or scratches pass inspection and are normal. Am I looking at the iMacs body to closely? Would you keep an iMac with a minor scratch on the body? Please give me your opinion on what to do ?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
A minor scratch on the back of a computer is not a huge deal for me. But I would feel differently about buying a new car with a scratch on it.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
If I could not see the scratch by using the computer normally and would have to go out of my way to look at it then I would not return it, unless its a deep big scratch, but honestly if my iMac has a scratch on the back and I couldn't notice it by just glancing by I would call it "normal", of course you can demand they give you a perfect one but with these things being mass produced that's pretty hard. I would divert my attention to the quality of the display check that thoroughly.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I just keep thinking this is my first iMac and I paid almost three thousand for it, I want a perfect one with no scratches.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I just keep thinking this is my first iMac and I paid almost three thousand for it, I want a perfect one with no scratches.

I understand your thoughts, but even at that price, it is a mass produced computer and will never be totally flawless (nothing is). How deep is the scratch - can you post a close up pic? If its not a very deep scratch, and if its on the back, I don't think its worth returning. Its only cosmetic, after all, and presumably you bought the computer primarily for its functionality. Also, with all the ports placed where they are on the back, I'm betting most people will have small scratches soon from missing the USB ports etc.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I would want perfection at $3000...that being said,if the monitor was near perfect i might except a small mark just to keep Imac with a good monitor/internals (fans ect)

But my ocd would still probably take it back...

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Mate you might change it but the next one might come in with a dead pixel right in the centere of your screen or with the yellow cast.

I would not be that fasten about a not noticeable scratch on the back to be honest... Then it is your call!

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I really don't understand why the hell these Late-2012 iMacs are having such cosmetic issues, when all of the other years never really seemed to have that problem. It makes me think that Apple either has the people building them rushing their asses off, and sacrificing QC for production. I have never received a computer with any kind of cosmetic damage.

At the same time, if the display was perfect, with no yellow tint, backlight bleed or image retention, I would probably just keep the one with the scratch, if the scratch is on the back of the computer. BUT, at the same time, you have to figure that this little scratch, while it may not be as big of a deal to some people, considering supply and demand and all the other problems. A year from now when all this is said and done, when you go to resell the iMac, those minor imperfections are DEFINITELY going to affect sales and the price people will pay. They wont be willing to just "accept" some minor cosmetic problems, because they aren't dealing with what we are dealing with right now. Therefor, they'll just find someone else selling theirs, which is perfect.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

You deserve perfection. Take full advantage of the return policy and warranty. If we were all to just sit back and say, "oh it's fine, a few scratches is acceptable" next thing we know quality control continues to go down the crapper and the consumer gets stiffed. There's reasons for a return policy and warranty, it's to protect us the consumer. Use them both to the max! ;)

Perk10

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
SW FL
I, too am frustrated

I just bought a 21.5 "base model" iMac and it looks almost as though it has previously been returned.

The back of the casing has "stains" or dark spots where it looks like it has been rubbed on something. Also, the corners where the styrofoam touches the comp when in the box are marred a little bit.

Also, let me ask this - are the "Apples" on the front and back of the iMac covered with square plastic that peels off when you unbox it? I unboxed my Mac, and although the Apples are not scratched themselves, there is another "stained" area making a perfect square around both of them on the front and back. I never removed any plastic from these, however the computer WAS wrapped heavily before unboxing.

At first glance I thought this was just normal, and with a slightly dampened rag with water, would just come off. Well, that's not the case. I've had the computer for about 2 weeks and am considering replacing it but I have already put ALL of my stuff on this one. I am not happy. The SCREEN is 100% fine, so fwiw everything "works" just fine. I am mildly OCD though, and there is no law or policy against this.

What do you guys have to say about this?

edit- it also appears that the drives in the ports in the back (USB, etc.) were once covered by a square plastic protector. I can tell because there seems to be a residue from the protectant that was once there and has been peeled off. I DID NOT peel this off, though. Does this mean it comes like this from the factory, or did I buy a returned, rewrapped computer that did not get "re-stickered"?

Last edited:

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I returned two 21.5 base iMacs due to faulty screens (yellow tint,backlight bleed issues)
My second replacement had a couple of minor scratches on the back and a tiny scratch on left of screen that can only be seen if I'm looking for it. But it is a keeper as the screen is fine!
My advice would be to keep it. As you could end up with a dodgy screen, and you will soon forget about the marks on back!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks anyone else have an opinions. I didn't realize others were having issues too

No marks on mine. Although that said I can't see the back, so if it did have a mark there but was otherwise perfect (which it was), I might have just kept it. Otherwise it would have gone straight back. I went for a BTO option though so not sure if that makes any difference.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I understand your thoughts, but even at that price, it is a mass produced computer and will never be totally flawless (nothing is). How deep is the scratch - can you post a close up pic? If its not a very deep scratch, and if its on the back, I don't think its worth returning. Its only cosmetic, after all, and presumably you bought the computer primarily for its functionality. Also, with all the ports placed where they are on the back, I'm betting most people will have small scratches soon from missing the USB ports etc.

Disagree with this. Consumers should demand perfection, especially from a $3k product.

----------

Thanks anyone else have an opinions. I didn't realize others were having issues too

I received my iMac 27 a month ago, no issues front, back, side, screen, logos, nothing.

Last edited:

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I returned two 21.5 base iMacs due to faulty screens (yellow tint,backlight bleed issues)
My second replacement had a couple of minor scratches on the back and a tiny scratch on left of screen that can only be seen if I'm looking for it. But it is a keeper as the screen is fine!
My advice would be to keep it. As you could end up with a dodgy screen, and you will soon forget about the marks on back!!

I agree. My new iMac 27 had minor marks on the side and Apple agreed to replace it. The replacement had worse marks and was replaced again. The next replacement was mark-free, but had a massively loud fan compared to the other two!

I ended up keeping the first iMac as the marks do not have any affect on day to day use but the fan noise on the other one would have really annoyed me.

I do agree with the people who say that a top end machine like this should be totally flawless for the amount of money paid, but the fact is a lot of them are not and it is a lot of hassle to keep arranging replacements that may well be worse than the original!

As long as the defect does not affect the use, you will more than likely forget about it once the machine loses it's 'newness' factor anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.