Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 11, 2013, 01:23 AM   #1
appletoandroid
macrumors member

Benefits of a larger iPhone

Samsung is currently makes the total package. The best blend of screen size, power, and performance. And this is why Apple should follow suit.

Thinking about the size of the phone alone is short sighted. If Apple had a bigger phone, they could fit a bigger battery. This alone has tons of beneficial effects on user experience. For one, it would be their foray into 1080p displays. Let's be honest, there is no reason for a measly 4" phone to have a high def display. And without one they will be left behind the major competitors.

Then when you factor in Apple finally releasing high quality internals (like a quad core CPU and more powerful GPU) it makes you wonder why they don't just admit their fault and build a larger iPhone.

Honestly, the battery is indirectly the biggest reason why iPhone lags behind Android in every way.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:03 AM   #2
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

I would love nothing more than a phone in the style of the 5, with a wider screen.

You'll hear everyone say that you can't use it with one hand, or that it will mess up aspect ratios (even tho the 5 already did), blah blah.

I want iOS on a larger screen with phone capabilities. I hate the android experience (just tried the s4 and hate it), but damn they have some beautiful screens.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:32 AM   #3
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

You really needed to start another thread on this? The multitude of threads already discussing this wasn't enough?

Really? Seriously?

Last edited by itsmemuffins; May 11, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typo
itsmemuffins is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:15 AM   #4
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

IMO the benefits of larger screen aren't that big. Take browsing for instance. Either a site is optimised for mobile devices anyway, which makes a large screen redundant, or it's not, and you'll end up panning and zooming around the site anyway, and it hardly makes a difference whether your screen is 3.5,4 or 4.7 inches. I used to have a nexus 4 and that was my experience. I've also tried a friend's iPhone 5 and didn't found it to be a major difference whether you navigate a site on a 3.5 or 4" display, so I've stuck with my iPhone 4.

Granted, if you're a person that wants to look videos on their smartphone, there's no denying it's a lot more fun on a large screen. But I'm not that kind of a person.

Edit: besides, a benefit of a smaller screen/device is it fits much better into your pocket. The one-hand-argument isn't valid for me though. I hardly ever use even my 4 one handed if I can use two hands to do things like typing much faster.

Last edited by inselstudent; May 11, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
inselstudent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by appletoandroid View Post
Samsung is currently makes the total package. The best blend of screen size, power, and performance. And this is why Apple should follow suit.

Thinking about the size of the phone alone is short sighted. If Apple had a bigger phone, they could fit a bigger battery. This alone has tons of beneficial effects on user experience. For one, it would be their foray into 1080p displays. Let's be honest, there is no reason for a measly 4" phone to have a high def display. And without one they will be left behind the major competitors.

Then when you factor in Apple finally releasing high quality internals (like a quad core CPU and more powerful GPU) it makes you wonder why they don't just admit their fault and build a larger iPhone.

Honestly, the battery is indirectly the biggest reason why iPhone lags behind Android in every way.
We really dont need any more threads on this, you could have just posted on the million other ones we have already.

I love the 4" size but if it will help apples stock price than i say go for it. I only have 1 share lol but its something.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Is it me spammers and trolls getting Moyer creative in posting?
osofast240sx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Yes, yes, for the upteemth ime, if Apple doesn't make a larger phone, it's doomed. DOOMED!
Old May 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Applefan4
macrumors member

There are no benefits.
Applefan4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

this dude should really go out more and experience a bit of life.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:21 PM   #10
ImpKali
macrumors member

Hate the size of my Galaxy S3. I thought I'd love it to death, but the bigger screen size makes it uncomfortable to hold, especially with the case on it. As I have stressed in other threads, we do not all have the hands of Shaquille O'Neal, and some of us want a device we can just hold and/or fit in our pockets. I don't care if Android's making it hip, 4" is the size limit for me.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:14 AM   #11
laurihoefs
macrumors 6502

The smaller size was one of the main reasons why I chose iPhone5 over Lumia 920 and Galaxy S3, the other reasons being sound quality with good headphones and iCloud.

I actually think I should have gone with iPhone 4S instead of the 5, as the 4" screen is on the border of being unconfortable to use. But I chose the 5 as it's aspect ratio was more useful.

Last edited by laurihoefs; May 13, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
laurihoefs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:12 AM   #12
theluggage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
Take browsing for instance. Either a site is optimised for mobile devices anyway, which makes a large screen redundant, or it's not, and you'll end up panning and zooming around the site anyway
On something like a Galaxy Note II, 'full size' websites, generally work fine with the phone held in landscape mode. On sites like the MacRumors front page you can double-tap and it will automatically zoom so that the main text column fills the screen. There's a menu option on Android that lets you choose between the desktop version and mobile versions of a site. Lots of sites aren't mobile optimised, sometimes the mobile version is dumbed down.

The larger screen is also great for in-car GPS use - much clearer than an iPhone-sized screen.

It also makes a great e-reader - esp. for the odd half-hour in the waiting room or on a train where you don't always want to cart around a Kindle.

Then there is taking and viewing photos.

It all depends on the pattern of use: if you primarily use it for voice calls and shrt txts then the iPhone 5 size makes sense. If, however, like me, you use it mainly for web, email, maps and only the occasional 'emergency' voice call then large screens are attractive.

The problem with Apple is that they don't offer a choice of sizes - yet practically every other product they make comes in two or more form factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemuffins View Post
You really needed to start another thread on this? The multitude of threads already discussing this wasn't enough?

Really? Seriously?
Yet you replied to it and bumped it up the list? Seriously?

Hang on - I just replied to you! What was I thinking?
Proof that the Internet eats your brainsss...
theluggage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:31 AM   #13
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

All those beautiful specs in android devices and they still Ss-tt-u-tt-e-rr when scrolling.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:41 AM   #14
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post
On something like a Galaxy Note II, 'full size' websites, generally work fine with the phone held in landscape mode. On sites like the MacRumors front page you can double-tap and it will automatically zoom so that the main text column fills the screen. There's a menu option on Android that lets you choose between the desktop version and mobile versions of a site. Lots of sites aren't mobile optimised, sometimes the mobile version is dumbed down.

The larger screen is also great for in-car GPS use - much clearer than an iPhone-sized screen.

It also makes a great e-reader - esp. for the odd half-hour in the waiting room or on a train where you don't always want to cart around a Kindle.

Then there is taking and viewing photos.

It all depends on the pattern of use: if you primarily use it for voice calls and shrt txts then the iPhone 5 size makes sense. If, however, like me, you use it mainly for web, email, maps and only the occasional 'emergency' voice call then large screens are attractive.

The problem with Apple is that they don't offer a choice of sizes - yet practically every other product they make comes in two or more form factors.

You should rely on the voice part of the GPS
osofast240sx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post

I won't dignify that response with a reply.

Oh wait...
itsmemuffins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:49 PM   #16
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:

Thinking about the size of the phone alone is short sighted.
Designing a mass produced product based solely on your preferences is short sighted. Stating that one company needs to duplicate another's success is short sighted.

Keep in mind that best is always subjective. You (and others) may find that Samsung has the "best blend" but that doesn't mean that the majority does. Don't just assume that you represent the masses.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #17
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
You know, I'm the first person to say I want a larger (wider) screen, but this last statement of yours makes no sense to me. Battery size could be one reason that the iPhone would be inferior to the competition, not EVERY reason.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone