Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizzafordinna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I'm using Itunes version 11.0.3 and I opened it up one morning and all of the 'star' ratings that I had set as well as my 'date added' information was all deleted. This is really frustrating because I had rated over 2000 songs. I have everything on my ipod (classic) still. Is there a way to pull the information from the ipod onto the computer? Any ideas are welcome.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm using Itunes version 11.0.3 and I opened it up one morning and all of the 'star' ratings that I had set as well as my 'date added' information was all deleted. This is really frustrating because I had rated over 2000 songs. I have everything on my ipod (classic) still. Is there a way to pull the information from the ipod onto the computer? Any ideas are welcome.

1. If you don't have a backup, then _run_ to the nearest store that sells external drives, attach it to your Mac, set up TimeMachine, and backup your computer.

2. If you have TimeMachine, you can copy "iTunes Music Library.xml" and so on from the backup to your Mac (everything except the iTunes Media folder).

3. What exactly means "deleted"? Could you have just turned these off in "View Options"? (Command-J)

4. I don't think iTunes would normally copy that information from the iPod. If you are patient you _could_ try this: iTunes copies the playcount from the iPod, if it is changed. _Maybe_ it copies the other information at the same time. So set your iPod to play all your music (should be done in a week, and you don't have to listen to it), and then plug it into iTunes. If you try that don't plug the iPod in before each song is played once, otherwise iTunes might copy the non-existing ratings to the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.