Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
So, I've got my Apple TV3 and it's working quite fine. The only problem until now is that when I create an adhoc WiFi network with my MacBook the Apple TV can't see this network to connect to it. I mean, the adhoc network doesn't show up in the WiFi list on Apple TV. The device is up to date.

So, can anyone confirm if it's possible to connect an Apple TV 3 directly to a MacBook using just an adhoc network? Does my device has a problem?

TIA,

M.

luckyluckyjim

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Known Problem.

There is a known problem on some 3s.
There is not a recall but if you go to an Apple Store they should replace your ATV.
They will run the serial number.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can check the s/n yourself to see if it might be related to the known issue:

The serial numbers of potentially affected devices have these characters in the fourth and fifth positions: H9, HC, HD, HF, HG, HH, HJ, HK, HL, HM, HN, HP, HQ, HR, HT, HV, HW, HX, J1, J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7, J8, and J9. The last four letters of the serial number must be DRHN​

I presume it connects to other wifi networks without problems? If so might be a config issue with your ad-hoc network. Are other devices (e.g. an iPhone) able to join your ad-hoc network OK?

danmantmd

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
to this point point I've been told an ATV would not recognize an ad-hoc network. I work at NASA and need to be able to connect a MBP to a smart tv using ATV but no Enterprise networks. Bugs not withstanding, is that possible? I'm not able to connect the ATV to the NASA Wifi (Cisco issues) and as strange as it seems, I am apparently the only person on the planet that needs to make a MBP to ATV connection work through ad-hoc. Is this as impossible as I've been told? What an untapped market....

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
to this point point I've been told an ATV would not recognize an ad-hoc network. I work at NASA and need to be able to connect a MBP to a smart tv using ATV but no Enterprise networks. Bugs not withstanding, is that possible? I'm not able to connect the ATV to the NASA Wifi (Cisco issues) and as strange as it seems, I am apparently the only person on the planet that needs to make a MBP to ATV connection work through ad-hoc. Is this as impossible as I've been told? What an untapped market....

You need to purchase an Airport Express and create a separate WiFi network, not connected to the enterprise network. I work at a university and this is how we connect iPads to the classroom projectors. We have a box that contains an Apple TV and an Airport Express which anyone can checkout. The Airport Express just needs to be plugged into the power supply and creates a temporary self-contained WiFi network. When the Apple TV is plugged to the power supply it attaches to this network automatically and can be connected to the projector (or TV in your case). The iPad (or MBP in your case) will then connect to this WiFi network and everything works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.