Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I had a Dustbuster for years and loved it--then battery would only hold a small charge.

So about a year ago I went on Amazon and a Dirt Devil got great reviews so I ordered it. I hated it--had to use all of my force to remove it from the charging station and it almost had to be held vertically to pickup anything. Pros--long lasting battery and powerful.

Any way the other day while trying to remove it from the base station the station broke so I am in the market again, but I have my doubts lately about Amazon reviews, not just with this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Anything with batteries will eventually have battery failure. This is in the nature of the batteries, and there's not much you can do about it. Replacement batteries may well cost as much as a new unit, if replacements are available at all.

So consider how you use it, and whether a corded unit that plugs into AC power might be a better choice.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I use the Shark. Have had it for about six years. The piece that holds on the collection tube finally broke, so we bought another unit and use it and keep the other parts as spare. No complaints.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I had a Dustbuster for years and loved it--then battery would only hold a small charge.

So about a year ago I went on Amazon and a Dirt Devil got great reviews so I ordered it. I hated it--had to use all of my force to remove it from the charging station and it almost had to be held vertically to pickup anything. Pros--long lasting battery and powerful.

Any way the other day while trying to remove it from the base station the station broke so I am in the market again, but I have my doubts lately about Amazon reviews, not just with this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I have two different types, a plug-in Shark and a battery Ryobi. Both are great.

The Shark is an actual vacuum with the roller thing and a hose which can be pulled off to get into small corners. It picks up everything. But it is LOUD and gets very hot. It picks up enough that if I don't clean it top to bottom frequently, it gets mucked up inside and will overheat. Still a great little vacuum.

The Ryobi one was part of a set of battery-operated tools, so they all use the same battery. It's about the size of a Dust Buster. It picks up normal stuff pretty good. But when I put on the detail attachment, I swear that think could suck the red off a brick.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
In your quest for a quality hand held unit for vacuum type duties, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Fleshlight range of products.

KGB:D

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
While pricey, the Dyson Handheld is BY FAR the best vacuum I've ever had. The battery lasts around 20 minutes and it is the only drawback besides price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.