Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 13, 2014, 06:31 AM   #2376
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

What do you guys think of this pairing?

I know Speck gets a lot of crap, but I'm inclined to give them a shot seeing as one of their older shell cases did a decent job protecting my old Pro. Regular cleaning meant debris damage was kept to a minimal, but after 5-odd years the laptop was in a better condition with that case then it would have been without.

Unless someone can recommend something better? I just need the machine protected on the go, traveling in London sucks at rush hour, there is no such thing as personal space and the way people cram onto the tube is crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.19.58.png
Views:	32
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	468355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.23.25.png
Views:	41
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	468356  
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:14 AM   #2377
porthole2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
What do you guys think of this pairing?

I know Speck gets a lot of crap, but I'm inclined to give them a shot seeing as one of their older shell cases did a decent job protecting my old Pro. Regular cleaning meant debris damage was kept to a minimal, but after 5-odd years the laptop was in a better condition with that case then it would have been without.
New to Mac world and watching all this close. My rMBP replaced a 3 year old Costco Sony laptop at more then 4 times the cost. The Sony - I kept it in an average bag, and didn't care too much about scratches.

The rMBP well it looks too nice to get beat up.

I got one of the Speck covers in clear. I like the way it fits and doesn't add much to the size. And, for me at least, it allows a better grip then the aluminum shell.
I also picked up the fitted incase bag. It is minimal size and fits perfect. The interior has an approximate 3/4" cushion surrounding the rMBP's perimeter. Nice and snug.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:15 AM   #2378
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole2 View Post
New to Mac world and watching all this close. My rMBP replaced a 3 year old Costco Sony laptop at more then 4 times the cost. The Sony - I kept it in an average bag, and didn't care too much about scratches.

The rMBP well it looks too nice to get beat up.

I got one of the Speck covers in clear. I like the way it fits and doesn't add much to the size. And, for me at least, it allows a better grip then the aluminum shell.
I also picked up the fitted incase bag. It is minimal size and fits perfect. The interior has an approximate 3/4" cushion surrounding the rMBP's perimeter. Nice and snug.
Yeah, it's better to be secure then expose the laptop to the elements. I cringe every time I even put this laptop down in case it scrapes against something and marks.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:56 AM   #2379
porthole2
macrumors member

I just went looking on the Apple store site and cannot find the exact products I picked up at a physical apple store.

The links I found and all the negative reviews I saw do not seem to apply to the items I got.

Time will tell with the Speck cover, but so far, it fits perfect, the tabs seem fine and I don't see how they would scratch the unit. On Speck's website they apparently heard the complaints about installing the cover and produced a video showing the correct way to remove and install the cover.

I am hoping that like all my previous Apple products, in a few years I will be able to sell this unit for a decent price and upgrade. So I would like the shell to stay as nice as possible.

The Incase bag that is listed on the website, although similar, is not the same. And I find none of the issues listed in the reviews with the bag I purchased. In fact, I am very pleased with this one, considering how many laptop bags I have bought over the years.

My bag does not have the single side zipper, nor the "charging port" zipper. It also has thick padding around the interior perimeter that the rMBP fits in snuggly, affording decent protection to all four corners. Better than any spot bag I have previously purchased.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:36 AM   #2380
Mortis360
macrumors member

I got a Incase Neoprene sleeve for my rMBP15" and are quite happy with that, otherwhise I got a Lowepro backpack and a wheely cabin bag from Gestobags to put it in when Im going somewhere longer.
 iPhone 5 32GB Black
Mortis360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:32 AM   #2381
aroych2
macrumors newbie

Booq Cobra Slim discontinued!!

I had one and had to give it away to someone dear. Cant seem to find a replacement online since it has been discontinued. Please pm if anyone is willing to sell.
aroych2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro