Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Tazbec
macrumors newbie

DVDs to ATV3

I was given a ATV3 for Christmas and have an iPad 2. I want to Rip my DVDís so they can be played on iPad and ATV (I use a PC not Mac). I am not very technical at all so have come to you guys for advice. Sorry if this has been asked before. Please could you advise what I need to do to achieve my goal and the programs and settings to use. From what I have read on here, I think I need to Rip the DVD first and then use another program to convert to a different format suitable for iPad/ATV? What programs do you recommend using? Also, is there anything special I need to do to get the file from my computer into iTunes? Sorry real novice here!!! Thanks in advance for any help.
Tazbec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:25 AM   #2
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Use MakeMKV (free while in beta) to rip the DVD (perhaps adjust the preferences for minimum title length to 1200s... this will make it skips ads, previews, etc)

Use Handbrake to convert the .mkv file (just use the AppleTV 3 preset)... perhaps go into settings and set it to anamorphic strict... also, add forced subtitles (for foreign parts in movies)

Then use something like iDentify (may be Mac only, not sure) or subler to add metadata info (actors, producers, DVD cover, genre, info, etc)

Then add to iTunes and setup homesharing for your AppleTV... and check/uncheck to sync with your iPad 2

(Sorry, a little rough - mainly just doing this from memory)

EDIT - I started doing this myself for the last month or two. It's been great!

EDIT EDIT - Looks like, according to below, subler is also Mac only =\

Last edited by KylePowers; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

iDentify and Subler are both Mac only. I believe mp4meta is made for windows, but I have no idea if it works well or not.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:36 AM   #4
SpinalTap
macrumors member

PavTube have a range of Windows (and Mac) products that will do what you want. This is a good time to buy, with seasonal discounts.

http://www.pavtube.com
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Tazbec
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! You guys are great. I have converted my first DVD movie using MakeMKV and Handbrake. The file has come out at nearly 2.3GB. Does this sound right? Also, I had an AVI movie that I converted to ATV3 using Handbrake. It was 438MB before conversion and 815MB after. I'm a little confused as to why it is so much bigger. Can anyone help with this?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

You can also use DVDfab to rip the DVD, and yes stick with handbrake to encode for the AppleTV and the iPad (use the apple TV preset) and check forced subtitles).

What move did you rip.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Tazbec
macrumors newbie

What is the difference between DVDfab and MakeMKV? Is one quicker than the other? I used the Apple TV 3 preset - do I need to manually check forced subtitles? What does this mean? I didn't do it this time - does that matter?

I ripped Mary Poppins for my daughter - her absolute favourite. Should make the long car ride tomorrow more bearable!

Do those file sizes sound right? Why did the AVI file almost double in size when converted to ATV3? Is there any way I can play the smaller AVI file on my iPad 2 and ATV3?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazbec View Post
What is the difference between DVDfab and MakeMKV? Is one quicker than the other? I used the Apple TV 3 preset - do I need to manually check forced subtitles? What does this mean? I didn't do it this time - does that matter?

I ripped Mary Poppins for my daughter - her absolute favourite. Should make the long car ride tomorrow more bearable!

Do those file sizes sound right? Why did the AVI file almost double in size when converted to ATV3? Is there any way I can play the smaller AVI file on my iPad 2 and ATV3?
Stick with MakeMKV. DVDfab doesn't offer anything additional. By selecting "foreign audio search" under the subtitle tab in HB, it will search for forced subtitles and if it finds them, burn them in. Mary Poppins doesn't have any forced subs, so you are fine. If you are sure your movie does not have forced subs, you don't have to do it. It does add some time onto the encode. If you are unsure, it can save you time if it finds some you are unaware of by not having to go back an re-transcode the movie again.

Can't help you with the AVI as I have never done one.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #9
slothrob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazbec View Post
What is the difference between DVDfab and MakeMKV? Is one quicker than the other?
DVDfab copies the DVD files, in the same format they were on the DVD, to your hard drive, without creating an mkv. If you are going to use Handbrake, it doesn't really matter which you use. In both cases, the speed is mostly determined by your optical drive and should take from 15-30'.
Quote:
Do those file sizes sound right? Why did the AVI file almost double in size when converted to ATV3?
The original avi was probably noisy, maybe with some blockiness or crawling backgrounds resulting from compression artifacts, and Handbrake tried to preserve this as if it was intentional detail, which took a larger file.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater