Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Took it to Apple Store. It started every button press. Embarrassing.

Same issues after I got it home so I took it in.
They had problems this time, and said that it was related to loose RAM stick.
Strange. I don't move the machine, and it's worked fine for nearly 2 years.

Back home Deja Vu all over again. Video taped the problem and burned DVD on Mini. (38 button presses and 6 power cord removals before it started.)

Wrote up repair for new power supply and PC board that it is attached to. When I picked up the machine,they stated that the issue was a loose video card.(Really?) They ran the hardware test and didn't find any problems. No repair.

I discovered a low power reading from the UPS and plugged it in to another circuit (120 v).

Same issues. Sometimes it starts after 1 press ... or 3 ... or 8.
I'm glad that I have another year on Applecare.

Ideas on the cause? Will it help to speak with the manager?

I primarily use it for Logic, so I suppose that I could get by with one of the new Minis, but I need to get it working so that I can sell it.
Help!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Imho....

Any of the things mentioned in your post can be legitimate (loose RAM stick, loose video card, voltage fluctuating).

Hope you dont have a motherboard acting up. Before going to the manager (I strongly recommend it) document very well your problem. That is, register each and any circunstance in the use of your machine, software used/installed and exact symptoms of your problem. Dont hurt and before and after record of facts, also.

Good luck!

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.