Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I'm looking for something that would be used via USB stick or one of the Mifi type devices.

Preferably, it would be something that allows a purchase of a bucket of data that can be used over time (i.e., purchase 1GB and use it over several months)

I would tether my phone, but it's an iPhone 5 so no jailbreak available.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I'm looking for something that would be used via USB stick or one of the Mifi type devices.

Preferably, it would be something that allows a purchase of a bucket of data that can be used over time (i.e., purchase 1GB and use it over several months)

I would tether my phone, but it's an iPhone 5 so no jailbreak available.

You need jailbreak to tether? :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you want to pay $20/mo through Verizon (my carrier), that's the only option.

I'm on VZW and I have free tethering. Did you check recently to see if you can or cannot.

I saw a commercial for netzero for their mifi device, seems cheap enough, check them out

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I'm on VZW and I have free tethering. Did you check recently to see if you can or cannot.

I saw a commercial for netzero for their mifi device, seems cheap enough, check them out

Are you on a Share Everything plan or individual? Are you using a third party app or the built in mobile hotspot on your phone?

MarkBapist

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
UK
Hey Friend!!

Nice to meet you. If I were you I would go for a sidekick prepaid service plan. It's cheap with it being $1 a day with unlimited text and internet and its well a sidekick. However, get a MiFi device from Verizon Wireless and then use it with a WiFi-only iPad. If you're going to do this, you wouldn't need the 3G iPad, as the 3G would be built into the MiFi.Hope this will be useful for you.

Thanks a lot.
Mark Bapist

Time lapse cameras

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.