Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Apple TV won't recognize remote?

Ok I don't know if anyone remembers the thread I started a few days ago about losing the remote and needing a new one. Anyways, I went to Apple and picked up 1 of the regular ones for like 20 bucks and took it home. I took it out and couldn't get the Apple TV to recognize it and set it down and figured I'd look at it later. Obviously over the next few hours it went back into sleep mode. I went back and now I don't see the icon on my phone for it and the new remote won't work........so now I can't get it out of sleep mode haha! Any suggestions?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Apple TV: How to use your Apple remote for Apple TV
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I know how to use the remote, that isn't the problem. The problem is the ATV didn't recognize the remote & now my iPhone app doesn't seem to have the ATV icon anymore so I have no way of getting it out of the sleep mode. I'm assuming you linked that for the part about pairing it and holding down "Menu" and such......I tried that, my problem is now it won't recognize anything haha
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Your old remote may still be paired to the ATV, meaning the new one won't control it. Get the ATV out of sleep by unpluging the power and then pluging it back in, then try pairing the new remote to the ATV by pointing it at the ATV and holding [menu] and [right] for 6 seconds. If that fails try unpairing by pointing the remote at the ATV and holding [menu] and [left] for 6 seconds.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidy View Post
Your old remote may still be paired to the ATV, meaning the new one won't control it. Get the ATV out of sleep by unpluging the power and then pluging it back in, then try pairing the new remote to the ATV by pointing it at the ATV and holding [menu] and [right] for 6 seconds. If that fails try unpairing by pointing the remote at the ATV and holding [menu] and [left] for 6 seconds.
Thanks!

Actually the problem turned out to be I just changed to a new router and it didn't have wifi and was sitting in "Setting Date and Time..." for forever, I kind of feel like an idiot now though
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I know how to use the remote, that isn't the problem. The problem is the ATV didn't recognize the remote & now my iPhone app doesn't seem to have the ATV icon anymore so I have no way of getting it out of the sleep mode. I'm assuming you linked that for the part about pairing it and holding down "Menu" and such......I tried that, my problem is now it won't recognize anything haha
Yes, I first wanted to Quote part of that link to pair the remote, but I thought you could read it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
Thanks!

Actually the problem turned out to be I just changed to a new router and it didn't have wifi and was sitting in "Setting Date and Time..." for forever, I kind of feel like an idiot now though
Ah, so it wasn't the remote, good it's solved.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater